Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

wdyt?

My SIL very generously got us some gender neutral baby stuff for Christmas.  I know she struggled with finding some basic things, but I also think she's just so excited that we're having a kid (she has 3) and likes buying stuff. 

Now that we know that we're having a girl, I was thinking about exchanging what she got us for a different color scheme - same product, but just different colors.

1.  Is this terrible of me?
2.  If it's not, do I ask her if it's okay with her?
BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: wdyt?

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I always thought gender neutral in baby = that cute green or yellow?  What color are you thinking of getting?

edit: If it's new born stuff she'll outgrow it in two weeks anyway and once it's covered in spit up and leaks from poopy diapers, the color won't really matter ;-)

and it took my 14 refreshes to post this edit...grrrr
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal. What did she get you? I love baby stuff
  • Options
    Well, nothing matches right now. 

She got us some white and pale brown receiving blankets, a bright blue and red dot blanket, and a set of animal print booties that are really nms (plus she said that they were the only gender neutral choice).

She got us some other cute onesies and sleep sacks that are adorable and I definitely want to keep.

• Options
    If it is stuff you are using to design the nursery, I say go ahead and exchange it and maybe mention it in passing to her (or when she comes to visit). If it is clothing or other items that you will be going through like crazy, I say don't bother!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Exchange it for what you want. I doubt very much that she'll even remember the specifics of what she bought you by the time the baby comes. And even if she does, just put the baby in some of the things you DO keep when she comes to visit so she'll never even know the other things aren't still around.
  • Options
    I think you'll find that you'll be just glad you have some extras laying around that you won't give a rats ass what it looks like.

It's amazing how fast and quickly those babies go through things. I say keep them.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Aw cute. Yeah, if it doesn't match, I don't think there's any problem in returning it.
  • Options
    Wait. Every single baby thing you have has to match?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    BUT Fisch does bring up a good point. My niece and nephew went through 2-3 changes of clothes and blankets the first couple of months because they spit up a ridiculous amount
  • Options

If you really want to then I would just go ahead and exchange it. She tried really hard to make it gender neutral because she didn't know the gender, now that you know, I doubt she'd care if you went and exchanged it for girl stuff.

But, if you plan on having more children later on, I would just keep it. You might have a boy the second time around and it wouldn't hurt to have that stuff around.

• Options
    Am I just totally missing why a girl can't use a brown, white, or red and blue polka dot blanket?

If she isn't in pink 24 hours a day, will she spout a penis?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    It's not the clothes - those I plan on using.

We live really far away, so she'll never come to visit (3 kids + airplane = no go), it's just more the principle.

The stuff isn't really boyish, and no fish, it doesn't all have to match.  But it doesn't really go, and while I still have the time to be ocd, I'd like to give in to it. 

It's just the booties and blankets...the blankets are okay, but animal print is really nms.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wdyt-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7c137a1-3399-414d-b89c-e5225b4e665ePost:83818dcd-7d4a-4a02-b5cf-9c81618c77fa">Re: wdyt?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If she isn't in pink 24 hours a day, will she spout a penis?
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

Is that a chance your willing to take with Baby Sucrets?
  • Options
    I would just keep them. Like Fish said, it'll be nice to have extras and you know you are gonna get a shiit ton of stuff of other stuff (esp blankets, booties) at your shower. If they really bug you though, then return them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wdyt-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7c137a1-3399-414d-b89c-e5225b4e665ePost:83818dcd-7d4a-4a02-b5cf-9c81618c77fa">Re: wdyt?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I just totally missing why a girl can't use a brown, white, or red and blue polka dot blanket? If she isn't in pink 24 hours a day, will she spout a penis?

Oh hell no will she be dressed in pink all the time!  I love that we have a lot of green and yellow stuff for her to wear (those happened to be my wedding colors).

• Options
    BUT, what if animal print is Baby Sucrets' style?? ;-)
  • Options
    I saw you let her pick what she wants to wear everyday. In order to do this, you must have an extensive selection to chose from. Which ever she projectile vomits on in the morning, she wants the one to the left of that one.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wdyt-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7c137a1-3399-414d-b89c-e5225b4e665ePost:180cd80c-4a50-4999-811b-32cf95b48075">Re: wdyt?</a>:
    [QUOTE]BUT, what if animal print is Baby Sucrets' style?? ;-)
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

Baby sucrets is not entitled to opinions until she can express them.  :-P

• Options
    Honestly I would just keep them. If you are having a baby shower and registering or anything you will get a million blankets that do match, and you won't really care about a few that don't. Especially receiving blankets (those are the big ones that you swaddle with right?). We went through a ton of those from spit up, diaper leaks, etc. And for stuff that really wasn't my style, it's nice to keep extras in the car, diaper bag, or at grandma's house (or anywhere she will be spending lots of time).

If it is nice bedding or anything that you will want to go with the nursery, I would want that stuff to match though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/5f/c/AAAADMOl_bEAAAAAAF_Kgg.jpg

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    One of my baby cousins wears a lot of purple and she looks ADORABLE in that. I like it much more than pink for baby girls. Greens and yellows are good too. :)
  • Options
    Aww Fisch, I want it...minus the gigantic headband though.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, the head band MUST go.

I have a friend who puts those on her poor child all. the. time. It's horrible.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Okay, okay, I'll keep them. 

• Options
    Headbands are cute once the kids have hair. And if they aren't the super-tight, squeeze your brain kind.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wdyt-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7c137a1-3399-414d-b89c-e5225b4e665ePost:53169ef9-28bf-4b7d-ad71-c8952c44c69a">Re: wdyt?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah, the head band MUST go. I have a friend who puts those on her poor child all. the. time. It's horrible.

Brain catchers?  But what if the kid NEEDS one??

• Options
    Sooks, your child will not need a brain catcher, she'll be a brain snatcher.

Maybe we should buy them for the other kids in the neighborhood?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I LOVE those hats/headbands with gigantic bows or flowers.
  • Options
    HollyBear, that does NOT surprise me, dollface.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I would just keeps them.  I think you are kind of overthinking this.  Does everything you own match everything else??   I doubt it does.  You certain things for certian occasions. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards