New Jersey
Options

Hawaii Honeymoon on a budget?

We are considering Hawaii for our honeymoon.  We're thinking:

5 nights at Grand Hyatt Kauai
5 nights at Hyatt Regency Maui

We already got pricing from our travel agent, but I'm thinking it might be costly to eat. 

I'm not looking to break the bank but I am looking to have a nice honeymoon, affordably.  Were you able to do Hawaii afforably, specifically eat? 

Re: Hawaii Honeymoon on a budget?

• Options
    lovbulldgslovbulldgs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try and get a deal where breakfast is included.  Both our hotels for our honeymoon include breakfast. We figure if we have a big breakfast and a snack in the afternoon the only big meal would be dinner each day. 
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We found that prices for food in Hawaii were along the lines of (or maybe a little less than) what we'd pay at restaurants of comparable fanciness in NYC.  (Unfortunately, across the board fanciness-wise we didn't feel that we were getting food that was as good as what we'd get for the money in NYC).  There are a lot of casual restaurants though if you're looking to keep spending down to a shout.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree about trying to get breakfast included in your hotel package. That should save you alot of cash!

Here's an article on cheap eats in Maui:
    http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-tr-mauia6apr06
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with the breakfast, my friend did a cruise and that saved major money and then stayed a few days on one island.  He said the breakfasts in Hawaii were $50!  We were doing the same with Bora Bora, and then the food got insane, and there were no meal plans.  I cant see spending $50 on breakfast!

• Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we stayed at the hyatt regency in maui, and we got the buffet breakfast included...good thing too, when we got the bill, it was like $60 total! i couldn't imagine paying $60 everyday for breakfast!
    we went to hawaii with a budget....we had $x to pay for the whole trip (hotel, airfare, car) and $x to spend while there, and we stayed pretty close on our budget....i was honestly surprised we were able to afford hawaii at all....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_hawaii-honeymoon-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:2a81cc42-9d3b-4590-b50b-03ed5efca41aPost:72e3b620-1326-4df4-8760-fa5b6da92b1c">Re: Hawaii Honeymoon on a budget?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the breakfast, my friend did a cruise and that saved major money and then stayed a few days on one island.  He said the breakfasts in Hawaii were $50!  We were doing the same with Bora Bora, and then the food got insane, and there were no meal plans.  I cant see spending $50 on breakfast!
    Posted by Reilly626[/QUOTE]

<div>He was eating in really, really, really fancy places for breakfast then.</div><div>
    </div><div>We stayed at the Hyatt in Kauai, and got free buffet breakfast as part of the room package (I think they have that deal a LOT).  It would have ordinarily been around $25 a day, which is pretty typical for resort buffet breakfasts.  (It is now $28: <a href="http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/images/hotels/kauai/IlimaBreakfastBuffet.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/images/hotels/kauai/IlimaBreakfastBuffet.pdf</a> ... and here's the Hyatt Maui menu, which has a la carte options: <a href="http://www.hyattregencymaui.org/menus/SCAM.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://www.hyattregencymaui.org/menus/SCAM.pdf</a>)</div><div>
    </div><div>There are off-site places where one could get breakfast, or else there are grocery stores on the islands where one could buy breakfast foods to eat every morning instead of sitting down for a heavy restaurant breakfast every morning.</div>
  • Options
    cknud112cknud112 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm assuming that $28 buffet price is per person, so it would be $56 per couple.
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Either way, its too much for a breakfast! And who wants to go hunting for Dunkin Donuts on their honeymoon?  Good luck!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    But that's definitely around what someone should expect to pay for an all-you-can-eat buffet at a nice hotel!  It isn't IHOP.  Resort food is always expensive because of the captive audience.  Even the buffet at the Olde Mill Inn, which is a much more modest hotel and is in NJ, is $27.  You're paying for the ability to gorge yourself for as long as you want -- not very cost-effective if you just want a waffle, but a good deal if you're going to eat a ton of the meats and such.  

Besides, It may be included in their room package.  But if that doesn't work for them, they could get a la carte breakfast rather than the buffet, go off-site for breakfast, or buy stuff at a grocery store to eat in the room.

(BTW I was thinking the person above meant $50 a person because there are places that charge that) 
  • Options
    dominoe611dominoe611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just returned from a trip to Hawaii and I think we did it pretty affordably.  We also went on our HM and splurged but for this most recent trip we cut costs wherever we could.  Having a buffet breakfast included is great - we did this for our HM and I don't think we bought lunch once.  We usually just had a snack during the day and then an early-ish dinner and we were fine. 

On this most recent trip we booked one hotel on priceline and another on a starwood special so no breakfast included but we still did not break the bank.  We are not huge breakfast eaters anyway so usually we got something light and then picked up Subway or a sandwich at a deli for lunch.  We did do some nicer dinners that were over $100 each but we also did some that were well under $50 - Lahaina Pizza in Lahaina, Maui, Keoki's Paradise in Poipu, Kauai (eat in the bar area, not the main dining room) and a burger place in the Wailea Shops in Maui. 

Also, since you mentioned the Hyatts and I know they are popular for HM trips to Hawaii, right now in Costco you can buy Hyatt Gift Checks - $100 worth for $80.  We picked up a bunch and used them for the spa and restaurants at the Hyatt in Kauai with no problems.  If you are a Costco member, maybe try and pick some up!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try to save where you can, but don't skimp.  You will probably never get back to Maui, so even if you have to open a few envelopes to really make the trip memorable, I would do it.  In the end, spending an extra 1-2K or whatever it ends up being is really not much over the long term.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards