New Jersey

How much $$ to give for a wedding?

2»

Re: How much $$ to give for a wedding?

• edited December 2011
    Haha Cvl...Sure! Though from what I saw I think in the ball park of 300 per couple is pretty avg around here but again it's all relative and there are tons of factors I am sure :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rosie, where I come from it's the same as you.  So to answer OP, my minimum is $300 and goes up depending on how close. Avg abt $400 unless it's family then more. Post wedding however, I will give whatever was given to us.
  • Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    But to add, give whatever you can afford. If you can give additional cash instead of the gift, I'd probably prefer the gift since I would get gifts at the shower.
  • edited December 2011
    I usuually give 300.  If they're close friends, then 400.  However, like tiff, I will be opening up the card they got us from now on, looking at what they gave, and writing a check for that amount! :)
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • edited December 2011
    To me, if someone gives you cash for their wedding, and then a few years later you give them cash for their wedding (particularly if it is the same amount), that isn't a gift, it isn't a down payment -- it is an interest-free loan.I agree with this. For the past couple of weddings we've gone to we've given physical gifts because we didn't want to just be passing money back and forth. However, in the past before we were even thinking about getting married, we would give cash, and it was around $200 or so. I had heard about the "covering your plate" rule of thumb but honestly until I started planning our wedding I had no idea that most banquet halls charge well over 100/pp, so since then I've always felt somewhat guilty about the $200 gifts I gave.
  • edited December 2011
    We give $200 to out of state and $300 for in state.  $400 if we are in your wedding.  It sounds like an odd scale but it somehow factors in cost of area. Which kind of could be cost of plate but not really.  I started writing out why we do this and it sounds odd so we will just say its different depending on the circumstances.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we give $200.00 unless friends gave us more for our wedding then we will match it, but imo, i think $200.00 is a very nice gift.
  • jtheissjtheiss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've already warned FI not to be disappointed when all of the guests from my side aren't giving us hundreds of dollars for a gift. I'm originally from Wisconsin (as is most of my family) where $50-100 for a couple is considered a pretty generous gift. I was shocked when FI and I went to a destination wedding that cost us about $2000 to attend and FI thought I was being cheap for only wanting to give a gift of $150. He won and we gave them $250. But I think the $222.22 thing is generous and cute. I would go for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards