Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Who DOES this?

The other day, MIL forwarded H an email from one of her friends. It said something to the effect of "Praise the Lord! God is good to us!" (and so on, and so forth). It announced that her daughter had found a job.

Um, OK?
Baby Birthday Ticker
Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w

Re: Who DOES this?

• Options
    I know that some of my  MILs friends and family do that with one another, but she doesn't send them our way.
  • Options
    I mean, I don't have a problem with the email between MIL and her friend, but why forward it to Mr. Pop?
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Oh man. I know a girl who does that on her FB all the time about God making every little thing happen for her (I posted about her the other night). But emailing people about something like that with those overtones is a little... much.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    I have a relative who does this ALL the freaking time, and it bugs the hell out of me.  So . . . God is giving you a job and giving the Haitians misery & death?  Giving babies born with horrific genetic defects a hellish existence?  Because you're just so much more special than they are?  God is good because you got a job?!

Particularly obnoxious are people who claim that their "angels" were watching over them and helped them out or saved them from some particular fate.  There was a tragedy in my family involving the death of my niece several years ago and I just want to ask these folks where my niece's guardian angel was - taking a smoke break?  Or was she just not as special as they are? 

Rant over.  Whew.  Sorry - I got wound up there. 
  • Options
    Well, that's awfully judgey, oh why not.

I'm guessing MIL and her friend probably share similar views on Jesus and God, and there isn't a problem with people holding those beliefs.

Faith in God isn't a bad thing. I don't think posting it all over facebook is OK, but in a personal email between her and her friend, what's the big deal?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I love Jesus, and I love my faith.

I do not, however, feel the need to post that sort of thing constantly on FB or send 100 emails a day about it.

It turns people off more than it does to inspire them, so IMO that's defeating the purpose.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:8ce420c4-0d6b-41d8-bdf4-7aba2b554003">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a relative who does this ALL the freaking time, and it bugs the hell out of me.  So . . . God is giving you a job and giving the Haitians misery & death?  Giving babies born with horrific genetic defects a hellish existence?  Because you're just so much more special than they are?  God is good because you got a job?! Particularly obnoxious are people who claim that their "angels" were watching over them and helped them out or saved them from some particular fate.  There was a tragedy in my family involving the death of my niece several years ago and I just want to ask these folks where my niece's guardian angel was - taking a smoke break?  Or was she just not as special as they are?  Rant over.  Whew.  Sorry - I got wound up there. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's not really the way it works. </div><div>
    </div><div>I find these emails/FB statuses to be beyond silly, but I don't look down on someone for believing that God is watching out for them. Sending and email to a friend that shares said beliefs is not bad. It was the friend then forwarding it on that makes it weird. 

</div>
  • Options
    ohwhynot is quite the judgey judge today. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options

My FIL forwards me random things all the time that are somewhat like this. 

He sent me a slideshow of fighter planes set to some 'beautiful celine dion' music with a line about, 'Peace and God Bless' to us which he wrote as he forward it. I actually thought the irony was sort of amusing, though. 

• Options
    I think it is completely arrogant to think that god is granting you favors while you see death, pain, and destruction visited on others all over the world.  There, I said it.  I believe it.  I am judge-y about it. 
  • Options
    What frustrates me is how some people of certain faiths give credit to God for the good things that happen ("I passed the test!  God is wonderful!" not kidding, was on my FB) and not themselves.  I'm pretty sure you passed the test because you studied for it, not some miracle of God.

And then they blame themselves for all the bad things that happen, that they must be getting punished.

I just want to tell them to give themselves more credit, ya know?
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:3f2fdc57-eec0-44dd-83b0-a238d857fb1d">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it is completely arrogant to think that god is granting you favors while you see death, pain, and destruction visited on others all over the world.  There, I said it.  I believe it.  I am judge-y about it. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it's completely closed minded to think that your beliefs are somehow above those of others. You don't have to agree with them, but to judge them for having faith is stupid. </div>
  • Options
    So, if people are Christian they shouldn't thank god for the blessings in their lives?

REALLY?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Buddha. You are the air that I breathe.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Fair enough. I was thinking more of my FB friend who thanks the Lord that her cold went away or that there was not a lot of traffic at the mall, or for Mario not dying as much in Super Mario Wii once her daughter prayed for him to stop dying. That's excessive and I totally judge. Obviously getting a job is another story, and I'm curious about the "and so on, and so forth" that ringpop was referring to. In my head I read that as fanatical, but I am probably overly critical to these kinds of things.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    But it was in a private email between her and her friend.

I'm curious why she forwarded it to Mr. Pop, though.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:d01fa909-8cbd-40f8-94f5-0c97b1dde5e2">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What frustrates me is how some people of certain faiths give credit to God for the good things that happen ("I passed the test!  God is wonderful!" not kidding, was on my FB) and not themselves.  I'm pretty sure you passed the test because you studied for it, not some miracle of God. And then they blame themselves for all the bad things that happen, that they must be getting punished. I just want to tell them to give themselves more credit, ya know?
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. Being empowered due to your own hard work is a good thing.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:11a0adfd-7973-449a-b266-90ec663a8358">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Buddha. You are the air that I breathe.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Right back at ya 

</div>
  • Options
    Yeah, I definitely think it's super weird that it was forwarded to Ring's H.  But I agree, it's not like it was plastered all over FB. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:3f2fdc57-eec0-44dd-83b0-a238d857fb1d">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it is completely arrogant to think that god is granting you favors while you see death, pain, and destruction visited on others all over the world.  There, I said it.  I believe it.  I am judge-y about it. 

The religion I was raised in teaches that god is a loving god, and he is not the one who visits pain, death, and destructon on the world (full disclosure: I'm Agnostic now).  Satan is the one who does this.  I see nothing wrong with this.  I do, however, see an issue with you judging someone based on their beliefs.  Just because you have no faith doesn't mean those who do have faith are arrogant.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:3f2fdc57-eec0-44dd-83b0-a238d857fb1d">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:

I don't think that it's arrogant. In the Christian faith, we're taught to believe that God is with all of us simulatenously. While we can't explain the good forutnes vs the bad fortunes of people all over the earth, people pray for good things to happen, and when the good thing happens, they thank God. Is that such a bad thing?
  • Options
    Well OK, to be fair, the job happens to be at the church that Mr. Pop and I attend. So I can understand why MIL thought it might be an item of interest to us.

The "Praise the Lord" stuff creeped me out, but it wasn't originally intended for me or Mr. Pop... so fishy and buddha are right, I shouldn't judge. MIL and her friend are like that and talk like that all the time. This woman is overbearing in other ways, but I shouldn't judge her for this one incident.

I actually thought it was strange that she announced to her friends with so much fanfare that her daughter had gotten a job. I don't think my parents ever did that, though I'm sure it was probably mentioned in conversation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:53513ab1-8ba9-4740-b3bc-7d3f73e5efbd">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who DOES this? : I think it's completely closed minded to think that your beliefs are somehow above those of others. You don't have to agree with them, but to judge them for having faith is stupid. 
    Posted by buddhagouda[/QUOTE]

I feel the need to applaud you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:353b6041-3216-466e-93a5-4cdc698075ad">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually thought it was strange that she announced to her friends with so much fanfare that her daughter had gotten a job. I don't think my parents ever did that, though I'm sure it was probably mentioned in conversation.
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

Yes, this.  I mean, my parents were thrilled when I finally got my job, but I doubt they announced it their friends like that.  That is definitely weird.

• Options
    But truthfully, we don't know the conversations and private emails that our parents had with their friends. They very well could have. We're just speculating.

I doubt that MIL's friend's daughter would think her mom was doing that either, but she is.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:58827da0-d6ab-4e36-ab2f-db48f5220b02">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who DOES this? : Yes, this.  I mean, my parents were thrilled when I finally got my job, but I doubt they announced it their friends like that.  That is definitely weird.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

DH just got a new job, and I'm sure that there's an email circulating that says something along the lines of, "PTL! He got a new job!"

I think it's just how they communicate with one another. I don't think it's weird if it's the way that they communicate. I do think it's weird if you're not in that circle and you suddenly get the email.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:e69fb545-5b91-45d9-9ba4-ba1d268249c5">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]But truthfully, we don't know the conversations and private emails that our parents had with their friends. They very well could have. We're just speculating. I doubt that MIL's friend's daughter would think her mom was doing that either, but she is.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]
    True say...

(sheepish)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    If I got a new job an email might say:

Smokey got a new job because of her skills, relentless attention to detail and the company's need for someone just like her. 

Jesus didn't sit through the interview with me.

~~Sorry, that was a bit cheeky of me.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:8328f5d2-cf3c-4196-a081-4fb8bd53f5ba">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I got a new job an email might say: Smokey got a new job because of her skills, relentless attention to detail and the company's need for someone just like her.  Jesus didn't sit through the interview with me. ~~Sorry, that was a bit cheeky of me.
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Right, but most Christians believe that God is still a part of your life. I certainly value my skills and everything I have worked hard for, but if I was praying for a certain job and got it, I would still thank God. No, I don't think that I had nothing to do with it, but I still believe that he is with me in all things I do. 

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards