New Jersey
Options

1st meeting with the Deacon

Tonight is our first meeting with the Deacon. I'm not sure what to expect. I"m catholic and my fiance is protestant. Will her push the convert issue? What did you talk about during your first church meeting and how did it go? TIA

Re: 1st meeting with the Deacon

• Options
    edited December 2011
    our priest didn't push anything. I have all my sacraments, FI is only baptized. he didn't care one bit and was really nice.  I was kind of nervous too, but he really put me at ease.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    They're not allowed to make your FI convert. They could get in big trouble if they do.
  • Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my fiance is catholic, i'm lutheran...he wanted a catholic wedding, and i'm not familiar with the pastor at my church (if we even have a permanent one at the moment).....so we're using the catholic church my dad grew up with...they had no problem with me not being catholic, didn't even mention converting at all....but then again, since i was baptised there, the priest is considering me as catholic (even though i didn't have my communion or confirmation there)....and i think i'm even allowed to take commuion (we're doing a full mass)i guess the rules have changed?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your FI would just have to be baptized thou, right? From my understanding you have to be baptized to get married in a church...
  • Options
    lmcit23lmcit23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yea, my fiance was never baptized. Is that a must?
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    My understanding is that only one of you needs to be Catholic, and the other just has to promise not to interfere with your beliefs once you're married. May or may not have to promise to raise any kids Catholic (or not interfere if you want to raise them Catholic). There's also a Catholic Weddings board on the knot, maybe ask there as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm.. Maybe it is by the parish. B/C the DH and I had to have our baptism certs in order to get married. I was baptized at that particular church and DH has to bring his original when we meet with our priest.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    Kvarrone, maybe it's if he was baptized into another sect of Christianity? My understanding was that if he wasn't from a Christian religion that baptizes people, then he doesn't need to do it now ... but if he is, then he has to show he's baptized. Is your husband Catholic or another Christian denomination (if you feel like sharing)? We have to track down FI's baptism certificate but he's also Catholic like me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He is Catholic, as I am too. I was reading a little on the catholic board out of curiosity and it seems as though a lot of the situations differ by parish. I have no idea now! LOLAll I know is, at first we could no find a record so we were going to have to sign an affidavit, but we finally located the baptism record and our church took a copy from both of us.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I think the "only one of you *needs* to be Catholic" thing applies to interfaith couples. Not where both of you are Catholic but only one needs to show proof. We're trying to track down FI's certificate as we speak. How can he not know where he was baptized???
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand now! Thanks! I guess the way our priest made it sound was.."In order to get married in a catholic church, you both need to be baptized"... No i get it... Dee deee deeee LOLI know.. I had the same issue with my DH... Even his mom couldn't get it straight. LOL I was searching all churches around the area he was born/grew up in. haha
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    depends on your church.  my sister is catholic and getting married and her FI is not.  they are going through hoops to be "accepted" and allowed to be married there.  i don't think any church would push converting. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards