Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cousin Bringing Uninvited Baby to Ceremony & Reception (long)

2»

Re: Cousin Bringing Uninvited Baby to Ceremony & Reception (long)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-bringing-uninvited-baby-to-ceremony-reception-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2b82433-956c-491f-aaa0-d8dedf1e8302Post:0967de10-282d-48ed-be18-039f8aea9a0d">Re: Cousin Bringing Uninvited Baby to Ceremony & Reception (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did everybody miss the part about the OP having her dog as the ring bearer?
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE] I guess you missed the part where I said it was a "snarky" comment. Obviously, my dog is not really the ring bearer; I was being sarcastic...
    Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-bringing-uninvited-baby-to-ceremony-reception-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2b82433-956c-491f-aaa0-d8dedf1e8302Post:647ddb73-308f-45ab-8fe0-4c685b0b4a66">Re: Cousin Bringing Uninvited Baby to Ceremony & Reception (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cousin Bringing Uninvited Baby to Ceremony & Reception (long) : I guess you missed the part where I said it was a "snarky" comment. Obviously, my dog is not really the ring bearer; I was being sarcastic...
    Posted by ChrissyC84[/QUOTE]

You asked for advice, but clearly you have made up your mind about how you want to handle this situation.  What were you seeking by posting this?  To vent?  To have people tell you that you should just continue to be snarky via fb?  I'm frankly surprised that you haven't gotten more snarky responses....normally this board is pretty ruthless about people handling their issues via facebook (rightfully so). 

I agree that you have a right to an adults-only reception if you want, and I get that kids freak you out.  However, you are being pretty a) rigid and b) judgmental here.  You assume that your cousin knows her little one is not invited and is choosing to bring the kid anyway.  You seem to assume that her motives are bad and that a phone call will be pointless.  You seem to suggest that she should leave the kid with her in-laws in the state they live in, and travel out of state for your wedding.  (I might be misreading)  You also are judgey about the age of her sister's SO that no one likes.

My question is why the f--- did you invite these relatives that you clearly really dislike?! 

Nothing can be done about that now, and the previous posters have given you good advice to call and talk to her about this if you are unwilling to bend. Again, I get that you don't like kids, but understand that a parent of a ten month old is generally not going to want to leave the child in another state with in-laws or leave the child with caregivers he or she doesn't know. You are asking for your cousin to respect your feelings, and you need to do the same for your guests. That doesn't mean you have to change your mind and invite kids, but it does mean you don't need to be judgmental and rude about it via facebook.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards