Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invitation Wording Conundrum - Need Help Pls :)

My parents are divorce and both remarried (to people I consider very important in my life). FI's parents are still married. Three sets of parents in total and all of them are contributing to our wedding. The order of who is contributing the most is as follows:

Me and FI
Grooms Parents (married)
My mom and step-dad & My dad and step-mom (each contibuting the same and combined equal to the Grooms parents).

I was speaking to my FMIL on the weekend and she indicated that she'd like her name to appear on the invitation, which means all 6 parents names need to appear, as well as ours (we are still covereing the lion's share).

I would LOVE to do "Together with their families..." but I don't think anyone is going to go for that.

How on earth do I word this? Your help is most appreciated!

Re: Invitation Wording Conundrum - Need Help Pls :)

• em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Could you just do last names?. So your last name, FI's last name, and your stepdad/mom's last name, assuming she took his and assuming you have your fathers?

So it'd be (it whatever order you like):

"The Smith (yours and your father's/stepmom's), Doe (your stepdad and mom's), and Thomas (your FI and his married parent's) families humbly request your presence....."

April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • You can do it, it will just be a little wordy. I've seen it, though.

Jane and John Smith
    Susan and Mark Jones
    Tina and Robert Johnson

request the honour of your presence at the marriage of their children

Christina Lynn Jones
    and
    Matthew Robert Johnson

Saturday, the tenth of September...
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In your exact situation. 

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (bride's mother)
    and
    Mr. and Mrs. Johnston (bride's father)

request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daughter

Jane Johnston

to

David Walker

son of
    Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Walker

date
    Time
    place

ETA:  I paid for about 50%, my mom paid about 45%, my dad about 5%.  My husband's parents didn't pay for anything except rehearsal dinner, but gave us a significant gift for the honeymoon.  Who do you see as "hosts"?  My parents are very traditional and they were the "hosts" regardless of who paid what.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards