Wedding Etiquette Forum

Curious - NWR (kinda long)

2»

Re: Curious - NWR (kinda long)

• Chumlee, that's an adorable and hilarious story. :) Bull mastiffs are also giant babys.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_curious-nwr-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fbd334d9-7f94-41fd-aa01-96644dc3ea0bPost:d5b7c4e0-76ac-428d-ab6a-89462631e302">Re: Curious - NWR (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Curious - NWR (kinda long) : Ok, seriously, those pictures can't get cuter!!! One of my friends has a rottie, and he is by no means a vicious dog. He's a teddy bear!!! She did have a little issue when she brought her baby home though.  Jericho the Rottie thought the baby was HIS, therefore, the baby was HIS to protect.  He would let my friend near the baby, but her husband, her parents, friends, etc, were not as welcome.  There was some training involved in letting Mr J know that while his guard dog efforts were well appreciated, my friend's husband put a roof over his head, fed him, and was actually the baby's father.  The baby (ok, he's now almost 2) can lay on the dog and the dog just lays there like it was his duty in life to cuddle him.  He's still super protective, just a little calmer now. At least that dog protected the baby though. Their other dog, a bull mastiff, would let Jack the Ripper in the house if he threw him a steak first. 
    Posted by chumlee7478[/QUOTE]

That is so awesome!   I mean, not the part about the pooch not wanting other people near the baby, but, that is why I love dogs.  They love their people.  I fostered a bull mastiff for a while. I have never seen an aggressive mastiff... they would rather be sleeping.

Last year we had some friends visiting from the east coast who had a toddler who was just learning how to walk.  She was sound asleep on the couch with blankies and pillows all surrounding her.  Mom got up and went to the bathroom... and in those few minutes, little toddler woke up, got off the couch and went and curled up with my boxer on her bed.  I walked out of the bedroom and she walked out of the bathroom and we saw my boxer and the baby spooning.  It was so sweet.  We were also horrified that the baby woke up and waddled over there in less than 3 minutes... but, wasn't much we could do about that in the moment.  Needless to say, we all started watching her a little more closely after that.   We didn't realize she had gotten that mobile !!
  •   I don't know about your animal laws, but were I live, its actually animal abuse to leave an animal tied up for any amount of time. You might call and find out if it is in your area. Even with water, shelter, if you tie an animal to something they will fine, or pull the animal here. Its considered danger for the animal because they can hang, or choke themselves if they get tangled up.
       I worked in a shelter in high school, intact, unsociable, pit bulls were shipped off to be put to sleep almost the next day. We were a no kill shelter, so all our animals that were to be put to sleep were sent to the county were they had a vet on staff to do that. 
      I cant stand people like that. I don't think I would of been as nice, and I feel so bad for that dog. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_curious-nwr-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fbd334d9-7f94-41fd-aa01-96644dc3ea0bPost:cbac5400-cf04-4ec4-9b0d-a294c3e3c693">Re: Curious - NWR (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>not out of line at all, I probably would've started a huge scene, and likely slapped her.</strong> Pit bulls and the treatment of are one subject that infuriates me... especially when asshats like that raise the dog in those conditions, and then blame the breed for the dog attacking other dogs and people.   I applaud your self control and willingness to help... Lord knows I would've been unreasonable haha
    Posted by mrskaiser22[/QUOTE]

This!  Probably with the back of my hand, 10 times over.  And everything else people have said.

Animals don't care about etiquette and since this really is a matter of life or death, I don't think we need to mince words here.  I don't really see it being an etiquette issue.  Most of your guests were probably cringing as well.  And if she is going to admit to 1) being an animal abuser and 2) not caring about it (even though she know's better), then she should be prepared to explain herself.  Or try (and miserably fail).   

I would say talk to the authorities at least since while it's 'needs' are being met, she is mistreating the animal and she doesn't want it anyway, so why not let the SPCA or whoever remove it from her home?

Stupid people like this really get my goat.  At least you tried educating her and maybe in the process you educated some of your other guests as well.  I think you tried your best. 

And didn't anyone ever watch The Price is Right?  Spay and Neuter people!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • and PS, the photo of your dogs is adorable.  We have a rescue dog and a 'whoopsie' as well.  They're the best !
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_curious-nwr-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fbd334d9-7f94-41fd-aa01-96644dc3ea0bPost:8748e5ee-662d-4496-b6ef-87d9523212e3">Re: Curious - NWR (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I don't know about your animal laws, but were I live, its actually animal abuse to leave an animal tied up for any amount of time. You might call and find out if it is in your area. Even with water, shelter, if you tie an animal to something they will fine, or pull the animal here. Its considered danger for the animal because they can hang, or choke themselves if they get tangled up.    I worked in a shelter in high school, intact, unsociable, pit bulls were shipped off to be put to sleep almost the next day. We were a no kill shelter, so all our animals that were to be put to sleep were sent to the county were they had a vet on staff to do that.    I cant stand people like that. I don't think I would of been as nice, and I feel so bad for that dog. 
    Posted by malakelle[/QUOTE]

I already have contacted the SPCA and Animal Control.  They have said that unless the animal is being PHYSICALLY abused, they cannot take any action.  And, that leaving it contained or tied up, is not considered abuse.  I live in Oakland, CA.  There are stray pitbulls all over the damn place.  Our shelters have their hands beyond full, so they are really only dealing with the worst possible situations.

I am just going to try to maintain contact with this evil biatch.... and... see if I can arrange for a rescue to pull him from the shelter when she takes him.  I'm also going to continue to try to encourage her to let someone take him for walks. (I thought she was from OOT, but found out she is actually somewhat local to me).  Maybe if I can spend some time with him, he can become a little more socialized and not want to kill the first person he sees at the shelter, and might have a chance. 
  • Cmgilpin, I'm also in the bay area and am sorry to hear you had no luck with the EBSPCA or rescue groups. It seems all the shelters around here are filled with Pit Bulls and Chihuahuas.

The Ohlone Humane Society has an advice line. Maybe you can see if they have any ideas. 510-792-4587

I think it's great that you're looking for ways to help this dog.
  • edited May 2012
    Here's my thought (and I apologize ahead of time if this is an UO): clearly the way a dog is raised makes a huge difference in how it will behave. No one who is into breed-specific bans would ever argue otherwise.   But the problem is, certain breeds are just bigger, stronger, and in general  more capable of causing damage than others if they do have a random bad moment.

Being snapped at by a pit (or rottie, doberman, etc.) is completely different than being snapped at by other breeds.  And there are also dogs that are equally large and strong as pits, but easier to train that pits.  It takes extra care and dedication to raise a dog that is just genetically more powerful and potentially more difficult to reign in.  The owners that do the work are amazing and those dogs become amazing pets.  But left in lazy hands, those dogs can cause tremendous amounts of harm because they are just that powerful and strong.  The sad truth is that unless there is tighter regulation of WHO can own a dog at all, there will always be large, powerful breeds in the hands of people who have no goddamn business having a dog. And those dogs are a huge danger to their neighbors and all of society.  I don't know what the actual solution should be, but I can certainly see the appeal of breed-specific legislation when you (or your kid) have been injured by one.
  • I think the sister was an idiot... I'm not sure what would be the best way to handle that in a completely civil manner.  If this was a child instead of a pet, people would be all over CPS.

I would probably call the sister to try to get involved and save this dog, and if she was offended in some way and let you know I would say that you didn't mean to offend, but this situation isn't good at all and is something you feel strongly about and you have experience in rescuing/fostering dogs.  How can she not be sad the dog will more than likely be killed because it hasn't been socialized?  Or that not having a socialized dog could present a legal problem for her should it get out and do harm?

There are so many dumb pet owners it's crazy!  Also agree with PPs on people that make assumptions about certain pet choices.  We have cats and I get people that tell ask me "Why would you want a cat?  They're not friendly or social."  They can be if you play with them instead of leaving them to sleep all day!  Our kitties are certainly lap kitties!  One even likes playing fetch with his favorite toy.  No clawing or biting with them at all.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_curious-nwr-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fbd334d9-7f94-41fd-aa01-96644dc3ea0bPost:283d2a97-3144-4abc-8a6d-35a1c4893a3f">Re: Curious - NWR (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Curious - NWR (kinda long) : I already have contacted the SPCA and Animal Control.  They have said that unless the animal is being PHYSICALLY abused, they cannot take any action.  And, that leaving it contained or tied up, is not considered abuse.  I live in Oakland, CA.  There are stray pitbulls all over the damn place.  Our shelters have their hands beyond full, so they are really only dealing with the worst possible situations. I am just going to try to maintain contact with this evil biatch.... and... see if I can arrange for a rescue to pull him from the shelter when she takes him.  I'm also going to continue to try to encourage her to let someone take him for walks. (I thought she was from OOT, but found out she is actually somewhat local to me).  Maybe if I can spend some time with him, he can become a little more socialized and not want to kill the first person he sees at the shelter, and might have a chance. 
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>  Do you know how the dog is tied up? Two years tied up can do some major damage to a dogs throat. That would be abuse no matter were its at. I seen even normal rope and halter do some major damange to larger animals.</div><div>  Could you find a rescue to accept him before being put into the shelter. If a shelter thinks a dog is a danger they can, and will refuse to release it even to a rescue. Could you set up a time, and offer to take the dog, and then when you have the dog turn it over?  </div><div>   I just feel really bad for this dog, I love pit bulls, and makes me so mad to see one abused when they already have a bad rap. Just be careful trying to get near him, and tons of good luck!

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_curious-nwr-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fbd334d9-7f94-41fd-aa01-96644dc3ea0bPost:2580ec74-afdc-48fd-8da0-ef10c7b7eaf2">Re: Curious - NWR (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Curious - NWR (kinda long) :   Do you know how the dog is tied up? Two years tied up can do some major damage to a dogs throat. That would be abuse no matter were its at. I seen even normal rope and halter do some major damange to larger animals.   Could you find a rescue to accept him before being put into the shelter. If a shelter thinks a dog is a danger they can, and will refuse to release it even to a rescue. Could you set up a time, and offer to take the dog, and then when you have the dog turn it over?      I just feel really bad for this dog, I love pit bulls, and makes me so mad to see one abused when they already have a bad rap. Just be careful trying to get near him, and tons of good luck!
    Posted by malakelle[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know the "real" story.   The sister said the dog is "tied up in the backyard".  But, in speaking with other people who were part of the conversation, they said she said that he was "tied up when people were there, otherwise, he is just in the backyard".  That must have been one of the moments I had to walk away, because I was afraid of slapping the shizzle out of her. 

I have calls and emails in to a bunch of rescues, but this isn't my first rodeo.  I have done dog rescue for years...  fostered dogs for various rescues and done rescue transport.  So, I know the response I'm going to get from rescues is going to be limited, if at all.  They have their hands full.    The other thing is, I don't have a relationship with this person. So, my access to her and the dog is pretty limited, but for now, I am telling my friend to have the sister contact me, and I am offering to try to find a placement for the dog.  

I hate people sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards