New Jersey
Options

Vent: BM gift follow-up (still need massive amounts of help)

Alright ladies, I really need everyone to put their thinking caps on.  My sister and I just went through all of the ideas you suggested for BM gifts and after thinking long and hard about the tastes of my other two BMs (my sister is my MOH), we came to the conclusion that the only things either girl will actually use and appreciate are money and gift cards to their favorite stores.  Both girls have been pretty spoiled throughout life by their parents, so they more or less have everything they could ever want and neither of them has a problem throwing REALLY nice gifts with tags still on them in the bottom of their closets.  I just think it's so lame to give a Bloomingdale's (or whatever store) gift card as a thank you gift.  I honestly just want to give them a stupid thank you card and be done with it (they're family so they'll understand, right?  haha). 

UGHHHH... does anyone have any other suggestions?  Please???  I'm begging you!
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Vent: BM gift follow-up (still need massive amounts of help)

• Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're freaking me out.  You have over a year to make this decision and I have a little over 2 months and have nothing picked out.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HAHAHAHA!!!  That's because I know I'm never going to think of anything!   And I'm one of those people who starts Christmas shopping for the following year right after Christmas... yup... I'm one of "THOSE" people.
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    But don't you think you'll come across something in the next YEAR???  LOL
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, no.  I wish you knew these two girls... they could be given the freakin moon and just shrug it off. 

I know it comes off as me being uber-anal or overly-crazed, but you know when you get something in your head to do and it just nags at the back of your mind because you're clueless?  That's what this is for me.  It's the part of wedding planning that I can't pinpoint in a sense.  And I know I have TONS and TONS of time, but like I said, I just want to have something in mind whether or not it's what I actually wind up getting them just so I can mentally check it off for now until closer to the wedding.
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got my gifts yesterday -- but I can't post because I caught my sister lurking recently.  Hi Kimmy!!! *waves*
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_vent-bm-gift-follow-up-still-need-massive-amounts-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:18a73c4d-256c-4dba-a41c-bf9f1c9d8eeePost:f16d8054-42ac-42dc-89bf-28e19c714ba4">Re: Vent: BM gift follow-up (still need massive amounts of help)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got my gifts yesterday -- but I can't post because I caught my sister lurking recently.  Hi Kimmy!!! *waves*
    Posted by mscutieri[/QUOTE]
    :-)  I feel like you personally know and/or are related to everyone on this board! 
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_vent-bm-gift-follow-up-still-need-massive-amounts-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:18a73c4d-256c-4dba-a41c-bf9f1c9d8eeePost:9f4343be-e263-4560-9ebb-aad5a8ba501f">Re: Vent: BM gift follow-up (still need massive amounts of help)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly,<strong> no.  I wish you knew these two girls... they could be given the freakin moon and just shrug it off. </strong> I know it comes off as me being uber-anal or overly-crazed, but you know when you get something in your head to do and it just nags at the back of your mind because you're clueless?  That's what this is for me.  It's the part of wedding planning that I can't pinpoint in a sense.  And I know I have TONS and TONS of time, but like I said, I just want to have something in mind whether or not it's what I actually wind up getting them just so I can mentally check it off for now until closer to the wedding.
    Posted by peaches85[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It sounds like you've got an impossible job ahead of you.  If they really won't like anything, I say, just be thoughtful and do your best.  You can't drive yourself crazy trying to find something to wow people who can't be wowed.  If they shrug off a gift you're clearly putting a lot of thought into, that's their problem, not yours.

</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's true.  Let me know when you've picked something out for your girls... maybe it'll get my gears going some more.

I think the most annoying part of it is the fact that FI and I are already spending so much money on the wedding that it's like why bother spending more money on gifts for people who aren't even going to appreciate them?  I know the gifts are pennies compared to what the wedding costs, but money's money - you know?
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Just get them the gift cards, then.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     It's pretty clear that you want the gifts to have a personal touch, or at least mean something to your BMs, so why don't you focus on the things that you like to do with each respective girl? Maybe with one, you make sangria (or tea, or whatever) and have late-night gab-fests, so a cool pitcher and all of the ingredients might be a neat way to express how much you appreciate those times. Or if you take day trips to the beach together, make a beach bag gift with a towel, lotion, a book by a favorite author (or a gift card for one, or for non-readers, an iTunes gc), flip flops... whatever. If you share a love for movies/fashion/celebrities, maybe put together something reminiscent of red carpet schwag and include a piece of bling. (I always appreciate shiny sparklies). Once you start thinking about the little moments that you've shared, it might become easier to think about ways to honor them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    by spoiled do you mean they have tons of crap?  or they like expensive things?  well, either way...are you a member of Gilt Group?  its a great online sample sale where you can get great designer things for super cheap.  you get an email update every day with the new sales.  also...Neiman Marcus has their "mid-day dash" events.  you can get your girls things they'll love for super cheap.

but piggy backing onto eeponine's post....what if you gave them each a photo album w/ photos of your lives together?  then you can leave a few blank pages at the end for pics from the wedding. 

what about a spa day??  seriously...you have PLENTY of time to figure this out.  just pay attention next time you guys are all together out shopping or chilling at home or whatever....
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I say don't worry about it yet..you have over a year to figure it out. When you are out and about shopping check things out and you will come across something.   New things will come out in the next year and maybe there will be something that they will like.    If not, there is nothing wrong with a gift card.    I really, really think you are over thinking this too early.    It will all work out!
  • Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you are overthinking this way too much.  If you have a feeling they are going to shrug off any gift you give them, then don't put so much thought into it.  That way, when they shrug off your gift you won't really care because you didn't really put a lot of thought into it anyway. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely hold off for now.  If you end up not coming up with anything good, you can buy gift cards 2 days before the wedding.  And in the year before then, maybe you'll figure out something better.

Most of my girls are the "I had a bad day at work so I'm off to buy new Louboutins" types -- they definitely do not think twice about buying themselves nice things at the drop of a hat, and in some ways that makes things a bit tricky.  A Coach wristlet would be a waste for them.  Sounds like your girls are like that too.  But on the other hand, I wouldn't bother getting cash equivalents for people like that.  If they're going to spend $100 on two t-shirts at Bloomingdale's, they're just going to do that whether or not you gave them a gift certificate.  So I think for those kinds of shoppers, gift certificates just aren't special or fun really.

But I actually really love shopping for them, because it is fun to come up with decadent indulgences.  Even the very spoiled like fun gifts.  Maybe a fancy face cream, great wine, luxe stationery, something like that would be good.  But you have a whole year to thing about it.  I'd give it some time to come up with something good rather than throwing your hands up and settling now.
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What do they like to do?  My friend recently gave a few of us  a gift receipt to a mixology (cocktails, baby!) class in NYC for us to all do together.  We are really looking forward to going together and making a night of it. 

Or maybe a wine tasting excursion. 

These kind of gifts are not terribly expensive, but fun and includes the "quality time together" element.

• Options
    mchristian05mchristian05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do they like spa treatments?  Maybe you can get a gift certificate to their favortie spa
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    restaurant gift certificate
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  You're right... I"m definitely over-thinking it and I do have plenty of time.  It's just that nagging little bug in my ear, if you know what I mean.

I'm going to take your advice and just wait on it and see if anything strikes me when we're out together.  I doubt it will and I'll probably just get them a gift card in the end, but it's better than stressing out over such a minute part of the wedding.

Thanks for giving me some perspective!
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    why dont you do like a spa day with all the girls before the wedding ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

How old are these girls?  Do they own their own place or host parties a lot?

If so, then maybe a nice serving platter that will last a long time that they can remember you buy when they use it.  I've recommended these products to people to register for and to buy people for engagement gifts, etc, but I think they are nice all around presents.  Wilton Armetale serving platters, etc.  They can go from fridge to freezer to oven to the table.  They can't withstand all temperatures, etc.

http://www1.macys.com/search/index.ognc?SearchTarget=*&Keyword=wilton+armetale

If it's something you think may work, just make sure you buy it when they're on sale.  They go at almost 50% off during a sale!  And if you don't think it'll work for a gift, definitely register for some for yourself. They're really pretty and really practical, imo.

I just bought this piece for us actually. It's perfect for shrimp cocktail.

~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just thought of something else too that I almost got my girls.  A really pretty crystal ring holder.  Perfect for next to the kitchen sink or for their nightstand.  I use a similar one for myself all the time. I actually have one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom we use to shower, and one on my nightstand.  I put all my jewelery I take off at night in the one on my nightstand...earrings, rings, bracelet, necklace, etc.

This particular one is a Vera Wang one. They sell it at Macys.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was going to say what others have already said - an activity you can all do together or a nice dinner.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    another option - what about a pair of nice crystal martini glasses (or a set of glasses for their drink of choice - wine, martini, vodka/tonic, etc)
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

if they will not really appreciate any gifts - will they appreciate something sentimental and personal? I think the idea of putting together a photo book is wonderful - and you have penty of time to gather up photos and put it together.

M-43 DOR (FSH 20 AMH 0.16, AFC 4-6) Endo stage III DH-42 (low everything)
    TTC #1 unofficially since 6/09, officially since 10/10
    6/11 RE testing,rt tube blocked with hydro, 8/11 lap surgery rt tl
    IVF#1 10/11 Estrace,450 Follistim, 15 units low-dose HCG, DHEA - cancelled (only follie growing)
    IVF#2 started stims 11/4/11 - same protocol, increase in concentration of HCG, added CoQ10, no response, cancelled on CD 12
    12/2/11 began accupuncture; Break in Dec. Next cycle anticipated in Jan.
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Something personalized then, with their name on it...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Or a Pandora bracelet with a special charm (i know they have a best friends one and a wedding cake, and other cute ones)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey, I never post but I wanted to share with you. I was unsure what to get my girls and decided to pay for them to have their hair or makeup done...their choice. I also made a littl bag of products that I picked up over the year like a bath bomb, lip gloss, loufas,(is that how you spell it??), bath and body stuff, ect.

My best friend had all her bridemaid's to her home before her wedding and she had cooked the recipes that they and their family members had given her for her shower since we all brought recipe cards, it was awesome. After we chowed, she gave us each a card with a $50 bill that said let's go shopping and we drove to the mall and all bought something for ourselves. It was really fun. I got perfume.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards