Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridal shower

I know I do not invite the guests to my bridal shower its the person throwing it. But they asked me to provide a list of people and their addresses.  I live in NJ and I have family in TX am I supposed to put the aunts and cousins from TX on the list even if I know they won't be able to come?

Re: Bridal shower

• First I would find out how many people the perso hosting the showing is willing to have. My BMs picked a place that can hold 40 guests, so they said we can have that many people including myself and them. Second, I gave them the guest list I wanted and it included family that lives far away from me. I gave my cousin in TN a heads up (the place is already booked, shower invites will be going out in a few weeks), She said she will put in for time off to come up for it. The people can always decline if they are unable to make it like PPs said.

Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image
  • Well, is this shower meant to be a "general" bridal shower, in which case you draw up a guest list from your relatives, friends, and others aggregated, or is this a "group" shower in which you, the host/s, and the expected attendees are all members of a particular group, such as co-workers or club members?  If it's the former, I agree with the PP; if it's the latter, I'd draw my guest list from the group membership.  Also, anyone invited to the shower has to be invited to the wedding unless it's a "work" shower where the guests are all co-workers and the shower either takes place at work or in what is clearly recognized as a "work" social setting.

Also, what's the tone of the expected shower going to be like? Are gifts and activities going to lean more on the "fun/sexy/laid back" side, or more on the "traditional/formal/dignified" side?  That would influence my opinion as to who should be on the guest list.

While I myself wouldn't have a problem getting a long-distance invitation to a shower,  there are those who may see it as a gift-grab-especially if you don't know them well or don't see them often.  I probably wouldn't include them on a shower guest list, although I might on a wedding guest list.
  • I say invite them, even if your sure they won't go, as long as your Hostess can accomodate them if they do decide to come.  I threw a Shower/Stagette for my best friend and found out that she had also had one the weekend before in the city she currently lives in, thrown by her friends up there.  She said she hadn't invited me cos she didn't think I'd want to travel up there for the weekend.  I absolutly would have made the trip for that and was disappointed that she made the decision for me.  Invite them and let them decide if they are going or not.    

• I agree with those who have said to find out how many the hostess can host first and then prioritize from there.  Is there someone in TX that might offer to throw you a shower there?  
  • We didn't invite anyone on my side that was long distance but we did invite family on my H's side and I will say, his grandmother rearranged a vacation to attend. I wouldn't count them out. I was really touched that H's grandma was that excited to attend my shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards