New Jersey
Options

Bad Experience at Windows on the Water, Sea Bright, NJ

I just wanted to let all NJ Brides know about the bad experience we had at Windows on the Water in Sea Bright.My husband and I got married on Little Palm Island, Fl (we highly recommend it!) in March (second wedding for both of us), but we wanted to have a small reception for our immediate family and friends so they could celebrate with us.We decided to do it fairly last minute and booked Windows on the Water in June for October 4th.  We sat down with the banquet manager and the chef and gave them a very detailed explanation of what we were looking for - a simple cocktail party on the beach front patio for approximately 50 people on a Sunday afternoon. We gave them a $5000 budget to work with, (of course we expected to be nudged up a bit) and the chef had many suggestions to meet our budget.  We were quoted $100 per head, kids under 12 free. Unfortunately when we received the final contract it was double the price $10,000 - for 50 people!!!!  There were all kinds of extra charges on there that were never mentioned or discussed.We shopped around before settling on Windows on the Water and the general price range everywhere for what we wanted was between $70 and $90 per head - we even had a five star restaurant in Morristown that was $85 on a Sunday. The most expensive place was $130 and they were willing to work with us.Windows is not a five star venue, its not even a four star venue - it is casual and beachy which is exactly what we wanted.  Before recently becoming a nurse I spent 20 years in the service industry.  I know banquet pricing inside and out, and the price did not even come close to matching the venue or the food.  We argued, and they did drop the price but also took off the only two decent things we had - Filiet Mignon carving station (which we were paying extra for anyway) and they changed our fish to chicken.  Needless to say we were not happy and canceled.  They are threatening to sue us now.We rebooked just a short drive down the road at Avenue in Long Branch.  It is absolutely amazing!  They were helpful and accomodating and although the were priced slightly higher than our budget, they worked with us.  It is Ocean front and the view from the rooftop deck is stunning!  The menu is phenomenal - it puts what we were having at Windows to shame. I have heard of places jacking the price up at the last minute but have never experienced it first hand.  Just wanted to warn everyone to be careful if you go to Windows! Get everything in writing! It is a beautiful venue, but it is not even close to being able to justify $200 per head!

Re: Bad Experience at Windows on the Water, Sea Bright, NJ

• Options
    kathymariekathymarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. I have always wanted to go to LPI in FL. Avenue is way nicer, so you got lucky if you think about it.
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sorry this happened to you...but you are lucky in a way. avenue is amazing, so i am sure your reception is going to be perfectand i am jealous that you got married on little palm island. i wanted to do that so badly, but my son is to young and wouldn't be allowed on the island
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards