Wedding Etiquette Forum

Poll for The Knot Magazine

Hey ladies, take a moment to answer this quick poll for our magazine :)

Re: Poll for The Knot Magazine

• Where's the option for "Are you effing kidding me?"

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-for-the-knot-magazine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f14be254-68d6-4bfe-8627-f69c9a73e31ePost:da6dadc6-b760-4f9f-ae3c-623925f3b9a9">Re: Poll for The Knot Magazine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where's the option for "Are you effing kidding me?"
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

This.

Honestly, this is why brides think all of this crap is ok to do, because TK says it is.

• No wonder why TK magazine sucks...
    Anniversary
  • You Knot Goddesses don't spend much time actually reading the boards, do you?
  • Unless it's black tie or mandated by the venue (some country clubs for example won't allow gentlemen without jackets), then no, just say no to dress codes.
  • We let people know we were having a military ceremony and people were welcome to wear their dress uniforms.  This was done word of mouth though.
    together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The last time I checked my guests knew how to dress themselves. 
    Anniversary
  • I'm only doing a dress code for religious reasons.  It consists of ladies covering shoulders during the ceremony and not having extremely short or low cut dresses.   If the wedding wasn't at our synagogue I wouldn't care about what people were wearing.  I'd show up in jeans if I could.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • No dress code, I included on the website that there would be a photographer and a photo booth (presumably, guests would want to be prepared for pics if they were nervous about that sort of thing) and that it would be hot.  Other than that, I don't care.  I'll be in a white dress... that's all that matters to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Answered "No". And we're spreading by word of mouth that it is a formal evening. Since, for me, it's a second wedding, a lot of people had the impression that we were having a very laid/ untraditional wedding. Otherwise, I'd have said nothing to anyone.
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • I answered no and my venue actually had a legitimate dress code! But, my mother felt it was presumptuous to include it on the invitation so we didn't. We did make a note of the dress code on the Reception tab of our wedding website and casually mentioned it if anyone asked us what they should wear. But otherwise, if people showed up in something that was against dress code -- oh well. Our venue wasn't going to kick them out, so we weren't going to dictate our guests follow it.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-for-the-knot-magazine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f14be254-68d6-4bfe-8627-f69c9a73e31ePost:23f82ae1-210e-4387-89cb-ffc0fe0ca00f">Re: Poll for The Knot Magazine</a>:
    [QUOTE]I answered no and my venue actually had a legitimate dress code! But, my mother felt it was presumptuous to include it on the invitation so we didn't. We did make a note of the dress code on the Reception tab of our wedding website and casually mentioned it if anyone asked us what they should wear. But otherwise, if people showed up in something that was against dress code -- oh well. Our venue wasn't going to kick them out, so we weren't going to dictate our guests follow it.
    Posted by Meegles4[/QUOTE]

This too with us. Our venue actually had a "no jeans" dress code but I knew they wouldn't kick someone out, so I chose to not put it anywhere and hope people would see an evening wedding at a country club and dress appropriately. Some did dress a little more casually than I would have, with khakis and polos, but still it wasn't jeans and not against the dress code. Everyone knew how to dress themselves perfectly fine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I would hope guests know how to come dressed to weddings. Though I just went to a friends wedding this past weekend and a guy showed up in jean shorts, socks up to his knees and a friggin t-shirt. I couldn't believe it. His SO was dressed to the nines and this schmo came in like it was a fish fry.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Grownups get to dress themselves. 

The ONLY time it's OK to say ANYTHING about dress code is if the event is truly 'black tie' or if the venue requires something (ie. many places require jackets)

Oh, KnotGoddesses, don't shell out advice to the contrary! Etiquette has already gone by the wayside without you preaching it as gospel!
  • We stated that it was Black Tie on our invitation, but our wedding was truly a black tie event.  Plus, our venue did have a strict dress code and would enforce it if a guest came dressed inappropriately.
  • Cuss10Cuss10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I'm not giving a dress code, but when people think of a wedding, they usually do think of it as a more formal affair. I'm having a casual beach BBQ wedding and I am letting everyone know this. The guys are in Hawaiian shirts and khaki pants. My guests should know that they should be comfortable too.
  • No on the dress code - we will obviously let people know that it is an outdoor ceremony (in case that will influence how they want to dress for comfort), but other than that, I honestly don't care what they were. Whatever makes them comfortable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards