Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Do I have to provide transportation for my guests?

I am having a wedding in vegas and the place we want to have the reception dinner at is 5 miles away. Are we supossed to provide transportation or is that not on us? If we give them taxi and limo information in their welcome bags, would that be ok?

Re: Do I have to provide transportation for my guests?

• Options
    Ordinarily, no, you're not obligated to provide transportation for guests. In this situation though, I would see if you can have a few shuttles available to take guests to and from each event. If you're blocking hotel rooms anywhere, that would be the first place to inquire about transportation. 
  • Options
    You never have to provide transportation. It's going above and beyond to provide welcome bags with information. 
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-have-to-provide-transportation-for-my-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f1ff5b8a-3abe-4991-a68d-88edb5ee080aPost:43e6cc02-2ef9-4a8c-84bf-6f2f2418344e">Re: Do I have to provide transportation for my guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ordinarily, no, you're not obligated to provide transportation for guests. In this situation though, I would see if you can have a few shuttles available to take guests to and from each event. If you're blocking hotel rooms anywhere, that would be the first place to inquire about transportation. 
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

This. It's not required but if most guests will be at the same hotel, and it's in the budget, it might be a nice thing to do. I don't know if this is the case, but you might even inquire if you have a hotel block if that hotel would have a free/cheap shuttle you could use since you are blocking so many rooms with them.

If most guests are flying in for the wedding, I would give cab info.

Also, is this all happening on the strip? If so, there is a monorail that runs from one end to the other.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    The restaurant is about 5 miles off of the strip. my FI REALLY wants the dinner here and it is the perfect venue.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-have-to-provide-transportation-for-my-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f1ff5b8a-3abe-4991-a68d-88edb5ee080aPost:847409fb-7fe5-4805-99cf-96ad6a84de32">Re: Do I have to provide transportation for my guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do I have to provide transportation for my guests? : This. It's not required but if most guests will be at the same hotel, and it's in the budget, it might be a nice thing to do. I don't know if this is the case, but you might even inquire if you have a hotel block if that hotel would have a free/cheap shuttle you could use since you are blocking so many rooms with them. If most guests are flying in for the wedding, I would give cab info. Also, is this all happening on the strip? If so, there is a monorail that runs from one end to the other.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-have-to-provide-transportation-for-my-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f1ff5b8a-3abe-4991-a68d-88edb5ee080aPost:2bd6b36e-eaa4-4027-85f2-81f2e6350fa7">Re: Do I have to provide transportation for my guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The restaurant is about 5 miles off of the strip. my FI REALLY wants the dinner here and it is the perfect venue. In Response to Re: Do I have to provide transportation for my guests? :
    Posted by soontobehasrouni[/QUOTE]

I would then check into a shuttle from the hotel (you can ask and see if they offer something complimentary. If they don't, no harm,, no foul). And yes, I would also put taxi info in the OOT welcome bags and maybe also directions in case some people have their own cars in town.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I also agree that it is nice but not necessary to provide transportation.  My reception is slightly farther than 5 miles from our church, and we are not providing anything to get people from place to place.

Out of curiosity, what is there 5 miles off the strip worth going to for a reception?  Not doubting you, but every time I have been to Vegas, the stuff that close to the strip but not "strip" isn't great.  So I am wondering what I am missing...
    Anniversary
  • Options

There are also some parts off the strip that are not exactly the safest place to expect your guests to be travelng on their own. Personally, I'd be a little ticked to be flying into Vegas for a DW an then be expected to provde my own transportation to/from your reception off of the strip (and thus, inconvenient to get to).

Is the venue really more important than the comfort and convenience of your guests?

Definitely look into a shuttle service, at the very least.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-have-to-provide-transportation-for-my-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f1ff5b8a-3abe-4991-a68d-88edb5ee080aPost:facfa344-f19d-4eb6-a71a-f6e0cc2f6a02">Re: Do I have to provide transportation for my guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also agree that it is nice but not necessary to provide transportation.  My reception is slightly farther than 5 miles from our church, and we are not providing anything to get people from place to place. Out of curiosity, what is there 5 miles off the strip worth going to for a reception?  Not doubting you, but every time I have been to Vegas, the stuff that close to the strip but not "strip" isn't great.  So I am wondering what I am missing...
    Posted by lauraanne9[/QUOTE]

I find a lot of stuff off strip to be way better than stuff on-strip. Often, it caters to locals and not just tourists looking for convenience.

OP, I think it would be really, really nice, since it seems like all of your guests will be OOT. We had a majority of OOT guests at our wedding and we provided transportation since I live in an expensive city and the hotel was a little pricey, so I hoped it would keep people from feeling as though they had to rent a car while they were in town. And it worked! All of our OOT guests who stayed at the hotel took the shuttle. A few people stayed with friends in town and got rides.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards