New Jersey

Poll: Bouquet/Garter Toss (which would you prefer?)

FI is dead set on doing the bouquet and garter toss.  I really don't want to do the whole garter replacement thing in which whoever caught the garter puts it on whoever caught the bouquet because I foresee some horrible inappropriateness.  Luckily, I convinced FI that the garter replacement could get skeevy, but he's still set on doing the two tosses (totally fine with me). 

So, we have two options that we're toying with and I'm wondering which of the two you would prefer as a guest.  I'm not giving a "Just don't do the tosses" option because in FI's mind not doing the toss just isn't an option.

For both options we wouldn't single out the singles (all of the women will be asked to come out for the bouquet toss and all the men will be asked to come out for the garter toss) because my side has very few singles and/or unmarried couples and the idea of marriage on FI's side is kind of ambiguous.

Also, if you have any other suggestions, feel free to post below.

image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Poll: Bouquet/Garter Toss (which would you prefer?)

• felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think both are good ideas, if FI is dead set on doing this.  But I personally like the lottery tickets idea, but that might be because I am obsessed with scratch-offs. :)
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think that scratch-offs are more universally appealing than wine. The only wine I really drink is pinot grigio, so if it was a wine other than that it'd go to waste in my house.

A gift card could also be used in place of wine.
  • JerseyMLJerseyML member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the scratch off lottery tickets idea too.  When I read it I thought it was a perfect idea!  I would love to see my mom b*tch slap someone for a chance to play the scratch off lottery tickets (her favorite-besides the slot machines).
    "Do I look like a killer to you?" "Yes, you kill my patience." -Castle
  • kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd be afraid with my crowd that if they knew the prize was lottery tickets ahead of time, things would get ugly lol.  I think we're going to use the wine bottle or gift card option.  
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I think the lottery ticket idea is good.  Its nice and simple and would be fun, even if someone wins five dollars everyone will be excited.

I want to do the traditional bouquet/garter toss, but my FI is against it.  He feels it will make people uncomfortable to do that.  I feel that people know what happens with it and if they are uncomfortable or not sure about it they won't go up for the toss to begin with.  I like the tradition and I know all of our friends and family around our age will do it, and older guest will just watch.  Its been an ongoing debate between us, I like the lottery ticket idea, I may just offer that as a compromise to him.
  • edited December 2011
    Haha thanx... though I can't take credit for the idea... just something I saw at another wedding! =)
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• edited December 2011
    I like both ideas. I voted for the wine option though--that seemed more appealing to me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    again...i'm the odd man out.  i think the lottery ticket thing is kind of cheesy for a wedding.  i voted for the wine. 

even if the winner(s) doesnt drink that type of wine - they can save it for when they have guests over OR they can re-gift it when they go to someone else's place. 
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think both ideas are great!  I would go for the wine though , b/c I love wine!!
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-bouquetgarter-toss-would-prefer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:2c07c7c6-4736-4c1e-9f9c-d59db7d40699Post:f526d32c-8f7e-4314-bed7-a6b4999993ce">Re: Poll: Bouquet/Garter Toss (which would you prefer?)</a>:
    [QUOTE]again...i'm the odd man out.  i think the lottery ticket thing is kind of cheesy for a wedding.  i voted for the wine.  even if the winner(s) doesnt drink that type of wine - they can save it for when they have guests over OR they can re-gift it when they go to someone else's place. 
    Posted by reese511[/QUOTE]

I'm with you -- I thought that the lottery ticket thing was kind of cheesy too.  I don't know that winning wine is all that much better (although I think enough people enjoy wine that it isn't like they're going to say no to it -- but that could get weird if someone underage wins it).

But I would think this would be logistically annoying too.  Are you really going to ask ALL of your guests (150+ people usually) to crowd the dance floor for this?   Will they all fit in the general area?  How long is it going to take to get everyone in a spot that they have a chance? 
    If I were a guest, I'd probably think it was strange and disruptive.
  • NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote for the tickets!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards