New Jersey
Options

garter/bouquet toss

I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and witnessed the raunchiest garter/bouquet ritual I have ever seen...

I guess this is something I should discuss with the DJ prior to the my wedding. I'm not a prude but there will be a good amount of children attending. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Re: garter/bouquet toss

• Options
    I'm not doing either at my wedding - too cheesy. Feel free to leave it out if you want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    205 invited image
    160 are ready to party image
    45 are missing out image
    0 can't find their mailbox image
    RSVP Deadline: October 1, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_garterbouquet-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:21b390e6-3b75-4353-82df-3fd91de5ed4ePost:2a276b24-b24d-4c06-8753-051e8774466c">Re: garter/bouquet toss</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not doing either at my wedding - too cheesy. Feel free to leave it out if you want.
    Posted by klustig[/QUOTE]

This. We skipped it and no one noticed. I wouldn't have wanted to put my single friends on the spot anyway.
  • Options
    We also skipped it.
  • Options
    We did a lottery toss bouquet.  I made it with silk flowers and scratch-off lottery tickets, and we invited everyone - male and female, single and married -  to vie for it while the DJ played "If I Had a Million Dollars".  It was a fun alternative since we didn't want to do the "traditional" bouquet and garter toss.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    We did the traditional garter/bouquet toss. Nothing scandalous happened. I think it depends on the participants and you can't really plan on how it's going to go. You can always skip it if you're worried about it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We're going to toss it, but not make any poor girl subject to having to have it put on. Just tell the DJ what you're comfortable with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_garterbouquet-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:21b390e6-3b75-4353-82df-3fd91de5ed4ePost:a14d28aa-6453-4980-9eb5-b0946ec9aa33">Re: garter/bouquet toss</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did a lottery toss bouquet.  I made it with silk flowers and scratch-off lottery tickets, and we invited everyone - male and female, single and married -  to vie for it while the DJ played "If I Had a Million Dollars".  It was a fun alternative since we didn't want to do the "traditional" bouquet and garter toss.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

<div>I LOVE this idea!!! So cute. Anyone win anything on the scratch-offs?! haha</div>
  • Options
    I have no plans to do either the garter or bouquet toss.

I have seen the "Anniversary Dance" where the dj will call out time spans (married for 1 day or less, 1 year or less, 5 years, 10 years, etc) and then the couple that has been married the longest is presented with a bouquet, or a bottle of wine or just the recognition of being the longest - whatever. 

The lotto bouquet toss also sounds like a fun idea!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    We're doing the Anniversary Dance.  I think the bouquet and garter toss can be fun for a younger crowd, but I'm in my mid 30's - I'm too old for all that.  

It's tough because you don't know who is going to catch it, so you don't have that much control over how it goes down.  That said, if you know your friends and family aren't rauchy kinds of people it will probably be fine.
  • Options
    The lottery toss bouquet is a great idea! I've never heard of that. The anniversary dance is also a cute idea.

We did the standard bouquet/garter toss and our friends kept it far from raunchy. They just used common sense of how to act in public. I think you have to know your crowd and the friends who'd be in the running to catch it. The photos of the bouquet toss were hilarious and I'm happy we included it. 

If you don't like the idea of it most people won't miss it or notice. I went to a wedding last month and didn't even realize it wasn't done till days later when it randomly dawned on me that they skipped it. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We only did the bouquet toss b/c I personally hate the garter toss, but we put a twist on the bouquet toss to make it more appealing.  Since I have very few single friends, I didn't want to make them feel awkward, so instead we invited all ladies to the dance floor, and awarded a bottle of champagne to whomever caught the bouquet.  It was the most lively bouquet toss I've seen in awhile.  
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • Options
    we did it and it wasn't bad at all, the dj actually asked the girl if she was at the wedding with a date then asked the guy who caught the garter if he would trade place.  so in the end, it was a couple that had the bouqet and garter, it was still fun.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We are skipping it, although I do think the lottery idea could be a lot of fun!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards