Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Swine Herp Shot

Did you get it?

I'm debating. I should get it because of Mark, but I know there are so many pros/cons of it. Mark's got it, so I don't really need to worry about it that way.

I can get it today in our local comunity where the lineups won't be as long, or I can get it next week in my town and wait in really long lineups. I just can't decide if I want to get it or not.

Re: Swine Herp Shot

• Options
    Yep.  I felt pretty run down for about a day and a half afterwards, but that may or may not have been related - I was really stressed out that week about other things.
  • Options
    I haven't gotten any flu shots.  I have asthma so I should, but I never get flu shots in a regular year and I never get the flu, so I just haven't decided or really thought about it much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't get it.

I've recently discovered that I'm anti-extraneous medicine. A TA I work with told me I was crazy for not getting Gardasil, whereas I think she's crazy for getting it. Other than me having a superhuman immune system (at least I think I do, watch I'll get the herp tomorrow) and being lazy and cheap, I don't have great reasons for not getting it.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    I got it becuase I have asthma AND I'm going to be spending 23 hours traveling in cramped airplanes, flying through Singapore and Heathrow.  It may not be flu season down here, but it sure is north of the Equator.  Trying to find an english speaking doctor in France while I'm sick just didn't sound like fun to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I got a regular flu shot this season and I was fine. I am not allowed to get the H1n1 because I am not in the group of people that can recieve one. I think if catching the flu will jeopardize Mark's health even more, than yes you should get the shot. Are you exposed to sick people a lot?
  • Options
    I didnt and probably wont get it, even though its open to all public to get it here now. I wanted my husband to get it since he works in retail, but he isnt interested and I cant very well force him so It looks like neither of us will. I havnt been sick in 2+ years now, so im not overly concerned.
  • Options
    I got both shots.  I've never had the regular flu shot before, but got it because I'm pregnant.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    No, I'm kinda a hermit, so I don't really think my exposure is increased. I just don't want to be one of those people who is too lazy to get it and then gets H1N1.
  • Options
    I've never gotten any flu shot so no, I won't bother.
  • Options
    I won't get it. I haven't gotten any flu shot this year.  But, I am thinking about getting it for my son.  It seems like he would be more likely to come into the contact with the virus than I would.

On the other hand, my son is rarely, if ever sick and as never had the flu.  I don't know if I want to mess around with a good thing.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pumpkin, if I were in your shoes and it were offered to me, I'd get it - and soon.  Mark's too vulnerable and compromised. Have they given it to him yet?

I'm not in the categories to get it yet, but I get the regular flu shot each year.  One of my coworkers has had H1N1 already, and another one's daughter had it. Neither wants to repeat it.

PS - how are you feeling today? Any better than yesterday?
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    I wish I would have gotten it.

I have the swine right now and I am miserable.  I have never been so sick in my life :(
  • Options
    I got it this year b/c I'm PG. It was my first flu shot and I didn't have any problems at all with it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_swine-herp-shot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f5bdcf2b-44f5-4cda-b521-7620ece96537Post:11ccf2db-6713-4704-a00a-2fa3ad140ba0">Re: Swine Herp Shot</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pumpkin, if I were in your shoes and it were offered to me, I'd get it - and soon.  Mark's too vulnerable and compromised. Have they given it to him yet? I'm not in the categories to get it yet, but I get the regular flu shot each year.  One of my coworkers has had H1N1 already, and another one's daughter had it. Neither wants to repeat it. PS - how are you feeling today? Any better than yesterday?
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

Mark got the shot, yes...My FMIL just called to tell me the kids are off school today, so the clinic might be more busy than what I expected.

I'm feeling much better today Missy! Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    I didn't get it.  I'm in the low risk group - young, no under-lying health issues, no small children, don't work with children, healthcare, or the general public.  I figure because of this, my chances of getting it are low and, because I'm young and healthy, I should be able to fight it off with no problem if I do get it.

That and I've never had a regular flu shot.

Plus, I'm pretty sure it's not being offered to the general public in my area right now, anyway.  Just kids and the elderly and people that work with at-risk people.

If I were you, I probably would get it if it were offered to me  simply because Mark's immune system isn't what it should be right now.  But, it's your choice.  What does Mark think?
  • Options
    Do they know how effective the H1N1 shot is?  I know the seasonal flu shots are only about 40-60% effective.  Even though Mark got the H1N1 shot, he may not be completely protected against.  So, it might be a good idea for you to get the shot in order to decrease your chances of transmitting it to him (and protecting yourself, of course).  Does that make sense?  Also, I could be totally talking out of my butt right now.
  • Options
    Mark doesn't really think much. He's not worried because he got the shot. I just don't know what to think about it. Maybe I'll give it the weekend to think about it, there's 3 clinics in town next week.
  • Options
    I got it and had no side effects at all. My arm was sore after the regular flu shot and I felt pretty worn down for a day, but that didn't happen with the h1n1 shot.

I've never gotten the flu shot before in my life, but since I've got the pregnant thing going on I did it this year.
  • Options
    I'm supposed to have it because of my asthma but it is so rare for me to get the flu I avoid the shots.  People at my work have come down with the H1N1 but touch wood it hasn't spread like wildfire.
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear it, and after I posted that asking about his shot status, I re-read your post... reading fail for me!

If it makes any difference, I work at a medical school, and the medical educators I've talked to would all get it in a heartbeat if they were eligible.  My SIL, a nurse, got it as soon as it was available, and they got it for my 4 year old nephew, too. My brother did not get it - his exposure to the public is limited and I also don't think he meets the criteria if they have the same ones we do here (he is currently out of a job right now; is still job searching).  He's gotten the regular flu shot in the past when he's been employed.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    I am getting it next week, it was offered to me because I am a teacher.

I started getting it when I was in HS and my brother was being treated for a brain tumor and contained since then.  

I would absolutely get the shot in your position.  Mark's immune system is compromised and I would not risk bringing anything home to him.  
  • Options
    No, I am not in any of the high risk recommended groups. If I was, I would have gotten it along with the seasonal flu shot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards