Wedding Etiquette Forum

S/O Tattoos (poll)

Re: S/O Tattoos (poll)

• I have a carnation and greek letters "Rho" and "Gamma" on my left hip.  The carnation is my sorority's flower and the letters are the chapter name.  I love it.  I love that it is always covered up.  I got it as a reminder to myself what one of the best choices of my life was and how much it helped me become the person I am today.  Cheesey?  yes. 

I probably will not get another one because there are only so many covered up places.  Mine is actually bigger than I originally wanted but carnations are hard to make small and not look crappy so I went bigger.  My only regret is even though i went with a great tattoo studio, he did stain a little bit of the area with ink permanently.  The only people who will ever see that though is Andy, my gyno, and me. 

It's always covered up so doing it for a wedding is a non-issue.  If it was more visible I would happily cover it up though.  It's only one day and I realize that tattoos can be a distraction, if you will, in pictures. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • ohwhynotohwhynot member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    I have one on my ankle that I used to love, but now it's getting all aged and smeary (kind of like the rest of me).  It's a crescent moon with a lily, and I got it as a kind of token of freedom after my divorce.  I'd cover it for a friend's wedding, but I'd think she was being ridiculous for asking me to do so. 
  • I dont have any...it is sort of frowned upon in my religion plus I have a crazy fear of needles.

BUT, Roxy, I also have scoliosis and totally uneven shoulders.  :(
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • I have a tiny owl on the inside of my right wrist. It's a doodle that I draw when I'm bored. I doubt I'll get any more, but I have contemplated three more tiny (each different) owls to go beside my original one and then a branch wrapping 2/3 of the way around my wrist. I didn't cover it for my own wedding, so I wouldn't cover it for anyone else.
  • I have 14. I want more. But--when I'm dressed, and my hair is down, none of them are visible (assuming I have a bracelet on to cover the one on my wrist that is!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    How many tattoos do you have? 

If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any?
    Various things on my back, ankle, forearm, and abdomen.
    Yeah I'm most likely getting a quarter sleeve sometime later this year.

What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? 
    Lots of things.

Any regrets?
    Nope. I have some I like other than others, but I don't regret any of them because they all mean something.

Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked?
    No and I would be insulted if they asked. Luckily all my friends have tattoos. 

Bonus points for pics!
    I've posted some before. I don't feel like digging for pics. :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • - How many tattoos do you have?
    One

- If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any?
    It's a heart and star on my lower right hip. I would get one or two more, but I can't decide what I would get and I need to figure out where.

- What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything?
    It's not a normal heart- it's this weird inverted thing that I used to draw all of the time. It was carved into every desk I ever sat in during junior high and high school. I got it when I was 17. Funny thing is, my mom didn't know I had it until I was 22. It's just not visible.

- Any regrets?
    Nope!

- Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked?
    It already would be covered up unless it was a nudist wedding.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • MidgetthMidgetth member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    I have a guitar with a balck rose on my ribs. It's in memory of my brother & it has his name & dates on it.

And I have a second one on my left shoulder blade. It's a flower of Heather (I was named after the flwoer since I was born purple) And it has the ribbon for congenital heart disease with my last name.

And yes I want to get more. I want to get one with my married name on my foot. If someone asks me to cover up my tattoo on my shoulder for a strapless BM dress I would. It is their request. I am NOT covering it for my wedding dress though since I do love it & it means something to me
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • - How many tattoos do you have?

- If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any?
    Both are on my back. I want a third, probably on my foot, and a fourth that I would only get if I didn't have to worry about working, as it would be on my hand and impossible to cover up.

- What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything?
    One is my cherokee name, Little Butterfly, written in the Cherokee syllabary, in front of a bird outline (I used to rehab birds and my spirit guide is the goose, so I'm rather find of birds). The other is a tribal flames of sorts surrounding the headdress of Seshat, the Egyptian goddess of writing. On either side are bear claws, which are a Cherokee representation for good omens.

- Any regrets?
    Nope.

Probably not. But mine are easily covered anyway unless my hair is up.
  • - How many tattoos do you have? 1
    - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? I have a butterfly with tribal on my lower back. No i won't be getting any more
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? I got it when i was 16 i think that time butterflies where huge... but it was more about trying to gain independence
    - Any regrets? it's iffy
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? I'm thinking it would be covered up unless we were wearing mini skirts and tube tops.
    Photobucket
  • edited May 2010
    I don't post on here very often, but oh well!
    - How many tattoos do you have? 1
    - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? On my right leg, on the outer calf. It will be awhile before I get another one. I wouldn't want to get one willy nilly
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? It's a pentacle (I'm pagan) my DH and I both got one (but different) when we were in Salem for our honeymoon
    - Any regrets? Not at all!
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? I guess I would, but I would be kind of sad

~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker

• - How many tattoos do you have? two
    one on my arm and one on my ankle. i am planning a back peice.

- What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything?  ankle means women and strength and my arm is just a flower I designs.

- Any regrets? Nope
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? Sure
    Anniversary
  • - How many tattoos do you have? 6
    - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? One in the middle of my back (cat & crossbones, Diva banenr) , one at the top of my back/nape of neck (compass), one on my left forearm (a phoenix), one on an area covered by my bikini bottoms (large flower and a bee), and one on each thigh (Left thigh is Our Lady of Guadalupe w/banner that says "Remember the Dead" in Spanish and right thigh a Day of the Dead skull with flowers representing the birth months of my deceased grandparents, and birds representing my deceased great-grandmother and cousin)
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? Several are self-explanatory
    - Any regrets? nope
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? no, unless absolutely necessary for church

Oh and I probably wil get more.  Not sure what/when/where though.  Here are some photos:

Crosswalk
  • - How many tattoos do you have? three

- If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? I would like to get a couple more, but I'm not sure what yet.
    ankh-back of neck
    moon and stars-lower back on the right
    fish and cross-inside of left ankle

- What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything?  The ankh is a symbol of life. The moon and stars don't really have a meaning. I just like them a lot. I got the fish and cross when I became a Christian again.

- Any regrets? Yes, the fish and cross since I no longer believe.

- Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? I would if they asked, but all of them are pretty easy to cover with hair/clothes.
  • Mandysmear- I love the saying "May angels lead  you in", that is beautiful.

- How many tattoos do you have?
    Three

- If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? Tribal sun with my kids names on left shoulder (back), joker head with my brothers name and birth and death year on right shoulder (back), a butterfly on left ankle.  I would love to have more!!

- What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? Sun-I always sang "You are my Sunshine" to my kids when they were babies (still sing it to my 6 year old), Joker for my brother who was the king of practical jokes, butterfly- I just like butterflies.

- Any regrets?None

Nope!  None of my friends would ask me to do that.  Most of them all have tats themselves.  I was worried though with our wedding, I didn't know if FIL's knew I had tattoos and I didn't want them to be shocked at the church! lol
    1st pic of us together. Apparently I thought something was funny.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~Holly and Jeff~
    image 232 Made the cut! image 96 Ready to party!
    image 44 Have better things to do!
    image 92 Are going to cause me to have a stroke!
  • I have three.
    I have a shooting star on my hip that I got when I was 15. I wish I had gotten it a little lower. It's not actually on the hip bone right now. I've debated getting it covered with just a bigger shooting star to fix the placement.

I've got comedy/tragedy masks with a treble clef and music notes on my right shoulder. I've been in drama since I was seven, and it's a big part of my life. This is my favorite tattoo. I think I was 16.

I have a fairy sitting on the moon on my lower back. I got it because I have always loved fantasy, and it is partly in homage to the first story I ever wrote. I've always wanted to be a writer. I wish I ahd been more specific on the coloring. I don't like some of the highlights and may get it fixed at some point. 15 or 16 for this one too.

Most people don't know I have any tattoos. I am covering my shoulder tattoo for my Catholic ceremony. They are frowned upon in my religion. I would cover them if asked.
    I want to get a skeleton key, black and grey on my other hip, and maybe a small St. Francis medal. He's the Patron Saint of animals.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tattoos-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f4425e37-0550-4a88-ba2e-b3d82d8c581dPost:2ac6524a-2488-40b3-bae5-1aeec63333c9">Re: S/O Tattoos (poll)</a>:
    [QUOTE]- How many tattoos do you have? 2 - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? stars on my ankle.  "may angels lead you in" on my back between my shoulder blades.  i want more.  yes. <strong> i want a fleur de lis on my wrist.</strong> - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? stars because i love them.  the words were for my mom - Any regrets? nope. - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? no.
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]
    I have one worked into a design on my right-side rib cage!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • - How many tattoos do you have?  2

- If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any?  I have a celtic cross on my lower back and a celtic knot on my toe.  I would love another celtic knot, but not sure where to put it since I don't want it in an obvious place.

- What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything?  I love celtic design, no real meaning though.

- Any regrets? Yes, my toe one is AWFUL.  It looks ghetto.  I need to get it removed.

- Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked?  I would, but I'd be a bit annoyed by it.
  • I have three tattoos--a small star on my right forearm, two shooting  stars on the back of my neck, and a princess crown on my hip. All three are just solid black and the size of a quarter. I would like to get more, but I can never come up with anything that I want enough to actually get done, and I wouldn't know where to put it. I may get my kids names tattooed someday, but I have a couple years to think about that.
    They don't mean anything, I just randomly wanted a star on my arm, so I got it done. 6 months later I got the two on my neck, and 6 months after that I got the crown ("Because I'm a princess!" :) ). I would not cover mine up if asked, because it's small, and its just a star, and I like to be spitefull like that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    - How many tattoos do you have? I consider it 3, but in actuality it LOOKS like more.
    - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? Stars down my spine, a star on each wrist, and a swirl of stars down each calf. There are more Id want but I cant bring myself to pay for them.
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? Nothing
    - Any regrets? A little bit, about the leg tattoos. Theyre coloured and they make me feel kind of awkward in a professional setting so I never get to wear skirts. I really wish I had just left them as black outlines rather than colour them in.
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? No.

(That only shows the top 2.5, There are 6 in total getting smaller as they go down)

• ow many tattoos do you have? 4.

If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any?I have angel wings on my back, my zodiac sign on my lower back (aka tramp stamp) and a tribal design on my hip.
    What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? 
    Honoring passed on family members and strength.

Any regrets?I wouldn't say that I regret my wings but I regret the place that I got them.  This is why I'm getting them removed and I'm almost done.

Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked?No and I would be insulted if they asked.  I was a BM at my friend Pennie's wedding and it was awesome to see all the tats in the dresses.  (I'm on the end)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • - How many tattoos do you have? Just the 1
    - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? Its on my foot. I would love to get one on my shoulder but I need to find someone to draw it for me.
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? Its the Haudenosaunee confederacy flag, but I've changed it a bit (took out the tree and put a turtle and didn't connect the squares)
    - Any regrets? That I paid too much. :) But I love my tattoo.
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? I would wear socks with strappy sandals and ask them which they preferred. But honestly yes I would if it meant that much to them. But I couldn't imagine something on my foot being awful.

Heres the turtle, its a bad pic but just imagine the purple square being a full square and then a smaller square beside the two and you have my tat.

[] [ ] @ [ ] [] <- the @ is a turtle.
    image Married and Junk.
  • My FI and I dont have tattoos. No I wouldnt as a friend to cover hers up
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have 2.

first one on left shoulder:

second on on right heel:

I would like to get more, but FI's not a fan of tattoos. he accepted these two since I got them before we met. They are both representative of my faith (and useful for starting conversations). No regrets whatsoever. And I probably would if asked, but I'd feel insulted about it. however, if it requires me to pay extra money (like for a wrap or a new pair of shoes), then I wouldn't unless everyone else had to buy the new accessories too.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • My Fi has from wrist to elbow tattooed on both arms. He is a computer tech, and has to wear long sleeves all year round. I like his tattoos, but he wishes he had put them on his upper arm so he could wear short sleeves sometimes.
  • ahh, I love forearm tatts on guys.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • - How many tattoos do you have? One

- If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? It is on the back of my neck. It is my sign (taurus) and the symbols for the Roman goddesses Venus, Juno and Ceres.

- What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? They stand for Love, Strength and Grounding. I got it after my divorce to remind me of how strong I am.

- Any regrets? Nope

- Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? If they really wanted me to, but I could always just wear my hair down as well.

I don't have any pics on my work computer. :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The first tattoo I want to get is my zodiac symbol (Taurus), possibly with a few stars around it. If I have children I might get their names of birthdays or something that represents them as a tattoo as well.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • - How many tattoos do you have? 1
    - If some, what do you have and where? Will you get any more? If currently none, do you plan on getting any? I have the infinity symbol on my lower back. I want more though. I want to get "I am my father's daughter" in czech going down my spine, and also a poem I wrote on my right shoulder blade.
    - What does/will your tattoo mean, if anything? My current tat represents my infinite friendship with my best friends. We went and got them done together. It's a reference to "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"... to quote the book "and in that we were infinite"
    - Any regrets? None
    - Would you cover yours up for a friend's wedding if asked? If i had a tattoo that was in a conspicuous place and was large and obnoxious and my friend wanted it covered, I would do it to please her.

I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards