New Jersey
Options

semi-vent: store of dress

A few weeks ago I almost bought a dress from Store of Dress.com thinking it was the actual dress I wanted to purchase but later finding out it was a replica gown made of similar material and beading but not the same. I called the company and told them cancel it. I was paying it out of an account I only use for Internet transactions so I pulled the funds out so if they tried to get the money they couldn't.I got a call from my bank this morning -- where I used to work so I know these people -- and they told me I'll have to close the account because Store of Dress will not stop redepositing the "check" I sent them. 8 times they've tried to get the funds and it's almost two weeks later. This is why I say it's smart to have a separate account for Internet transactions - because you've already authorized the purchase so a verbal or written cancellation doesn't always do the job. Maybe it's just the wary banker in me.Just wanted to share because I know there was a bride here thinking about getting a dress from a site like this!

Re: semi-vent: store of dress

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I never thought to do that, what a good idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh yes. i don't even trust paypal with my actual bank account. you never know. with all the scams i see coming across my desk, it's not worth it when accounts are usually free.
  • Options
    thisgyrlismegthisgyrlismeg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes! That's excellent advice though, I never would have thought to separate internet transactions. Usually I use PayPal but that eliminates the middle man all together, sweet!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow - is that the site I sent you? All my fault, I'm sorry! eek!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Soooooooooooooo not your fault! Things happen for a reason. That wasn't "my dress!"
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am surprised that you're surprised by this...it's a site called "store of dress"!!! I mean, that's barely even English, you know? You placed an order for your wedding gown on a Web site without even knowing if it was selling legit dresses, unfortunately I'm not shocked they're still trying to get the money.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's how we convince people to open checking accounts at my job :pI have an internet-only account too for reasons just like that.

Married October 31 2009
    TTC since July 2010
    Dx PCOS December 2010
    Clomid/hcg/IUI round 4 = BFP
    EDD May 13, 2012
    Corbin Scott born April 19 (36w4d)
    7 lbs 15 oz

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Melissa you're right. But I was all to excites to throw down my card just for dress shopping to be over! Pickles which bank do you work for? I work for SunTrust
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    jaime - Did you call pearls place?  They are def legit and my dress was so inexpensive.  Not replica inexpensive but super close to it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The dress she wanted has been discontinued...which is why she was trying to find it online somewhere :o(
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear that Jaime.  :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I never use my debit card over the internet, only my Amex. It's much easier to get your money back and avoid things like this. 
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's discontinued, you can see if anyone has a sample they're willing to sell?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The sample they had was not my size. They could ship one from washingon but warned me it was in terrible condition. I went with another dress already and the check just cleared so hopefully it's ordered haa . The one I decided on wa Maggie sottero addison. Still sold in stores.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say that the lesson to be learned is that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.  Particularly on the internet  If you can't figure out how a site is able to sell Amsale dresses that would retail for thousands of dollars for only $270 (huge hole?  red paint spilled all over them?), it is probably because they're fake.  You couldn't even buy a real Amsale second-hand for twice that.Also, if you don't trust a site, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use a credit card.  Not a wire transfer, not a debit card, not a check.  That way you have some recourse if something goes wrong.  If you pull the money out of the account, won't you get bounced check fees, etc.?  And bad English or being shipped from another country is usually a bad bad sign.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards