New Jersey
Options

Who knew?

So I only thought a big wedding dilemma that people had was insulting people but NOT inviting them...who knew that you could insult people by sending them an invite!My mom and sister apparently invited one of my BM's mothers to the shower.  This is a woman I have known since I have been 5 years old and see on a pretty regular basis.  I found out today that she is "against the whole concept of a wedding shower." Basically she kind of finds the whole wedding tradition of a shower and all the gifts to be ridiculous (which, I can understand, it is all kind of crazy).So my BM asked me if I was going to be mad if her mom did not come (which OBVIOUSLY I wouldn't!  I was more insulted that she asked me if I would be mad!)...but I do kind of feel dumb that she got invited, like we insulted her or something.Anyone ever had this problem?  Are people going to be getting my shower invites thinking "how dare they invite me!"

Re: Who knew?

• Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Some people are just nuts. The year I got married I was the president of a not for profit board. I was good friends with about 85% of the people on the board. About 50% of them would have been invited to my wedding no matter what. Because I was president & the budget allowed, I invited everyone. One woman actually called up the board director, a paid employee & complained. The Director had the good sense to inform the person that I most likely oonly invited her to avoid insulting her by inviting everyone else & that I really didn't care if she came or got me a present. I mean shhesh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    this same BM told me, when i first got engaged, that her mother was "so excited" and would be coming to the church at least regardless if I was able to invite her because she loves weddings.Well, apparently she only loves wedding ceremonies because she thinks they are very special times....and thinks the rest it is "hogwash"UGH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    **regardless of if i was able to invite her to the reception I mean
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People are nuts. It's totally normal to feel embarrassed like you did something wrong...but you totally didn't! Just tell yourself she's weird and let it go. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ridiculous. Some people you just can't please. You didn't do anything wrong. Can't make everyone happy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was invited to a bridal shower because of FI once and was not sure who the person was, but I thought it was nice to be incl.  I didn't go because I didn't know the bride, but I wasn't pissed!  My mom is anti engagement party, and thinks bridal showers should be low key events, but she would never be offended. I am annoyed for your sake that you would even be told the reason for her not coming.  They should have given another excuse and just kept their opinions to themselves imo.  Besides she could have just given you a small token gift.  Did your invite say bring items 1,2  3 off the registry or else! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah normal people don't get mad for being invited or included, all she has to do is decline. I thin it's one of those things, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • Options
    dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    your friend is a bit of a nut for telling you how her mother felt, etc., a simple no, she can't make it would have sufficed!
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    she should have just send back a "no" rsvp and left it alone.  whoever told you she thinks or said that is being a drama queen and could have just left it alone. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards