New Jersey
Options

Anyone taken spinning classes?

So I finally joined a gym. Tomorrow is going to be my first day! I joined this particular gym bc they have a lot of classes (and I was able to get a weekend only membership).... Anyway, they have spin classes and I eventually want to try one but I'm afraid I'm going to die - Are they ridiculously tough? Anyone have any recommendations for someone building up to try a first class?

Re: Anyone taken spinning classes?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been a few times. Honestly, you can make it as tough as you want it, because you control your bike and the tension you set. The higher the tension, the harder the workout.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes they can be intimidating because a lot of people who do spin regularly are REALLY into it. I recommend starting with a beginner class if they have one. If not, get there early so you can tell the instructor you're new and he/she can also help you set yourself up on the bike.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cool, that makes me feel better about trying it. Maybe I can get a bike in the back or something so no one sees me dying - Good idea to get there early and talk to the instructor - I hadn't even thought of that! -- Thanks Ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Spin class is awesome. Ditto prior post -get there early so someone can help you set up the bike. An instructor told me you can burn anywhere from 100-700 calories in one hour of spin class.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree- get there early and just ask someone to help you.  I tried it with my boyfriend and didn't go crazy with making it too tough the first time.  I think it is a great workout- I plan to pick it up when I get my a**  to join the gym.  In the meantime, I'm sticking to my home treadmill. 
  • Options
    deedee1017deedee1017 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just tried a spin class for the first time yesterday. I have been wanting to try it for a while now, my uncle agreed to go with me so we went. When we walked in I noticed there were some older women there (60's or so) and so i thought how hard could this be?? Well... those women must have started spin class when they were teenagers, they put me to shame! but dont be intimidated, the room is usually dim and no one is watching you. worst case scenario try it for a bit and if you really dont like it you can walk out (like i did lol)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I take a class once a week... such a great workout!  I highly recommend it.  You push it to your own level... but you are only cheating yourself if you don't push it a little harder than normal.  I recommend investing in a padded seat though - depends on the equipment they have at your gym.  I was quite bruised after the first class, but you get used to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards