Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

East Coast Ladies

How is everyone holding up after this last snow storm??

My parents live west of Philly & the pictures they were sending me were insane.  I do not miss living there right about now.

Re: East Coast Ladies

• Options
    I live in the city of Philadelphia and things are moving.  It's still a state of emergency here (I think) so most places are closed today.  I know they closed 476, 676, and 76 last night.  But SEPTA is up and running today and most streets in Center City are plowed.

I was out last night walking around and it was lovely.  So many people have such nice pictures of the snow and everyone is so friendly.  I watched many neighbors help pull a fallen tree off someone's car last night.  The car didn't look damaged (4 feet a snow provides a nice cushion).  And many many people had their tubes and sleds out.  I think a lot of them were sledding down the Art Museum steps!

I have a skewed view, though... the city takes care of center city so it's a different story everywhere else.
  • Options

Yeah its been nuts.  I live in Delaware County (about 10 minutes from the Philly airport), and its just nasty out.  The streets are plowed here, but they're also covered in a sheet of ice which makes it tricky to dive.  AND...we're supposed to get snow again on Monday Yell

• Options
    I'm going crazy. I've been in the house for 4 days. Looks like things might open up by tomorrow though. It's sunny today here in DC.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Not on the East coast, but it's snowing in Louisiana right now. Not where I live, but four hours north, where my parents live. This makes three years in a row that Louisiana has seen snow, which I think is unprecedented.

EDIT: It just started sleeting. The collective IQ of my city drops when any kind of precipitation, even rain, falls from the sky. I can't imagine what the roads will be like by this afternoon if this keeps up.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coast-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f8fa9054-e2a1-4f08-912f-7d3105bdad8aPost:1c056f9e-6e9d-4370-8255-e8f8f5c1f353">Re: East Coast Ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE] AND...we're supposed to get snow again on Monday
    Posted by cmhershey[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?  NO!
  • Options
    Indianapolis got snow right before the east coast on both storms, but did not get anywhere near what was projected or what everyone else got.  We have maybe 5 inches on the grassy areas. 

I remember the blizzard of 1997, and this tops it by far.
  • Options
    Things are starting to look better. We are about 2 hours northwest of Philly and had one of the more concentrated areas of snow from this storm. The snow was steady from Tuesday around 7 pm through Wednesday midnight. We picked up around two feet but now are dealing with wind and drifting. It was the first time in 7 years we had to close our business for 2 consecutive days. Hopefully towns and roads will be out of the snow emergency tomorrow and we can reopen.
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coast-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f8fa9054-e2a1-4f08-912f-7d3105bdad8aPost:c589894f-6afb-480b-8936-3bf92d598cd8">Re: East Coast Ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: East Coast Ladies : Wait, what?  NO!
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Yup.  Its not supposed to be as bad of a storm.  But still, with all that's on the ground now, it can't be good.
  • Options
    We got it here so so.  I don't think it was quite as bad as it was supposed to be, but still around a foot in some places.  I took a personal day yesterday because I couldn't get out of my driveway, much less down the street.  They didn't actually get to plow said street until around 2pm. 

Today the roads are a lot better, but still pretty snowy and gross in some spots.  Left really early and still got in 10 minutes late.  That said, a lot of other people got to work even later.  Meanwhile I have a friend flying in today from Cali and another taking the train from MD so hoping both get in safely.
  • Options
    We got a little less than a foot in south eastern CT. The major concern today was ice everywhere since is sleeted/rain a tiny bit towards the end of the storm. Schools were delayed but not cancelled. Yesterday was the first day all winter I got to "work from home" because of the weather. It was glorious!

I do know MA didn't get it as hard as they thought they would.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coast-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f8fa9054-e2a1-4f08-912f-7d3105bdad8aPost:5d93ed80-cb7e-446a-91ea-a5cd95d4d4e4">Re: East Coast Ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: East Coast Ladies : Yup.  Its not supposed to be as bad of a storm.  But still, with all that's on the ground now, it can't be good.
    Posted by cmhershey[/QUOTE]

I heard this as well...Monday or Tuesday!  Its horrible!  I am flying back to PA for my bridal shower the 28th and I am praying to god that I can get back, this month has just no being going well!
  • Options
    dc area here. this is my 5th consecutive day of the office being closed/working from home. holding up fine. getting a little cabin fever maybe, but no biggie since i'm a homebody anyway. we never lost our power, i'd be singing a different tune otherwise i think. our pear tree lost 2 major branches, and our next door neighbor seems to be having some gutter problems. oh and we're mailbox-less until this shiit melts and the ground thaws. otherwise it's been...neat.
  • Options
    I WANT A SNOW DAY DAMMIT. Sorry for yelling, but the entire country has gotten this neat weather phenomenon and I'm jealous. But, it's supposed to snow tonight, so maybe I'll get my wish.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    We're starting to dig out at my apartment complex and the snow is melting off the trees. We had two large pines go down outside the building during the storm yesterday (one landed on an suv, ouch) and it was insanely cold yesterday. My dog took two steps into the wind, peed on the sidewalk and came back inside (normally she loves the snow).
    I was reading one article yesterday where DC called their plows off the main roads (95, 66, 495) for a few hours yesterday because it was so bad.
    More snow coming Monday DC people (only 4")

Lets see...today is my *counts on her fingers 6th consecutive day off (not including the weekends) and I don't go back to work until Tuesday (if we don't cancel Tuesday due to the Monday storm).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards