Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Remodel our kitchen

We're getting new countertops.  The cabinets are OLD.  Totally plain, flat doors, painted white, with brushed nickel knobs & pulls that are new/modern.  Wood floors, in a pretty light color. 

The counter tops are Staron (like Corian), in this color: 

I need help with the backsplash.  We pulled off the old backsplash yesterday, and found a few things:  The walls aren't drywall at all.  100% cement with a plaster top coat.  Also, the mastic they used to glue the backsplash on (huge pieces of laminate) turned black/brown over the 60 years it was stuck to the walls. 

So, what I'm thinking is white subway tile with white grout.  But, we had planned to have a 4" backsplash that matches the counter, and I have until the dude measures at lunch to change that.  So - keep or loose the matching border, if we do subway tile above that, to the bottom of the cabinets?  Something besides subway tile?  And bonus question - what paint color for the rest of the walls?
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: Remodel our kitchen

• Options
    I love subway tiles!  I voted to leave the band out.  Makes it easier to switch the counters out down the road without dealing w/ the backsplash as well since subway tiles are pretty timeless.
  • Options
    I'm having a hard time picturing what subway tile looks like, but I'm always a fan of accents. You could paint the walls a deep hunter green. If you'r thinking of a lighter tone for the walls, I would stick to a warm neutral color. Maybe a warm tan. If you pick something in the medium to dark range it will make your white cabinets pop.
  • Options
    Wouldn't the corian be a lot easier to clean than subway tile? That wins it, for me.
  • Options
    NO on the subway tile. I was in the home remodeling business (with natural stone) for over 8 years and EVERYONE gets subway tile. Are you looking to keep the backsplash white if you don't go with a subway tile?  
  • Options

Yeah, it would probably be easier to clean.  But I can't do the whole thing in corian, all the way to the bottom of the upper cabinets - because I just can't afford it.  It's about $35/square foot difference in price.  I can't decide if the change in materials looks better flush with the counter top, or with the band on there. 

We don't even HAVE a backsplash behind the stove right now, though.  I'm definitely fixing that oversight as well. . .

Birdie, it's white glossy tile, 3x6 inches, and you lay it in a brick pattern.  It's really cheap, lasts forever, and is period appropriate for our house.  If I can't get those, I'll do white 4x4 tile turned on the diagonal for extra interest. 

DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Sco, yeah, I think white is the best bet.  Price is a big part of it.  I'd LOVE to do the glass tiles, but they're pricey AND with the wall so screwed up behind it, I'm worried that would show through.  Got an alternate suggestion?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    Well we didn't go the best route, but we actually bought 12" x 12" self stick floor tile (not linoleum) and used that as backsplash because we had about a 12" gap. It's defiantly not the best way to do it, but it's an improvement from the painted wallpaper backsplash that was up before and our house is only going to resell for so much when the time comes due to the neighborhood. We got the tiles from Lowes and it was fairly cheap.

• Options
    white tiles + white grout + kitchen = nightmare for cleaning.  I'll never do that again.  But I do like the subway tile idea, just not white and white. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_remodel-kitchen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7c260c1-f973-46a7-bc90-28c45fc29531Post:8b65a20f-8c35-4f79-924d-525572b0ccbc">Re: Remodel our kitchen</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, it would probably be easier to clean.  But I can't do the whole thing in corian, all the way to the bottom of the upper cabinets - because I just can't afford it.  It's about $35/square foot difference in price.  I can't decide if the change in materials looks better flush with the counter top, or with the band on there.  We don't even HAVE a backsplash behind the stove right now, though.  I'm definitely fixing that oversight as well. . . Birdie, it's white glossy tile, 3x6 inches, and you lay it in a brick pattern.  It's really cheap, lasts forever, and is period appropriate for our house.  If I can't get those, I'll do white 4x4 tile turned on the diagonal for extra interest. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is a huge difference--clearly I have no experience with this stuff. My home improvement experience is pretty much limited to ripping out drywall and putting it back up. :(

I think it would look best without the band, but you're right, it is hard to picture it.
  • Options
    Ha, Opal, I've not done drywall, but I've done just about everything else. 

I'm open to other ideas, just need to keep it cost effective. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options

Maybe get a few accent tiles to throw in here and there with the white that match the countertop. Does that make sense?

• Options
    I think with it being period appropriate, you should go with subway tile. It would be different if your house was brand new and you were just using it because it's pretty. Since it matches the style of your home, go for it.

I voted for no band, but depending on what the measuring guy says, I wouldn't hate it either way.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know what you're talking about, but I'd have to be looking at the tile to imagine it.  A horizontal band all the way around that matched might be easier to work in, though.  I can do the tile, but I've not done really complicated stuff before.  Less opportunity to screw up is better.  :D
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    See, I don't like accent tiles mixed in with subway. Accent tiles mixed in with square tiles looks fine, especially on the diagonal, but since subway is bricked, there's no good place to mix in something else.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_remodel-kitchen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7c260c1-f973-46a7-bc90-28c45fc29531Post:1e0995b9-85f1-4b4d-901c-30cdf39b8b4f">Re: Remodel our kitchen</a>:
    [QUOTE]See, I don't like accent tiles mixed in with subway. Accent tiles mixed in with square tiles looks fine, especially on the diagonal, but since subway is bricked, there's no good place to mix in something else.
    Posted by georgia_bride09[/QUOTE]

I meant same size tile, but to throw in some color. If the subway is 3x6 or 4x8, get matching sized tile but in different colors.
  • Options
    Oh, gotcha. Or if you ran a line of different colored thin tile around as a band between rows, it would be a nice accent.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_remodel-kitchen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7c260c1-f973-46a7-bc90-28c45fc29531Post:b53c1273-71c5-4c15-a4ad-4eb21fd5243a">Re: Remodel our kitchen</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, gotcha. Or if you ran a line of different colored thin tile around as a band between rows, it would be a nice accent.
    Posted by georgia_bride09[/QUOTE]

That, too!
  • Options
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  Something simple for the most part, but maybe a bit jazzier over the range for interest.  Probably black, and maybe the reddish color in the countertop.  If I stick with black, it's easier for somebody else later to go another direction with it.  The reddish one is the most limiting choice, I think.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options

You can never go wrong with black and white.

• Options
    Clearly.  I LOVE subway tile.  CHeck it!  (sorry about the mess..this is the aftermath of our housewarming party)

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I love subway tile. Jut sayin'.

But if you do white, I might do a darker grout or accent band.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    If you are doing a backsplash, don't do the 4" matching border.  Those are meant for kitchens without a backsplash (ie. just painted wall, it contains the water).  With a tile backsplash you don't need it and it looks a LOT cleaner without it.  also gives you more space since the 4" matching thing is usually like 2" thick.

Have fun!  Remodeling is SO much fun!
  • Options
    I loooooooooove subway tile.  love.  I vote you do your entire kitchen in it.  The fridge, the floors, all of it. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_remodel-kitchen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7c260c1-f973-46a7-bc90-28c45fc29531Post:2e802705-7fc1-4519-82e8-d470adf35618">Re: Remodel our kitchen</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loooooooooove subway tile.  love.  I vote you do your entire kitchen in it.  The fridge, the floors, all of it. 
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]

The fridge might be a bit much.  :D 

The countertop guy is measuring now, and H is having him not include the 4" backsplash piece.  Now just gotta go to the tile store and pick out exactly what we're going to use. 

Now, if only we could add about 1000 sq feet to the house while we're at it. . .
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options

I don't think you'll regret the subway tile.  We did it in our bathrooms too around the bathtubs.  So awesome.  I smile everytime I see it.  And we did white grout too... you might not be able to tell from the photo...

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Do you have trouble keeping the grout clean?  I really dislike grey grout with white tile, it just looks dirty to me.  But, I don't want it to stain either.  Although - it's also just a backsplash and not the counter top.  I don't generally fling food all over the kitchen.  I just need to keep a lid on the tomato sauce when it's on the stove!
    DIY & Planning | Married 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards