Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Who DOES this?

2»

Re: Who DOES this?

• Options
    As a non-Christian, I see that and get it but wonder if he wasn't with the other guy who prayed just as hard as you.  Maybe even harder.  I think that is where the dichotomy exists.  He blessed you and you thank him for it.  Did he NOT bless the other guy and does he then have the right to curse God for it?
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    But, grasshoppa, perhaps he was blessed by NOT getting the job because there was someplace else he was supposed to be that was better for him.

I think we need to channel Garth Brooks here...
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I get judge-y when people tell me that the good things in my life are thanks to a religious deity that I don't believe in (Agnostic).  But they can thank whomever they want for their own. 

I REALLY do not like it when they tell people that God didn't prevent whatever horror has beset them because they aren't a good enough Christian or whatnot.  As best I remember from church as a child, it's not man's place to determine what or why God did something.  So, really - telling people they suck doesn't seem so Christian either. 

I don't think I articulated that well at all.  Sorry.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:26f42ba0-eb21-4c65-8924-130052c3afc3">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get judge-y when people tell me that the good things in my life are thanks to a religious deity that I don't believe in (Agnostic).  But they can thank whomever they want for their own.  I REALLY do not like it when they tell people that God didn't prevent whatever horror has beset them because they aren't a good enough Christian or whatnot.  As best I remember from church as a child, it's not man's place to determine what or why God did something.  So, really - telling people they suck doesn't seem so Christian either.  I don't think I articulated that well at all.  Sorry.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>No, telling people they suck wouldn't be Christian, and that is not a Biblically sound principle. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. I don't understand it. I don't like it. I definitely know it does not mean that God is punishing them for something. There may just be a reason that I can't see. 

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:d6705c31-da80-4c77-a072-7a332dad8155">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who DOES this? : No, telling people they suck wouldn't be Christian, and that is not a Biblically sound principle. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. I don't understand it. I don't like it. I definitely know it does not mean that God is punishing them for something. There may just be a reason that I can't see. 
    Posted by buddhagouda[/QUOTE]
    Im not incredibly religious nor do I see myself as part of any religion but in a situation like you have said (when bad things happen), I see that as Gods way of giving us perspective to appreciate when good things happen. It becomes a learning experience if you let it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:4a25f9eb-3555-4737-8feb-1433934745c5">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who DOES this? : Im not incredibly religious nor do I see myself as part of any religion but in a situation like you have said (when bad things happen), I see that as Gods way of giving us perspective to appreciate when good things happen. It becomes a learning experience if you let it.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

That's all well and good for an individual, I just wouldn't want you to tell me that my good OR bad fortune was the work of God.  You can use it to get perspective for yourself, or think/say for your own good/bad fortune that God is responsible, in part or in whole, but I would prefer that you not apply God to MY life.  Now, people do it all.the.time, especially in the south, and I just smile and excuse myself from the conversation whenever possible, but I don't appreciate it at all.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I once had a friend on FB post a status thanking God that her new mattress had been delivered on time, and I thought that was pretty funny. Somehow I think that if there is anybody up there, he doesn't spend a whole lot of time on mattress delivery.

Really, though, I'm with you believers on this one. I don't believe in anything in particular, other than myself and my own ability to navigate through life in an upright and moral manner, but I'm not going to knock anyone who does.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:9be01e6e-54a5-49c7-9bd1-1572309d43f3">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]But, grasshoppa, perhaps he was blessed by NOT getting the job because there was someplace else he was supposed to be that was better for him.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with this.

When people are 'thanking' God for little things like a punctual mattress delivery, I don't know tha tthey're actually thanking God in a a get-on-your-knees-and-pray kind of way. I think it's just like when people say "oh my god"---people don't use it in the same connotation.

I do think that we should have pride in ourselves an in our abilities, but in Christian teachings it's all about the gits that we've been given, thus your knowledge and capabilites is ultimately God-given.

As a Christian, I don't judge those that don't believe in the same things I do, just as I hope that those who don't believe in what I believe don't judge me for what I believe.

I think a lot of this stems from people that have given Christians a bad name over the years.
  • Options
    I stepped out for a few hours.  I obviously have a big issue with issues of blessings and suffering; it is personal and it is something that, for a time, kind of consumed my life.  I absolutely accept that people who are WAY more intelligent, thoughtful, and experienced in life disagree with my views.  My own parents spring to mind, as do many other people I respect.  I apologize for saying that people who believe that god has answered their prayers or blessed them are "arrogant"- many people believe, quite humbly, these things.  I overreacted to what I see more commonly - a kind of "crowing" about how blessed one is, and a kind of patting oneself on the back for praying so fervently that god took notice.  That, to me, is arrogance.  I've probably dug myself in again, but so be it. 

For the record, my mind *is* closed on certain topics - for example, I can't think of a thing that could ever convince me that gay marriage is wrong.  My mind is similarly closed on whether George W. Bush was a good president - I honestly can't think I could EVER be convinced that he was.  I've considered the issues, weighed the evidence, and drawn my own conclusions.  They're pretty darn firm.  If that's considered having a closed mind, then so be it.  For the question of whether God chooses to bless some people with good fortune while others are left wanting, I guess I have to say that my mind is closed on this question, too - I can't imagine what would change my mind to accept what believers can accept. 

Not just the tragedy in my own family's life, but working in a hospital and seeing that virtually EVERY family prays as hard as they possibly can - those whose prayers are answered with good news a nd those whose prayers are apparently forsaken - I can't reconcile that.  I can't reconcile my good fortune at being born in the 20th century in the U.S. with babies being born into abject poverty in other parts of the world and dying of diarrhea before they reach their third month of life.  I just can't.  There is nothing special about me, nothing special about my friends and family - we're just average folks, doing our best.  Why are we so lucky?  We don't deserve it any more than the babies born to slavery or to starvation or the like.  I can't find it in my heart or mind to believe that a god could be both omnipotent and all-loving and allow these things to happen. 

Anyway . . . peace. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:8962a30f-340d-41c8-964c-728f5490ca72">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I stepped out for a few hours.  I obviously have a big issue with issues of blessings and suffering; it is personal and it is something that, for a time, kind of consumed my life.  I absolutely accept that people who are WAY more intelligent, thoughtful, and experienced in life disagree with my views.  My own parents spring to mind, as do many other people I respect.  I apologize for saying that people who believe that god has answered their prayers or blessed them are "arrogant"- many people believe, quite humbly, these things.  I overreacted to what I see more commonly - a kind of "crowing" about how blessed one is, and a kind of patting oneself on the back for praying so fervently that god took notice.  That, to me, is arrogance.  I've probably dug myself in again, but so be it.  For the record, my mind *is* closed on certain topics - for example, I can't think of a thing that could ever convince me that gay marriage is wrong.  My mind is similarly closed on whether George W. Bush was a good president - I honestly can't think I could EVER be convinced that he was.  I've considered the issues, weighed the evidence, and drawn my own conclusions.  They're pretty darn firm.  If that's considered having a closed mind, then so be it.  For the question of whether God chooses to bless some people with good fortune while others are left wanting, I guess I have to say that my mind is closed on this question, too - I can't imagine what would change my mind to accept what believers can accept.  Not just the tragedy in my own family's life, but working in a hospital and seeing that virtually EVERY family prays as hard as they possibly can - those whose prayers are answered with good news a nd those whose prayers are apparently forsaken - I can't reconcile that.  I can't reconcile my good fortune at being born in the 20th century in the U.S. with babies being born into abject poverty in other parts of the world and dying of diarrhea before they reach their third month of life.  I just can't.  There is nothing special about me, nothing special about my friends and family - we're just average folks, doing our best.  Why are we so lucky?  We don't deserve it any more than the babies born to slavery or to starvation or the like.  I can't find it in my heart or mind to believe that a god could be both omnipotent and all-loving and allow these things to happen.  Anyway . . . peace. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to argue or anything, FWIW.

As far as seeing families pray for their loved ones and then they die, I will say that in the Bible, it says that when a person has lived their full life, they will die. It's just that <em>our view</em> of a full life differs from God's view.

Why are we so lucky? I have no idea. Should we feel guilty? No. We didn't select it. But can we help those who are more unfortunate? You bet.

But you know, you see people in the depths of third world countries---rejoicing for the lives they've been given, and it's usually to God. Despite their struggles, they still find joy.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fedc241e-850a-48c3-b449-53f7ef920df8Post:06655c64-7cb8-4bef-9bfd-c4d7083ec304">Re: Who DOES this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who DOES this? : I'm not trying to argue or anything, FWIW.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

I know.  I was the one being argumentative - I was a jerk about it earlier.  I posted a couple of rants without justification and threw around words carelessly. 

I see your points - I do.  I have considered them, as I am sure you've considered the things I've brought up.  We have just come to different conclusions, and we're both pretty sure we're right ;-).  I was the one being arrogant earlier; I do apologize and I'll try not to let emotion get the best of me in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards