New Jersey
Options

Dates in the limo

Just curious as to if any of you are including dates in the limo when you have that space of time in between the ceremony and the reception. I wouldn't mind at all if they were in the limo with us, so that's not the issue ... I'm just concerned about what they're going to do while we're with the BP taking photos for about 2 hours. FI thinks they'll be fine because they can hang out on the side or stay in the car and drink, plus he doesn't want to split people from their dates for a few hours. I'm concerned that they'll get bored while we're all taking pics (I don't mind if they're in a few), and might feel better if they could check into the hotel and relax a little. The group would get along well if the dates came along, and since we have a smaller bridal party it wouldn't make a difference in the size of the limo we plan to book. But if we choose not to include them, they'd all have a way to get to the reception hall, either by driving themselves, or by hitching a ride with someone - for example, the Best Man's family is invited so his girlfriend could go with them. Plus, if someone like my sister's boyfriend drove himself, then he'd have his car at the hotel to take my sister home the following day. So the only real concern is their comfort.So if you were a date, what would you rather do? Hang out while your significant other was taking pics, or go to the hotel (maybe alone) and chill out a while? I know the easiest thing to do is ask them, but knowing them they're just going to say, "I don't care, whatever you gyus want is fine."

Re: Dates in the limo

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Would they ride in the limo with you to the ceremony to? If not what will they do with the car they drove to the ceremony in? If it were me and I had some other ride to the ceremony & reception I would probably want to go hang out and get my drink on rather than watch my SO get pictures taken.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't (except for our sisters' dates, because they were family) because it would have caused a difficult situation with cars-- their cars would have ended up at a completely different place than them.  We didn't have a gap between ceremony and reception, but I also didn't think the dates would want to have to mill around the church for an hour before the ceremony started because that's when the boys had to be there.I will say though that one time when my husband was in a wedding party I wasn't invited to be in the limo (that's typical), but I also wasn't invted to join them for the 3 hour gap.  I was far enough from home that I didn't have time to go home, but we weren't staying in a hotel.  I wasn't familiar with the area.  All of the other dates went home in between because they lived closer.  It was excruciating because I had NOTHING to do.   Between that and not being invited to the rehearsal dinner (despite the fact that my now-husband and I had been dating for like 6 years and every single aunt, uncle and cousin was invited, and we would be travelling an hour and a half to the wedding so it made it really inconvenient for my husband and I to have different plans the night before), I was more than a tiny bit pissed at the couple for not including me.  Moral of the story is-- I would see if you can come up with ideas for the dates for the 2 hours, or at least invite them to come hang out on the side.  That's better than being bored alone in a car waiting in the reception hall parking lot for several hours waiting for the prior reception to let out.
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't mind and as you said it's a smaller bridal party, there is no harm in offering the option to be in the limo.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Good point, Seabass - they all have someone they could grab a ride with, both to the ceremony and then home from the reception, if need be.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (husband and me-- sorry.)
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We don't have room so it's not really an option anyway. But it if were me as the date, it seems more inconvenient because I would wind up somewhere that my car isn't and have to find a way back to it, or have to arrange ahead of time to drop the car off at the hotel or something. I'd rather hang out at the hotel or something than sit and watch photos. If you have a situation like uppereast described (SO is from far away but not staying at hotel), then I'd extend the offer to them but just tell them it's whatever is easier for them, and you don't care either way.
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    as a guest id rather NOT be in the car.  i'll just entertain myself and meet you at cocktail hour, thank you very much.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldnt invite the dates... I would have all of them get together before the festivities and they can all go together.  I would be bored to tears if I had to watch my FI take pictures to be in someone elses wedding. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    OK cool, thanks. I guess it's just easier to offer them the option after all. I just hope they do what they want, rather than leaving the decision up to us :P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I offered it as any option to anyone who was bringing a date and left the decision up to them, but as you can tell from my past posts I am not one for formalities so I am not sure what is proper or not :-)
  • Options
    acablitasacablitas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depends how big the bridal party is.  If you have space, then offer them a ride.  IMO, I probably wouldn't invite the dates in the limo as my preference is to have BP only.If my SO was in a bridal party, I'd just hang out with friends at the cocktail hour.  I did that 2 months ago at FI's best friend's wedding.  I hung out with mutual friends, relaxed in our hotel room, and went to cocktail hour while they took pictures.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we didnt have any dates in the limo..but most of the BP stayed at the hotel in suites without their dates and if they did stay with them the dates just took the hotel shuttle. 

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~
    imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
    5/9/09: Plans, Pics, F/S 11/10/10: BFP Chart Baby Ds Stuff & Coupons!! WTH has Obama done so far!?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards