New Jersey
Options

Dreams Cancun - Anyone been??

I love what they have on their website and I read great reviews on Trip Advisor, but I'd still like some additional reviews/thoughts about Dreams Cancun.  Has anyone been there for a honeymoon or a vacation?  Is it nice?  What's the area like outside the hotel?  What's the nightlife like in and around the hotel?

I was in Cancun once and thought it was the scuzziest place ever (and no, I'm not a prima donna... it was just really smelly and dirty everywhere outside of the hotel) and I swore to myself that I'd never go back.  But, now that I've been looking up honeymoon ideas, it seems like the majority of people had the complete opposite experience, so I  can't help but wonder if I was just in a bad area.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome!  :-)

Re: Dreams Cancun - Anyone been??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you can stay away from Cancun during Spring Break I think your opinion may be different. I went to Cancun during my senior year of college - and yes it was scuzzy!

FI and I vacationed right outside of Cancun in Playa Del Carmen.  We stayed at an all-inclusive, Adult-only, Secrets resort.  We had an amazing time. Spent about 80% of our time at the resort. They had 5 different restaurant (only 1 was a buffet).  We did one full day excursion and also spent 1 night out on the town in downtown Playa Del Carmen.

So maybe you may want to look at Riveria Maya or Playa Del Carmen as opposed to Cancun.  You'll still be on the Yucatan Penninsula.

• Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Last nite on "Love Lines" on NJ 101.5 the topic was destination weddings/honeymoons.... someone called up and said that the Dreams in RIVERIA MAYA was awesome and was raving about it.  The host also mention that part of Mexico being great.  I wouldn't recommend Cancun for a honeymoon unless you are a real drinker/partyer/clubgoer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the advice!  You both solidified my hunch to steer clear of Cancun... I'll definitely look into Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen. 

Any caribbean island suggestions?

• Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My recommendation if your honeymoon is in the summer is THE REEFS in Bermuda, its so gorgeous and so nice!  Dinner is served at tables in the sand at this awesome restaurant. They have a honeymoon package.  If your budget is smaller the Bahamas is nice or Domincan Republic- The Paradisius was amazing.

• Options
    acablitasacablitas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would rec Riviera Maya also.

We just booked our honeymoon last night and are going to Cabo.  We're staying at all inclusive called El Presidente Intercontinental.  They have good deals on CheapCaribbean.com.
  • Options
    laur1019laur1019 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to Secrets in Playa Del Carmen. It's the same company as Dreams but its adults only which was great. It was a great vacation I loved it, and there were a ton of honeymooners there. The food and drinks were awesome, and there was always something to do. I went to Secrets Capri, but they also opened a Secrets SIlversands and a Secrets Miramar (sp), all of which are in the area and adults only.
  • Options
    LisaNDansLisaNDans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a brand new Dreams resorts in Rivera Cancun that you might want to consider. (This is a different one from Dreams: Cancun) FI and I won a honeymoon at a bridal show to any of the Dreams resorts. We just met with the travel agent to book and she said that the new resort in Rivera Cancun is amazing and basically said it was the best of them all.

You might wanna consider one of the Secrets destinations, though, considering its adults only.
  • Options
    dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    poor man's excellence playa
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards