New Jersey
Options

Engagement party gifts

My best friend is having an engagement party. I know I want to give money, but am not sure how much. I know everybody is different. But I just wanted to get an idea on what other people have given. If you have money as a gift for an engagement party..how much? what was your relationship to that person?

Re: Engagement party gifts

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We got typically $50-100 per couple on average
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Agree with User.  I think the most given amount was $75.  That was from uncles and aunts.  Most of my friends gave me a gift.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If they are your best friend (as stated), you probably want to give closer to $100 per couple than $50. unless you can't afford to.  You may also want to take into consideration the cost of the party (as many people do).  Is it a backyard party? At a fancy restaurant or hall?  What is the approx. cost pp?

You can also get them some things off of their registry.  I would avoid, however, getting them random stuff like vases, lenox pieces, house warming gifts, and kitchen items, etc that are not on their registry.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you in the wedding? I always take that into consideration because pretty soon you'll be paying for other things as well (shower, bparty).
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I get gifts for engagements. Most of our guests gave us gifts, although we did receive some cash/checks as well (ranging between $50-150 on average).
  • Options
    jamier88jamier88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will probably be the maid of honor. She is mine. I have not been asked yet. The wedding is a year and 1/2 away and they are not registered yet. I was planning on giving at least $100 for my fiancee and I, but was not sure if that was enough.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's acceptable
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    littledaisieslittledaisies member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only been to one engagement party and I gave a gift. I was in the bridal party.

For my engagement party I got money and gift cards. My bridesmaids gave me gift certificates to our favorite restaurant which I thought was very nice.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think $100 is plenty. I have usually purchased gifts in a similar range to what I would give as a bridal shower gift.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I have given about $100 for an engagement gift.  Like everyone else says, it depended on our relationship with the couple, where the engagement party was, etc.
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $100 was the bare minimum we received per couple

I think you should give atleast $200 if you are the MOH (or spend in that range for a gift)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards