Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Proof My Invites, Please

Click to make bigger.

Main Invitation:

RSVP Postcard Front:

RSVP Postcard Back:

In the blank space, we are doing a mail merge and printing something like this on our printers at home:

We have reserved 2 seats in your honor.

Mrs. Jane Smith
[  ] Accepts with pleasure
[  ] Declines with regret

Mr. Joe Smith
[  ] Accepts with pleasure
[  ] Declines with regret

Reception Card:

Accomodations & Directions:

Additional Information:

Re: Proof My Invites, Please

• Options
    Looks good, super cute invites btw!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    It sounds to me a bit like a brother and sister are getting married.... am I alone on that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-my-invites-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f1d3b66e-48d2-41d4-b392-1fae2812e37aPost:bd4a2e9e-cb56-46cd-82db-1fcf2b90fba1">Re: Proof My Invites, Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds to me a bit like a brother and sister are getting married.... am I alone on that?
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't see that at all...where do you get that sense?</div>
  • Options
    On the reception card, I don't think there is a comma after "dinner". But it could be one of those either/or rules. Other than that, looks great! I love the design and colors.
  • Options
    I would put o'clock after the times on the reception card so that it matches the format of the invitation.  I think the whole invitation suite is very cute!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-my-invites-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f1d3b66e-48d2-41d4-b392-1fae2812e37aPost:312e280d-1fb1-4c01-beca-a416563416a8">Re: Proof My Invites, Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]On the reception card, I don't think there is a comma after "dinner". But it could be one of those either/or rules. Other than that, looks great! I love the design and colors.
    Posted by Giaspo[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yup, I caught that after I made the JPEGs to upload. </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks everyone!</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-my-invites-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f1d3b66e-48d2-41d4-b392-1fae2812e37aPost:fa45f4f6-b84a-4237-8fb2-6c86919d6c19">Re: Proof My Invites, Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would put o'clock after the times on the reception card so that it matches the format of the invitation.  I think the whole invitation suite is very cute!
    Posted by libby2483[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's a good call.

</div>
  • Options
    Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013

Invitation:

Are the groom's parents hosting with your parents? Is there a reason their names are included on the invitation? If not, it should read:

Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents

request the pleasure of your company

at the marriage of their daughter

Bride's first and middle name(s)

to

Groom's full name

Saturday, the first of June

two thousand thirteen

*four o'clock

venue

address

city, state

*Just stating four o'clock is all you need. It cannot be mistaken for four o'clock in the morning.

Your current wording refers to you and your groom as children, not proper format. Groom's parents don't need to be named on the invitation. If this is a concern or preference then I suggest this wording;

Together with their families

Bride's full name

and

Groom's full name

request the pleasure of your company

to celebrate their marriage

Saturday, the first of June

two thousand thirteen

four o'clock

venue

address

city, state

Enclosures:

Why are there three enclosures? One of them includes information for your website… if you have a website, then why are you paying for and sending three separate reception enclosures with information that you can leave for your website? 

Cut it down to one card. All you need to include is the reception information and the website address at the bottom with one line regarding the hotel and group rate. done. 

The celebration continues with cocktails at five o'clock followed by dinner and dancing at six o'clock.

Hotel Name

street address

city, state

For more information regarding hotel accommodations 

and our group rate, 

please refer to our wedding website

website address

Try reformatting and/or reducing the font size to afford more text space. You should be able to include all the basic information (listed above) on one card.

All the extra information about the checking in/ parking at the hotel is excess, remove it. I also feel the rain card is completely unnecessary, include that information on your website as well. But, if you must include the rain info, I'd try to print that on the back side of the reception card. 

Basically, you should only have three components to your invitations; 1) invitation card, 2) response card & envelope, 3) reception/info card.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Wow...brita722 is incorrect a few times.

I'm pretty sure if there were fathers involved she would have added them.  It's clear to see that the mothers of the bride and groom are hosting the wedding, not the couple with their parents or the bride's parents as she's suggesting.  Stating "Ms So-n-so and Ms. So-n-so  request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their children" IS correct.

Also, you can have more than one enclosure.  Referring everyone to the wedding website isn't appropriate.  It's perfectly fine to have a reception card and a hotel accommodations card as well.  The information on parking is overkill and can be eliminated but I think the rain info is helpful since I typically think more info is better because that day people aren't goin to want to have to reference the wedding website.

The only suggestion that is proper that was made is to add "o'clock".
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-my-invites-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f1d3b66e-48d2-41d4-b392-1fae2812e37aPost:0dd2afea-81d1-42c1-9441-df6c2ca8670a">Re: Proof My Invites, Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow...brita722 is incorrect a few times. I'm pretty sure if there were fathers involved she would have added them.  It's clear to see that the mothers of the bride and groom are hosting the wedding, not the couple with their parents or the bride's parents as she's suggesting.  Stating "Ms So-n-so and Ms. So-n-so  request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their children" IS correct. Also, you can have more than one enclosure.  Referring everyone to the wedding website isn't appropriate.  It's perfectly fine to have a reception card and a hotel accommodations card as well.  The information on parking is overkill and can be eliminated but I think the rain info is helpful since I typically think more info is better because that day people aren't goin to want to have to reference the wedding website. The only suggestion that is proper that was made is to add "o'clock".
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree with this entirely.  FWIW, we had two enclosures in our invites (hotel accomodations on one and directions to the venue on the other).  Not everyone will check a wedding website, so I wouldn't exclusively refer guests there for information.

</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We had an invite and 3 enclousers in a pocket fold envelope.

1)  RSVP card
    2)  Directions  (it was not easy to find even with google maps.)
    3)  FAQ card.  This included information that the ceremony was on the beach in the sand, trolley information and other stuff.

We had a website, but it not used much.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-my-invites-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f1d3b66e-48d2-41d4-b392-1fae2812e37aPost:0dd2afea-81d1-42c1-9441-df6c2ca8670a">Re: Proof My Invites, Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow...brita722 is incorrect a few times<strong>. I'm pretty sure if there were fathers involved she would have added them.</strong>  It's clear to see that the mothers of the bride and groom are hosting the wedding,<strong> not the couple with their parents </strong>or the bride's parents as she's suggesting.  Stating "Ms So-n-so and Ms. So-n-so  request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their children" IS correct. Also, you can have more than one enclosure. <strong> Referring everyone to the wedding website isn't appropriate.</strong>  It's perfectly fine to have a reception card and a hotel accommodations card as well.  The information on parking is overkill and can be eliminated but I think the rain info is helpful since I typically think more info is better because that day people aren't goin to want to have to reference the wedding website. The only suggestion that is proper that was made is to add "o'clock".
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Right. Mine is dead. FI's is absent.</div><div>
    </div><div>We are actually hosting WITH our mothers, but at the advice of CMGr (who I was hoping would come around), this is the wording I went with.</div><div>
    </div><div>Most of our people won't use the wedding website. It was basically an afterthought.

</div>
  • Options
    My advice was based off what I could see on the graphic given... sorry if I misread your host line. I didn't realize the blacked out names were only those of your mother and FMIL. However, I still stand by my advice to avoid referring to yourself and your groom as "children" on your wedding invitation. Just my opinion though, use what you would like.

As far as the enclosures, my suggestions were merely to help keep the information clear and concise. To me, it looked like an awful lot of info on several different cards... in my experience things like this can get lost and people can get confused. I'm always a fan of less is more.

I agree about the website information though. After more consideration, I realize that not everyone uses the internet as much as I do and a website may be useless. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards