Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

and it starts...

We finally got the first draft of the blueprints from our house back yesterday. 

Due to the grade of the land we're building on they had to add extra steps to the veranda, stone to the front and an extra concrete pad to the walkway.

$2500. 

Awesome.  Looks like we won't be upgrading appliances afterall.  No gas range and double door fridge for us just yet. 

I told them I was not signing off on it until we met at least met in the middle though. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
"This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
Miss
Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
being healthy. blog.

Re: and it starts...

• Options
    Upgrading appliances just gives you something to look forward to though!  At least that's what I tell myself.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Very true Danieliza! 

I am most excited and looking forward to my hair "salon".  We've already added to the blueprints where we'd be putting an additional rough in for plumbing for a hair sink in the basement.  And then when we sell it can be turned into a wet bar for the potential buyers.

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Well, that sucks! I hope that's the extent of your unforseen additional costs. You can upgrade appliances in a few years and it'll be a new project to look forward to, like Dani said.
  • Options
    Check to see how much the upgraded appliance will add to your mortgage payment.

I installed hardwood floors before I moved out and had to pay $8000.  I figured it out and if I had had the builder do it when I bought the place, even though he was more than $8K,  it would have added $5.50 a month to the payment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's definitely one of the downsides to building, as opposed to move-in ready. I hope that's the biggest surprise you encounter!!

Like dani said, you can always upgrade later.
  • Options
    How exciting :) (about the blueprints).  Sorry about the appliances though.  We finally got a new refrigerator and it is fabulous!
  • Options
    That's exciting about your salon!

Well you can always run into problems even with a move-in ready house.  Ours was move in ready with beautiful counter tops and an island, only to find out after we moved in that the counter tops are done in this terrible finish that bubbles and peels off if you put anything wet or hot on it.  Yeah, in the kitchen where everything is pretty much wet and everything you cook is hot.  We'll have to replace all of our counter tops and our island counter top as soon as it moves to the top of our priority list.  Point being, it's always something when it comes to owning a home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah there will always be something.  I knew there was going to be a hiccup, I was just waiting... 

The appliances are already going onto our mortgage,  aMrs.  They're included in the house price.  We can upgrade through the builder though.  We've decided to stop upgrading things at this point because this is our first home, not our forever home and it just seems silly at this point.  We're hoping to be able to pay for this hiccup out of pocket... we'll see. 

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_starts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ff5e165e-34aa-47b0-8bba-797547015487Post:cc3acb35-92d9-4333-8c12-6e686f5415a5">Re: and it starts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Point being, it's always something when it comes to owning a home.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

VERY true.  Can you try to negotiate an addendum in your contract that limits your additional expenses?  I'm thinking that if a builder gives you a price for a particular design on a particular lot, they've already looked at the grade.  Barring any <em>unseen </em>issues (like a giant rock in the way of the foundation), they really should stick to the price you were given. 
  • Options
    Dani, what are your countertops made of? That sounds crazy!!
  • Options

T - I will talk to them about that and read over my papers again.  We signed off on a clause that we would pay for things like this but he said it was more an issue when you get into hilly areas and people need retaining walls, which would not be an issue in our neighbourhood.  He said it would probably be a non-issue. 

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Ah move-in ready houses...the house I want is move-in ready...except the seller walked away with everything including the kitchen sink (no joke, see "whit - house update" post below.

The hair salon sounds like such a neat idea :) Especially when you have figured out how to make it a sellable feature in the distant future.
  • Options
    Yeah, see what can be done Mandy.  I know that random things come up during construction - but if they already knew the lot when they gave you a price, the builder really should have seen the grade.  Plus, a builder has a much better chance to work in any "unforseen issues" into the price so as to protect themselves than a buyer does of knowing which "unforseen issues" are real and which are B.S.
  • Options
    Whoa! Very cool that you got to see the blueprints.  I'd frame and hang one of those in a heartbeat.  I freakin love blueprints.

I call BS on the additional costs.  I hope you get them to back down Mands.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Imma try Ives!  A co-worker brought up a good point, it's the engineering firm's fault.  They should have known that about the grade.  I almost wish they would have hid the cost in the price of the land or something.

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards