New Jersey

Flowers - Peonies!

Hi!

I am completely obsessed with Peonies and I definitely want to have them for my bouqet and hopefully my BM's bouqets -- but the problem is I hear that they aren't in bloom for very long and that means they can be expensive!! Does anyone know what actually the season is for peonies?? (i'm just starting to look into flowers and am pretty clueless! haha) My wedding is April 19! Any ideas??? Has anyone used them for an April wedding and were they terribly pricey?? 

Thanks in advance for the info

Smile

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Flowers - Peonies!

• My wedding was in June and apparently they are mostly in bloom the 1st 2 weeks of June, so for me they were the same price as calla lilies, etc but any other time they have to be imported, so the price can be a lot higher if you can even get them.Sorry Im not more help, but wanted to let you know when they r in season :)
  • They are spring flowers & usually bloom late spring early summer. My florist said that they shouldn't be that badly priced for my April 21st wedding. Ask your local florist.
  • thanks!!! 

I know i havent found a florist yet -- that was the next thing on my checklist to do! haha!  So I just wanted to reach out to my fellow knotties to see if they had any insider info! haha!  

Speaking of which.... any florist recommendations?? = )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_flowers-peonies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:0d8c0bd8-89f3-43ae-98ca-37e6ac0b466dPost:765d9c25-0c88-43db-a86a-683f07fd6ffd">Re: Flowers - Peonies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks!!!  I know i havent found a florist yet -- that was the next thing on my checklist to do! haha!  So I just wanted to reach out to my fellow knotties to see if they had any insider info! haha!   Speaking of which.... any florist recommendations?? = )
    Posted by Bella019[/QUOTE]
    With over 1 yr to go, you're still good. I actually haven't even had time to sit down with my florist. Mine is my aunt, who used to do wedding flowers regularly & now is 'retired' from that business. Fortunately, she's willing to 'come out of retirement' just for me. <div>
    </div><div>I know the knottie vendor list has a few florists listed.</div>
  • Hello! I too am obsessed with Peonies.  Believe it or not all of the florists I visited said they can get me peonies in early December.  However, if you are not able to get them, your florist will be able to get you Cabbage Roses any time of the year, which are very similar looking to peonies (and cheaper, I believe).  They are listed as an alternative in my contract just in case the peonies don't come in.  Here is a website that features them in some bridal boquets as a peony alternative: 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love peonies!  They are the best looking I think.

I definitely recommend S&K Floral Expressions in Hasbrouck Heights.  They are wonderful and reasonable.  And I would call them now because vendors around here book up fast!  I know people planning two years from now...
  • hi thanks =))

i havent met with a florist yet but i just wanted to get a feel to see if anyone else in april had tried for peonies!  Thanks for the other recommendations of flowers that look similar to peonies as well

and thanks mercy4 -- ill def check out S&K Floral Expressions! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm doing my bridal bouquet predominantly all peonies- I LOVE them!!! My wedding is early April and it did unfortunately bump the price up on them since it is ahead of season and they have to be flown in. It's a little annoying..but I really, really wanted them!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Try Biagios in Somerset.  Vinnie is AMAZING and the best price (by over 1000) I got.
    How I unwind? The FI and I watch old TV shows Photobucket 187image 124image 48image 15image RSVP Date March 31 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_flowers-peonies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:0d8c0bd8-89f3-43ae-98ca-37e6ac0b466dPost:1c1cc5a7-3e7c-4015-8de7-4c002f4f3f5e">Re: Flowers - Peonies!</a>:
    [QUOTE] thanks  TripleJTobe  -- I know i LOVEEE all the pictures of peony bouqets so maybe if they are crazy expensive I can just do my bouqet with peonies and then my girls with different flowers -- or is that weird? Haha I have met with a florist yet - but <strong>are the flowers for my bouqet and my BMs supposed to be predominantly made up of the same flowers? </strong>
    Posted by Bella019[/QUOTE]

Not if you don't want them to be.  When I was a BM in a friend's wedding, her bouquet was pink peonies (and they smelled fabulous), and our bouquets were pink carnations.  A good florist will be able to make suggestions for you based on your overall color scheme and the time of year. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    They are in bloom in May & June & are definitely known for being a pricer flower. Also heard that the flower itself is not very durable. I would also check out garden roses - they are similar in appearance.

Btw - how was dress shopping at Fontana?
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards