Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Question about paying pastor

The pastor marrying us is a family friend of my FI's. When we were looking for someone to marry us, she found him, told us she was taking care of the cost, and booked him for us. Now, we find out that he offered his services for free and she wasn't planning on paying him anything.

So obviously we need to get him something. FI's mom suggested a "nice, new" $100 bill in a card at the rehearsal. What is typical? Should we give him cash, check, gift card? When should we give it? I don't know what is usual.

Re: Question about paying pastor

• Options
    I would go with a gift card to a nice restaurant.  Cash, even though very welcomed by all, seems a bit weird when he is giving his services for free.  Atleast a gift card comes off more like a thank you present then payment.  Know what I mean?

• Options
    We did a restaurant gift card in a thank you note, and paid for his hotel room. I agree that cash would seem odd.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Question about paying pastor:[QUOTE]Nope!nbsp; It's not odd to give cash!nbsp; Many of the pastors need it!nbsp; 100 is actually on the low side.nbsp; Daughter's pastor fee was 250, but it included prewedding counseling sessions.Does this pastor have a church?nbsp; If he does, ask his secretary.nbsp; They know everything! Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]
    250 sounds steep for a free service.
    I mean, at that rate OP could have looked around for a different pastor that charges less.
    I think a 100 gift card is more than generous as a thank you gift.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_question-about-paying-pastor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f05f1ed5-9ed4-4230-af8c-0ddfdf14cb70Post:1ab17d8e-8999-494f-9f46-5754147ab47c">Re: Question about paying pastor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope!  It's not odd to give cash!  Many of the pastors need it!  $100 is actually on the low side.  Daughter's pastor fee was $250, but it included pre-wedding counseling sessions. Does this pastor have a church?  If he does, ask his secretary.  They know everything!
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]<div>Did you tip him on TOP of your $250 fee?

</div>
  • Options
    If he is at a church, maybe a donation to his church would be appropriate along with a gift card for dinner?  Also, I would definitely invite him and his SO to the reception.
  • Options
    When we first met our pastor, he told us he does not charge for weddings, and any money paid to him will be a donation to his church. He said he usually receives between $100-$200 but we do not have to pay anything. He is doing pre-marital counseling with us as well! We found a great guy! :) And in our case, we will likely pay him cash so he can use it as necessary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_question-about-paying-pastor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f05f1ed5-9ed4-4230-af8c-0ddfdf14cb70Post:761c9cc4-9165-464e-821b-740b8fca25cf">Re: Question about paying pastor</a>:
    [QUOTE]When we first met our pastor, he told us he does not charge for weddings, and any money paid to him will be a donation to his church. He said he usually receives between $100-$200 but we do not have to pay anything. He is doing pre-marital counseling with us as well! We found a great guy! :) And in our case, we will likely pay him cash so he can use it as necessary.
    Posted by jessicaemery30[/QUOTE]

<div>Hmm, maybe we should give him cash then....I don't know.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards