North Carolina
Options

decorating with fabric

Hey, ladies.  I am trying to figure out how I want to decorate for my reception.  We are having it in a barn.  It is pretty plain, with simple chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.  I think it would look nice to drape fabric along the walls at about table-height.  I don't know what type of fabric would work best for that, though.  I don't want spend a fortune, but I'm sure I'll be spending a decent amount due to the not small size of the room.  Do you think a shiny, silk-like fabric would look the best?  Or something matte, like cotton?  I'm not a big tulle fan, so I think that's out.  Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
Heather

Re: decorating with fabric

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would imagine something like this would require several bolts of fabric, which would become quite expensive.  There are some websites where you can rent cloth but I still think it would end up being pricey.

I really like how barns look when they've been decorated with white Christmas lights.  And with something like that I'm sure friends, family, and neighbors all have light strands you can borrow :)

Here are a few examples of what I mean:
    http://snippetandink.blogspot.com/2009/02/real-wedding-saturday-sharon-francis.html
    http://snippetandink.blogspot.com/2009/03/real-wedding-donia-david.html
    http://snippetandink.blogspot.com/2008/09/real-wedding-kacie-brandon.html

• Options
    chloe642chloe642 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, thanks for the links.  Yeah, I was afraid it was going to be too pricey.  We were already planning on incorporating white lights, I'm just afraid it won't be enough.  That's a great site that you linked me to, though.  Maybe I'll browse around for more ideas.  Thanks!
    Heather
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about organza? It has that sheer look but it's not as sheer as tulle. You can put lights behind it and I think that's really cute. Personally I think I would probably do lights alone. I think they look very elegant and they're something you're more likely to use again. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked into using Gossamer and it is VERY pricey!  I just ended up giving up the idea of covering the walls after looking into the prices of several different fabrics.  I know that's not very helpful, but just a caution against Gossamer!  Christmas lights would look really pretty against barn walls!  That would be much cheaper than fabric!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've seen pics where people have strung the lights so they hang in waves or in a tent-like fashion from the ceiling that look really cool.  Of course I can't find the pics now haha.  It maybe was on theKnot's pictures?

Anyway, you can really do whatever you want with strings of lights :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards