Wedding Etiquette Forum

Let's talk about...

Sending thank you notes after an interview. Is this something you always do? Do you send a paper thank you? Electronic? If you don't is there a reason? Is this something that is normally done nowadays?

I'm only thinking about this because of the job hunting I'm doing now. I completely forgot to send anything, including an email, after my interview on Friday and I'm about to call for a follow up. I wonder if it's too late to send something, even just an email. ??

Re: Let's talk about...

• I've only ever gotten one as a hiring manager. I've never sent a thank you note. I don't think they are necessary from my perspective. Just makes me feel more guilty when I don't hire them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I usually email if that's how the communication started in the first place. But I've also only had 2 real interviews in my life. So basically I'm no help. But hi!
  • I think these fall in the "nice, but not necessary" category, unless the interviewer really did something above-and-beyond for you, like take you out to lunch or something.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Sarah that was another question I had. I wondered if sending a TY note had any effect on hiring.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_lets-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdf56458-5476-4261-bf3a-f1bc6c846774Post:bb5e9270-62ba-4f5f-9689-142f782a3acb">Re: Let's talk about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think these fall in the "nice, but not necessary" category, unless the interviewer really did something above-and-beyond for you, like take you out to lunch or something.
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]
    Ditto.  I think saying "Thank you for allowing me to come in and talk to you at the end of the interview" is enough.
  • I usually send an email too GG because that's how most correspondence starts these days. I just plumb forgot to send it.
  • I always send a TY card on nice stationery.  If your interview was on Friday, I don't think it's too late.  Email is fine, especially since it will get there faster.  I just like to do paper because it's always nice to get real mail and I feel like in a competitive job market, it's something that can help you stand out in the crowd.  

• I will usually send an email. I don't think they're a must, but I think it can help you stand out in a crowd. Make them remember you after you've left, KWIM?

I would think you could send an email thanking them for meeting with you last week, and asking for an update. If you don't get a response, you could call on Friday.
  • I always send a thank you email.  At least to thank them for taking time out of their day to meet with you.

I do a lot of interviewing and I always appreciate candidates more who send them.

FI is also a recriuter and has spoken to many hiring managers who won't even consider a candidate if they don't send a thank you.

I obviously don't think it is NECESSARY to most hiring managers, but to be on the safe side it is always better (in my opinion) to send one.

Electronic is usually more effective since you can send to them soon after.  Snail mail usually takes too long.
  • I've sent emails before.  Never a physical card.  And nothing too suck-uppy.  Generally something thanking them for their time and x aspect was particularly interesting.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_lets-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdf56458-5476-4261-bf3a-f1bc6c846774Post:9650668e-f2a7-4883-a1d7-dc9ee4f092ce">Re: Let's talk about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will usually send an email. I don't think they're a must, but I think it can help you stand out in a crowd. Make them remember you after you've left, KWIM? <strong>I would think you could send an email thanking them for meeting with you last week, and asking for an update. If you don't get a response, you could call on Friday.</strong>
    Posted by tpender13[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a good idea. The interview went really well and I, of course, thanked them for meeting with me at the end. It wasn't until I was about to call this afternoon that it hit me I didn't send anything.
  • When I interviewed for my current position (five years ago), I sent paper thank you letters.  I wrote one to each principal who had given me their card.  After the interview, I wrote something on the back of it to remind me of them and referenced that in the letter.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_lets-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdf56458-5476-4261-bf3a-f1bc6c846774Post:383665f9-85df-442c-aa24-07f7388a0926">Re: Let's talk about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've sent emails before.  Never a physical card.  And nothing too suck-uppy.  Generally something thanking them for their time <strong>and x aspect was particularly interesting.
    </strong>Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of incorporating a reference to an interesting part of the interview in the thank you, so I'm stealing it.  Thanks!
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Email thank yous are fine.  I thank for taking the time to talk to me, go over a few points of discussion (if there was a small joke, refer to that), and if you have one more question that's a good time to ask it.  That way, you aren't looking like a kiss @$$, but you make yourself memorable.
    Photobucket
  • When I was job-hunting, I always made sure to send a thank you e-mail after an interview.  As PPs have said, it gets to them fast, direct, and maybe helps them remember me a little.  It's usually only one or two sentences, like "Thank you for your time, it was a pleasure meeting/speaking with you, etc."
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_lets-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdf56458-5476-4261-bf3a-f1bc6c846774Post:383665f9-85df-442c-aa24-07f7388a0926">Re: Let's talk about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've sent emails before.  Never a physical card.  And nothing too suck-uppy. <strong> Generally something thanking them for their time and x aspect was particularly interesting.
    </strong>Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, that's a great idea.</div><div>
    </div><div>Hmm this is odd to me.  I've received lots of TY cards from recruits and interviewees.  I wonder if it's a southern thing?  Or maybe it's just big in public accounting.  IDK.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA:  Ok, I see that others do this/have seen this too.  </div>

• July2012brideJuly2012bride member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_lets-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdf56458-5476-4261-bf3a-f1bc6c846774Post:a5573699-c38b-45f4-8d6d-2bc90fc135d2">Re: Let's talk about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let's talk about... : Yes, that's a great idea. Hmm this is odd to me.  I've received lots of TY cards from recruits and interviewees.  I wonder if it's a southern thing?  Or maybe it's just big in public accounting.  IDK. ETA:  Ok, I see that others do this/have seen this too.  
    Posted by marriedfilingjointly[/QUOTE]
    This brings up a good point.  It is likely dependent on the industry too.  My company is fast paced and technology focused.  Email makes most sense.  <div>
    </div><div>Other industries I've interviewed in (insurance and banking) I would send an email and depending on the interviewer would follow up with hand-written thank you.</div><div>
    </div><div>Really casual industries may not require.</div><div>
    </div><div>Again though, I always think it is best to at least send one via email if nothing else.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: also, my company makes hiring decisions (at least if they are weeding you out) on the same day as the interview.  A hand written note would get there far after any hiring decision had been made.</div>
  • The thing about this interview was I'm not up against other candidates. It's the company my husband works for and his boss sent my resume to another office in Northern Virginia to see if they had a place for me. So there's nothing posted that others are applying for. It was pretty much a courtesy interview/let's see where we can fit this girl in and if we can't fit her in here, Beltsville will have a position for her.

I sent and email and will follow up with a phone call on Friday if I don't hear back.
  • I used to send paper thank you notes after important interviews when I knew that decisions on my hiring wouldn't be made for a while.  Nowadays, often the hiring committees make decisions within days, so snail mail wouldn't reach them on time, so I email them.
  • My last bout of interviewing was internal to my company and I did e-mail thank yous.  Previously I had always done handwritten but that was in the 90s.  

When you write one you should thank them for their time, briefly re-state why you think you're the best candidate and ASK for the job. 

Good luck with your interviewing!
  • ricksangricksang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I just had my interview last Friday. Here in the deep South for RD internship  interviews they like hand written TY notes so I bought personal pink cupcake TY notes (Good for a dietetic interview :) ) and sent one.

GL with your interview! Knock em dead!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards