New Jersey
Options

finally!! FI has to stop drinking soda.

So Fi just called me and told me that the blood results came in and the doctor said his triglyceride levels are HIGH he's supposed to be @ 150 and its up at 300 something. He's telling me that he has to cut down on pasta and candy and all this stuff not mentioning his obsession with soda. So then we hang up and i saw this snapple thing and i text him no more snapple and it hits me! So i called him and told him NO MORE SODA! The best words to come out of my mouth today. Poor thing can't have anything anymore but its for his own good. I told him he can't even finish off the sodas he has in the fridge. I'm not happy it has come to this point because his levels are high but i'm happy that he'll be getting healthy.

Re: finally!! FI has to stop drinking soda.

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's good bad news!  My triglycerides are also high so I got the same speech.  Very hard for a carb addict!  I'm on decently good behavior now though.

Did the doctor mention anything about Red Yeast Rice supplements?  Mine told me to take 1200 mg a day for a month because it can really help triglycerides (some people are intolerant and can have stomach problems from it, but I've had no side effects at all).
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my DH has the same issues!  he drinks way too much soda and snapple! He never goes to drink water. I do have one diet soda a day but think his habit is disgusting. I've even commented to his mom about it because i'm worried and he doesnt listen.  Oddly he is very fit - you think all that sugar would affect his health.  I'm glad your fi will see the light!

* this was the first time I used DH - so crazy!
  • Options
    VanessaB24VanessaB24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The doctor told him to take 1000mg of the fish oil pills. I don't think that yeast red pill would help him he already has stomach problems.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI drinks soda like its his job, its so gross, I wish someone would tell him he had to stop drinking it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fi used to be worse actually. He would drink soda like with every meal and snack. But when we went to the stomach doctor he told him to cut out soda which Fi couldn't do so i told him he could only have one soda a day which is still bad but whatever.  Now its serious no more soda!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would think that his stomach problems would be more affected by his soda drinking than triglycerides, no?  High tryglycerides aren't great, but it isn't like cutting out one soda a day is going to make a drastic difference.  If he wouldn't make the cut because it was causing stomach pain, I don't know that he'll make the cut because it may make a tiny difference in his cholesterol?  My doctor presented diet changes to me as a "wouldn't it be nice to eat more whole grains and vegetables [which I already eat, thank you very much!] and see if it can make a difference rather than being on medicine for the rest of your life?"  But it isn't like indulgences will kill me or him -- we just need more healthier stuff in our diets and less junk. 

Also, my doctor said that red yeast rice can lower triglycerides by 100 points in a month.  I haven't been retested so I am not sure yet.  I should be clearer -- it can cause gas problems in some people.  It isn't like you can't take it if you have stomach problems.  And it isn't like it isn't effective if you have preexisting stomach conditions.  Might be worth a try.  If he takes a pill and has a bad reaction, then it was a failed experiment.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He has acid reflux. So yea he shouldnt be drinking any soda but i think this time he'll do it. He's also been complaining about his "fat" and how he's gained weight but if anything he's thinner then when i first meant him. I knew putting a scale on our registry was a bad idea (for the both of us)... I don't think he's fat. But he does need to be in healthier shape. I hope this will encourage him to eat healthier and get into shape.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards