Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Way to honor Grandmother who can't be there...

All of both me and Fi's grandparents have passed except my grandmother. She is in a nursing home far from the wedding and there is no way she would be able to attend. I want to do something to honor her, but not stick her on the memorial table since she is still living. Any ideas?
Marieke & Michael 5.14.10 Loving life with our 2 boys Anthony (3.22.08) and Dominic (due 2.14.11)!!!

Re: Way to honor Grandmother who can't be there...

• ditto Cat. I understand that she's your grandma, but unless you're going to mention your aunts and uncles, or cousins, or dear friends who can't attend in the program, I'm not sure you have to mention grandma either. And I agree that it would be awkward to mention her in a "memorial section". How about if you make a cute sign (or make it two) that says "We love you grandma" and at some point in the day, have a picture taken of you and your groom holding them. You can send that photo to grandma. It would make her day.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I doubt that your uncles and aunts see themselves at the same level in the family as your grandmother.  Therefore, I doubt that any uncle or aunt would expect to see themselves in the program simply b/c your grandmother is in the program.  Who cares if the rule says that if someone isn't in attendance, they shouldn't be listed.   This is the real world and your grandmother means alot to you.  If you want to, put her on the program.  It's your wedding, you can do whatever you want to do.  At the end of the day, it's not about some stupid Miss Manners rule.  It's about you honoring your grandmother.  I'm sure she'd treasure the program when she sees what you did.  No one is going to look at you funny b/c she was not able to attend and you put her in the program - unless that person is a MORON, with a capital "M."  She's in a nursing home for goodness sake.
  • Could you use her favorite flowers somewhere in your reception or ceremony site?  Then you could put a note in the program like "The pink roses in the centerpieces are in honor of Beantown's Grandma Mary, who couldn't be with us today."  (It might also be a nice idea to send Grandma a similar small arrangement on your wedding day with a note saying you'll miss her but are thinking of her.)
  • Maybe your mom could get her to write a letter of congrats to you that could be read at the reception or included in the program?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards