New Jersey
Options

Poll: Cheaping out?

My parents were really helpful, in addition to being emotionally supportive, during our engagement ... they paid for my dress, our flowers and the rehearsal dinner, and gave us some cash along the way to use for whatever we wanted. They also gave us a generous wedding gift. 

We wanted to get them something nice to thank them for their help (we gave them an inexpensive necklace and cufflinks at the rehearsal dinner, since we were too short on cash at the moment to get a nicer gift). We think they would really love to see the James Taylor/Carole King show at the Prudential Center in June. And I also suggested that we treat them to dinner beforehand, either by giving them a gift certificate to a restaurant or by taking them out ourselves and then driving them to the show.

I checked the ticket prices ... it would amount to $340 for them to sit downstairs, vs. $208 to sit in the mezzanine. I've been to Prudential for a concert and there's really not a bad seat in the house, so the lower level seats wouldn't be a vast improvement over the mezzanine seats. Plus I think they'd be annoyed if I spend $150 per ticket just so they could sit downstairs. But since they were so generous to us, I feel like it'd be cheap and selfish to forego the lower level seats just to save $100.

So, what do you think I should do?

Re: Poll: Cheaping out?

• Options
    mrsdevilguymrsdevilguy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try also checking stubhub or ebay to see if you might be able to find a deal on tix. Restaurant wise there are many good portuguse restaurants in the area and Brick City Bar & Grill is right across the street has good food at decent prices.
    Kelly & Ron 10.01.10
    Photobucket
    Anniversary Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that if there really isn't a difference in the view from the top to the bottom, then totally get the cheaper seats and use that money for a car to take them to and from.  I think that would be awesome; a car, dinner and a show, sounds like an awesome night to me and I am sure they will love it.  

• Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i like the idea of using the additional money for car service.  I think it enriches the entire experience and it'll be a nice treat for them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If the seats aren't that different, I would agree to use the additional $ towards car service or dinner.

Really nice thought - my mom loves Carole King too
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Mezz seats can be better in terms of view.  If they are sitting in the lower sections, they may not be able to see the whole stage and depending on where they are seated they may not have a good view of the performers or the large screen.  Mezz is a safer bet that they will see everything.  Plus, binoculars are really cheap if you want to get them a set  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that the overall gift idea is great regardless of where they are sitting.  If the view is fine from both then I would defly get them the mezz seats and then treat them to dinner or whatever.  But even if you get the lower level seats that would be more than enough! 
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the car service is a GREAT idea!
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I say buy the cheaper seats but don't feel like you have to spend that money on something else. I already think it's a generous enough gift.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards