North Carolina

Raleigh RD recs

This is on my January to do list so I'm trying to narrow it down to a few places pretty soon. We really just want to do a BBQ rehearsal dinner. We both LOVE BBQ and we definitely don't want to try to outdo our reception. I'm having trouble finding somewhere to have it. If it comes down to it we can do it in the reception area at ASC but that's not my first choice at all. TIA!

Re: Raleigh RD recs

• krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    are you wanting to have it outside?  or have it catered to somewhere that's enclosed?
  • edited December 2011
    Are you wanting a more formal sit down BBQ RD or a more relaxed atmosphere?

For a more casual atmosphere, you could always rent out Lake Johnson or Lake Wheeler facilities, and have a bbq meal catered there.  Or at the JC Raulston Arboretum (they have an indoor facility).  You could have The Pit, Bill's out of Wilson or some other bbq place cater.  Since you are getting married in June, you could rent out a large picnic shelter at Falls Lake.  The area would be a beautiful site at sunset, but you might have to leave by 9 pm.  I think they close the gates then. 

I know my sorority has rented out both Lake Johnson, Lake Wheeler, and the Arboretum until 11 pm or midnight.
  • krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could also have your rehearsal dinner at The Pit - we looked into it but the ILs didn't like the bbq idea (sadly!).  But if you're going for cheaper - I would look into renting out a shelter at a local park like cd said and I would say Cooper's would be super tasty for catered BBQ!
  • wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We definitely want a laid back feeling. I haven't thought about any of the shelters at the parks...that would be really fun. Thanks for the recs so far!
  • edited December 2011
    The Pit has a very high food and beverage minimum. We couldn't use them because we are having a relatively small (~25) rehearsal dinner and there was no way we could meet their minimum.
  • wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I just saw that! I was kind of shocked. We're having a pretty small one too. We won't be having it there.
  • edited December 2011
    Why not do it somewhere like Cooper's or Olde Time.  Or you could pick up the Smithfield's picnic pack and do it in your backyard.  I think the 50 person pack is $300 and it comes with BBQ, hushpuppies, chicken, slaw, potato salad, sweet tea, and the place settings.
  • Loved0603Loved0603 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have Cooper's cater, you could rent the Anderson Point house(Raleigh Parks & Rec) or The Dream Center.  It (the Dream Center) is on the grounds of Body of Christ Church (corner of Fox Rd &Spring Forest Rd) but it has a completely different feel; not "churchy" at all.  GOOD LUCK!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards