New Jersey
Options

Poll: Fondant

Ive started to go to cake tastings for my July wedding and was just curious how many of you are having or had fondant on your cake and what your opinion of it is.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Poll: Fondant

• Options
    Renee1105Renee1105 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We haven't decided on a cake yet but we probably won't use fondant.
    I think fondant cakes look better but I'd rather have a good tasting cake.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is usually buttercream underneath the fondant.  You can just peel it off.
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't like the taste of it and didn't want my guest to suffer for the look of a cake.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also don't like the taste of it, but I do think it can look nicer.  I did buttercream.

With that said, if I was at a wedding and it had fondant, I would just peel it off and still eat the cake, which should still taste good underneath.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we had our tasting last week FI freaked out about how gross he thought the fondant was (his first tme tasting).  He has been saying for now a full week, he will NOT have fondant on our cake. LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Buttercream, most people don't know to peel it off (I never knew till here so I just never ate the cake)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Neither FI nor I are that fond of fondant.  At our cake tastings the bakers had buttercream which we loved, so we didn't bother to try their fondants.  

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i suppose i should need a special snowflake
    our cake was all buttercream (included in the package at the reception hall, fondant would have cost more money)
    but the grooms cake was fondant
    which, is kind of funny since, my husband (the groom) hates fondant
    his mom wanted to have one for him so she went and got one, she ordered it from the same place that our cake came from
    i like the look of fondant, it makes things look neater and clean, but, i can't say for taste....but it can always be peeled off
    my sister makes a lot of cakes and she uses her own fondant...the one she makes is all marshmallow and its really sweet, so i just peel it off and don't eat it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the look of fondant, but buttercream is included in our package and I'm not willing to pay extra for it haha
    *~allie~*

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We just picked a cake out of the hall's book in about 5 seconds, didn't ask about fondant or other options. I'm pretty sure it's just buttercream.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fondant was extra, I didn't like the taste and I figured most people would peel it off anyway so it would have been like throwing away the extra money. 
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-fondant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:241c4664-808d-41d3-9877-d3c620d44037Post:92bacfde-d4da-478d-bd45-feb84267dce5">Re: Poll: Fondant</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the look of fondant, but buttercream is included in our package and I'm not willing to pay extra for it haha
    Posted by akmackay[/QUOTE]

Same here! there is no way I am giving anymore $ towards my hall and their bakers.

Everyone will enjoy my venetian hour more than the cake anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL We are the oddballs - my fiance loves fondant, he loves marshmellow. The fondant was going to be like $300 extra though so we said it was a no go.
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How bad does it taste?  I've never had it.  I love the look and want it, but if it ruins the cake I'll reconsider.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-fondant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:241c4664-808d-41d3-9877-d3c620d44037Post:caee9160-2cd4-4799-9647-d9e32b8e42dd">Re: Poll: Fondant</a>:
    [QUOTE]How bad does it taste?  I've never had it.  I love the look and want it, but if it ruins the cake I'll reconsider.
    Posted by jchristel[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't like wedding cake to begin with.  I usually pig out so much at cocktail hour and then I'm drinking, so dessert is an after thought to me.  If you like the look of fondant then go for it.  I like the look myself but I wasn't willing to spend a single penny upgrading my cake.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't even like the look of fondant. Makes the cake look plastic or wax. I'd rather have a nice yummy buttercream cake!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards