New Jersey
Options

Is this tacky? Opinions

So for our beach wedding we baught a bunch of flip flops for guest to change into for the ceremony on the beach. Problem is - how to display them and have people take them if they like?
So we considered buying buckets - like these - for the flip flops. Is it tacky? Anyone have a better idea?

www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/150/2229804.jpg" alt="Multi-Purpose Bucket, 70 qt Blue" width="150" height="150" />

Re: Is this tacky? Opinions

• Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think its tacky. Many of the women will probably use them and the men will just empty the sand out of their shoes.
  • Options
    cknud112cknud112 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of that bucket, it's very childish IMO.  Page uppereast, she had nice buckets for flip flops.  I think they were white (but could be wrong).
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Here are some pics of flip-flop baskets from weddings: http://tinyurl.com/yldy9eo

Are you asking if the idea in general is tacky, or if the bucket is tacky? I don't think either are tacky.
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's tacky.  They will be buckets on the beach, it's fitting.  Plus, no one will be saying oh look at those buckets, they will be looking at you coming down the aisle.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's informal, but it is fine because you'll be on the beach.  

This is what we did (not on the beach though):

(You can see a bigger version of the picture at http://tinyurl.com/flipflopbaskets1.  I can't stretch it without it looking weird).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sweet. Thanks for some input and MBC thanks for that link.  I've seen people do this before but typically its for like a smaller destination wedding where they just have like 20 flip flops and it fits perfectly into a cute basket. Here we are with 50 for women and 50 for men - and I'm like...ummmm, this isn't going to fit in a cute little basket now is it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ohhh upper east! Where did you get the white baskets?!?!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a cute idea since it goes with the beach, or maybe you can use one of those metal buckets (i think they use them for drinks) and decorate the outside maybe paint/use decals of seashells or something beach related
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think this perticular bucket is a bit childish but I think something like this would be awesome:

Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love baskets like that- but the problem again, is the quantity ....   With so many flip flops, won't all fit into cute bucket :(   Haha

But I do get the idea, but larger - I've been trying to find something like that..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The idea is not tacky. Is the bucket, I dont like. It seems rather small from the link you posted.

They have those cloth baskets like uppereast showed in BBB, I've seem ivory and brown ones but this was about a year ago...
    I just went online and found some (not exactly the same but to give you an idea)
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16507903

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16654485

Maybe you can also find baskets at Michaels?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Marshalls or TJ Max for baskets, they usually have a large selection.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to say they were from Michael's or Target.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thnx guys. Last time I was at Michaels I picked up baskets for the bathrooms and programs but couldn't really find "big" ones.
    BBB might be the best bet - plus we all know about to 400 20% off coupons haha.
    Thanks for suggestions - I needed it!!!
  • Options
    lucyslovelucyslove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea!  I went to a wedding on the beach last summer and they did the same thing and I was super happy b/c I was way more comfortable in the flip-flops.  My DH loved them too :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with n&b and kathy- I love the look of those big galvanized buckets you use for drinks. I think that would be classier than if you used the buckets you showed.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The galvanized buckets were originally FIs idea - but we couldn't find like the silver ones you use for drinks in large sizes...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_this-tacky-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:06d91616-d549-4793-ad84-522c30825f2cPost:2d939465-7a96-434e-82a0-e5f8338e18b1">Re: Is this tacky? Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]The galvanized buckets were originally FIs idea - but we couldn't find like the silver ones you use for drinks in large sizes...
    Posted by ecg129[/QUOTE]

hmm I'll keep a lookout for you!
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    they usually have the tubs in target and those type of stores closer too the summer, but I think it might be cutting it close
    i know i've seen them in home depot or lowes before but again I don't know if it is during the summertime, maybe christmas tree shop
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_this-tacky-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:06d91616-d549-4793-ad84-522c30825f2cPost:2d939465-7a96-434e-82a0-e5f8338e18b1">Re: Is this tacky? Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]The galvanized buckets were originally FIs idea - but we couldn't find like the silver ones you use for drinks in large sizes...
    Posted by ecg129[/QUOTE]

Ooh ooh I have 2 big silver galvanized buckets! I bought them (I don't even remember what for) and never used them. I'll sell them to you if you're interested. I can ask my sister to take a photo (they're at my parents' house) and e-mail you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My cousin got married in St. Thomas, and what she did was have those Oriental Trading type canvas hibiscus drawstring bags sitting on a table - pink for the females and blue for the guys. Inside were the flip flops (with a cute poem about wearing them and leaving your shoes in whatever spot), a fan, a bottle of water I think. they were really cute!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't like the bucket idea, but the flip flops I love. I think you'll be able to fit more in a basket than the buckets anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I appreciate the help/advice... definitely now leaning more to one of those Bed Bath Beyond Baskets or the silver galvanized buckets.  Melissa - my email is ecg129 at gmail.com - if they are large and sitting around for sure send me an email with the pics! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kate ~ Mommy to Matthew 3/29/07 & Kylie 12/30/08 & Chase 3/31/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Jersey girl.. living in FL now getting married on the beach as well.  We are not supplying flips flops (that I know of yet)... but we are supplying a "de-sanding station".  It's a little wicker laundry basket with about 3 or 4 cute wood-handle paint brushes with ribbons on them and a little sign that says "desanding station".  I saw it in a magazine and it's really cute! So the guests can brush the sand of their tootsies after the ceremony!
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards