Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Head Table Issues

Our reception venue is small and Iam trying to figure out the best seating arrangements as possible. The only place the head table will fit is along the side wall of the room. There must be a long table because there isn't enough room for enough round tables to fit the bridal party. There are 14 of us, 6 groomsmen, 6 bm's, and us. Of course I am wanting to seat spouses next to each.

Would it be weird to have the spouses seated across from each bridal party member? Do we leave the space in front of us empty since most people want to see the bride and groom and since there is a head table floral arrangement directly in front of us that cascades off the table?

What do you think?

Re: Head Table Issues

• Options
    I think seating the spouses and dates across from each other is fine, but will it look like a battle of the sexes stand off? Is there a reason they can't sit next to each other?

Do we leave the space in front of us empty since most people want to see the bride and groom and since there is a head table floral arrangement directly in front of us that cascades off the table?
    I think that'll look really pretty.
  • Options
    Personally, I would rather sit next to my H than across from him. I guess I would leave the space in front of you open, it would make any photos for toasts, etc. easier. It also might make it easier for guests to come up and talk to you.
  • Options
    I'm going to vote for not a head table.  I think with 12 WP members it would be better to have a sweetheart table and 2 round tables of just WP/SOs.  But if you are really wanting a head table, I think what you've described would work, but it would be a huge table with a lot of people's backs facing your guests.  That is personally why I like the other option.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    There is no option to not have a head table. The long table must be there. No more rounds will fit and neither will a sweetheart table. The room is so small that it won't matter that their backs are facing anyone. It won't be on a dais and other guests will be seated very close to it. Thank you Simply Fated. Its just the way I want it with my girls on my side and vice versa.
  • Options
    Could you do a round for you and then (yay!) H, and have rectangles on the sides with the BP? That way people get to see you and the BP is right there. If not, I think leaving space infront of you in the way to go. 
  • Options
    What you have proposed sounds great. Does everyone have a so?
  • Options
    Ditto Stage.   I'd have the spouses mixed throughout the seating arrangement.  
  • Options
    I think this is called a King's table.  It sounds like a great way to work it.  I also like the idea of putting SO's next to each other so it's not so boy/girl segregated.
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas, Ladies! The mini round table in the middle with two rectangles attached is a great idea! Definitely doing that now.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_head-table-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f68912f5-458c-43ab-99ee-19a06d37802ePost:a2fe4819-1295-4933-bb91-88ad7dbab664">Re:Head Table Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is no option to not have a head table. The long table must be there. No more rounds will fit and neither will a sweetheart table. The room is so small that it won't matter that their backs are facing anyone. It won't be on a dais and other guests will be seated very close to it. Thank you Simply Fated. Its just the way I want it with my girls on my side and vice versa.
    Posted by Sharpschruter22[/QUOTE]

In that case I think your plan will be fine.  I do like the idea of sitting the WP next to their SOs

• Options
    I like everyone's suggestions.  I think it will be really nice!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_head-table-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f68912f5-458c-43ab-99ee-19a06d37802ePost:f532a251-f68c-46dd-b8b9-de8f4229f153">Re: Head Table Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Skip the head table.  They're outdated, and you will be happier without hundreds of eyes watching every forkful of food that goes into your mouth. We sat among the guests.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

There is not enough round tables. There HAS to be a long table and it just makes sense for that to be where we sit. I don't care if it is outdated or not. I like head tables and would not be happier without one. I'm glad it worked for you, but it would not be my preference.
  • Options
    if you must do a head table, id put spouses next to their Wp member rather than across. 
  • Options
    Of course traditionally spouses were never seated next to each other at dinner- the horror! Idea being they would be bored with each other's company and/or boring to the other guests as they just talked to each other all night.

I think your idea sounds quite lovely with the arrangement in the middle, I just don't share the consensus that seating people with their spouses is a must do.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    My question wasn't about spouses being seated next to or across from the wp and I see it was taken that way. My question is about having both sides have people instead of just one side of the table being used and if that will look weird or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards