Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Anything to make a sale!

So I received a call today from a woman at Macys. She was calling to inform me that now would be a great time to purchase items from my registry, as everything is 25% off until the end of the week. And to be sure to tell my friends and family that they should also take advantage of this sale, as they won't be able to get such a great discount on these items.

This just made me LAUGH!!!!

Seriously? I know that I created a registry on Macys.com. And I AM planning my wedding.... for June 2013. But I haven't even released registry information to my guest list just yet. I know that none of them are obligated to get me a gift so NO WAY am I going to call them and encourage them to buy me my wedding gift this far in advance. Total etiquette faux pas! No wonder our society is so f-ed up when it comes to these things. I know this woman was just a sales person trying to boost her numbers, but really? I wonder if she came up with that idea or if it really was standard procedure. 

AND! I know for a fact that there are plenty more opportunities in the future to purchase from their store with a discount.... Because I get a freakin' email from them EVERYDAY advertising the same deals over and over again. If I'd had the energy of thought at the time of the phone call, I would have said all this to her.... But alas, I was so put off I just wanted to get off the phone. 

So Lame!!!

Anniversary

Re: Anything to make a sale!

• Options
    I hear ya. Besides adding items on my registry FOR ME, the Macy's lady who signed me up also tried to tell me it was ok to place their Macy's registry cards in my wedding invitations!!!! I had to give her a crash course on etiquette at that time. I couldn't stand it anymore. I was so sick of telling her I don't need 300 dollar toasting flutes and did not want them on my registry. Macy's lady: Let's just add them and see if you get them! You absolutely MUST have Waterford toasting flutes! You will pass them down to your children! Me: If my future children break my 300 dollar toasting flutes, besides them being broken, I wouldn't have any kids left alive to pass them down to. No thank you. When I got home, I deleted 200! Items she added. Ugh.
  • Options
    We registered at Macy's and they left us alone to do our own thing, didn't push us into adding dumb stuff, and I never got contacted to push for sales or anything.  Sorry you had to deal with them.  Our experience was entirely pleasant.
  • Options
    She might be right about your friends and family not getting a discount on those items.  The Friends & Family 25% off works on most excluded items normally on the coupons.  But there is no way I would ever inform my family to buy from the registry!

• Options
    The man at Bed Bath and Beyond who helped us register at first was completely pushy.  He was telling us to register for stuff for a house that we don't plan to have for at least 5 to 10 years (yay apartments!).  I looked at my FI and said "Wow.  Maybe we should register for the baby food maker while we're here just so we can save it for the future."(sarcasm).  

They're just trying to make the store more money since that's their goal, but some people go about it the wrong way.  

And I have no idea why you would want $300 toasting flutes.  That's just me though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I actually had a great experience at Macys. They gave us the gun, some water, and some chocolate and told us to have at. Bed Bath is where we had issues. The woman followed us around for 15 minutes before I flat out had to ask her to leave us alone. Then she was REALLY pushy about us registering for a bunch of things we didn't need, like a set of stainless steel cookware that I already have.

Both did give us inserts to put into our invitations though. I just sort of took them, smiled, and threw them in the trash on the way out :)
  • Options
    I had a great experience at Target; they pretty much left me alone and no inserts! Returns were also easy, and I had heard sometimes people have trouble with that there. We waited kind of late to register, so that's the only place we did it. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We never had anyone try to push those stupid inserts on us but the BB&B lady did try to get me to buy really expensive and formal china when I was at the completion event on Saturday. I made the mistake of commenting on a pretty pattern that was in the office just to make small talk and she launched into a speech about how I can pass them down to my kids, blah blah blah. I know how it works, I've already inherited my mothers set.

She then told me that the pattern was probably pretty outdated and how I should donate them and get new ones. Pretty sure my mother would roll over in her grave if I did that.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anything-to-make-a-sale?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fe8a0bb2-f2ab-4fee-a02a-513c62b04cb2Post:ddc2789d-4d23-4d7c-be34-c4cae1c9ee59">Re: Anything to make a sale!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We never had anyone try to push those stupid inserts on us but the BB&B lady did try to get me to buy really expensive and formal china when I was at the completion event on Saturday. I made the mistake of commenting on a pretty pattern that was in the office just to make small talk and she launched into a speech about how I can pass them down to my kids, blah blah blah. I know how it works, I've already inherited my mothers set. <strong>She then told me that the pattern was probably pretty outdated and how I should donate them and get new ones. Pretty sure my mother would roll over in her grave if I did that.</strong>
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

ew. I hope she felt like an @ss. I understand having to make sales numbers, but that's no excuse to insult family heirlooms.
  • Options

I did all of our registries solely online. I thought I would get no sales pressure...until I got the dreaded "completion event" calls.

The Macy's one was especially funny, as my "personal registry consultant" stumbled over her words on the voicemails like she didn't know the details of her own sale. Professionalism at its finest.

• Options
    In Response to Re:Anything to make a sale!:[QUOTE]We never had anyone try to push those stupid inserts on us but the BBamp;B lady did try to get me to buy really expensive and formal china when I was at the completion event on Saturday. I made the mistake of commenting on a pretty pattern that was in the office just to make small talk and she launched into a speech about how I can pass them down to my kids, blah blah blah. I know how it works, I've already inherited my mothers set. She then told me that the pattern was probably pretty outdated and how I should donate them and get new ones. Pretty sure my mother would roll over in her grave if I did that. Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

I wish this conversation was the other way around so that when she said you could pass them to your children, you could say something like, "so that you could tell them they're outdated and need to be donated?" I would love to see her reaction.
  • Options
    I have never received any calls from either BBB or Macy's (only a ridiculous amout of emails from both, which can easily be deleted) and I would be highly annoyed if I had the same experience as you.  I actually started all of my registries online so by the time I made it to the store to add a few things and complete it, no one bothered us.  Regarding the sale you mentioned that ends tonight I think, I will say that the discount applies to items such as crystal and china which are rarely on sale and are almost always excluded from their regular sales and promotions.  So it actually is a pretty good deal.  FWIW. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If that was me I would've said to her, "so you're asking me to call everyone on my guest list and tell them to go buy me a gift by the end of this week?" Like what would she have said to that??

I don't think I've ever even bought a shower gift any earlier than like the day before the shower.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards