New Jersey
Options

Is this really that big a deal?

We sent out our invitations last week and love the way they came out! We wanted a simple black invitation with an aqua bow to match our colors. When we ordered them we knew the response card was also black and the reception card. When we started getting them together to mail out we realized hmmm how are ppl going to write on the response card if they don't have a silver or white pen? Since they were ordered and nothing we could do about it now we wrote on it with a black pen to see how it would come it. Yes, it was a little hard to read but not impossible.

We already got a few responses back some wrote with a black pen and some wrote with silver. A lot of friends have told us they came out great and love the way they look. So far aside from my grandfather no one has said anything about it being black.

Well my dad calls me last night and asked why in the world we picked them? I explained the same thing to him we didn't realize it and nothing we could do now. He said the invitation sets the whole tone of the wedding and ppl are going to think we got them on sale because they are black etc. He was really making me upset. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal and more importantly FI and I love the way they came out. It's just an invitation and ppl aren't even keeping the responses they are mailing them back.

Would you be really confused if you got a black response card or think nothing of it?

Not the best picture but this is what our invitation looks like.

Re: Is this really that big a deal?

• Options
    imagrl10imagrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think it's fine.  you cant do anything about it now. to make you feel better my rsvp date got screwed up by the people. its much earlier than i wanted. and half of my people didnt respond yet. the deadline is thursday:)
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't think you got them on sale or that you were in mourning or something - your dad is being really silly about that - but I *would* be scratching my head a bit and wondering if you'd even see my reply on a black card.

Nothing you can do about it now. The people who are going to send in their reply cards will just make the best of it however they can. The people who would complain about it are the people who probably wouldn't have sent it back anyway. I had white response cards, pre-stamped, and quite a few people couldn't seem to figure out how to drop the damn thing into a mailbox!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think its a big deal at all, I honestly wouldn't even think twice when i was ordering them.. But thats not fair of your dad to make you upset. As long as you can still somewhat see it if they use a blue/black pen, i say its fine!
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't think anything of it. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would think it was just different. I have a lot of metallic pens so would just pull those out to put my name lol.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try not to worry about it now - it's done with and you can't change it.

I'm sure I would think for half a second what pen to use and then when I find one, fill it out.  No one will feel that way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't think anything of it. FI has a black calendar that he loves, so we got a silver sharpie to write on it. No worries!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011

the last thing I think of is "oh did they get this on sale" when I look at invites, I would not think twice about it, you like it thats all that matters, don't let him upset you, i think sometimes parents get as crazy as we can :)

• Options
    Partymixx27Partymixx27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eh, I would think that a couple of the more old-fashioned people might care, but they're the types of pepole likely to nit-pick about mostly out-of-date etiquette rules anyway.  I personally wouldn't care and would figure out some way to make my response visible even if I didn't have a silver pen.  They look very nice from what I see!
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Come to think of it, I'd probably second-guess the supposed price of an invitation if it were really fancy and expensive-looking. Not if it looked like it might've been on sale. It's PAPER, paper that people are going to throw right in the trash can. I think the people who get them on sale are smart, and the people who are spending $10-20 a pop are insane.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't think anything of it! I love unique looking invites,

I would probably hunt for a pen though that could be read.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also feel bad for you. I think you're dad's behaving like a jerk. What are you supposed to do about this now? Why make someone feel bad.

There was a typo on my engagement invites.  I think I wrote "Satuday".  I literally put all of the invites in the envelopes myself and mailed them.  My SIL was the ONLY person who had to pull the invite out and show me how I spelled a word wrong. I don't know why, but it upset me so much! I freaked out.  I then asked a million other people about it, and no one even noticed until I told them and they specifically looked for it.

Moral of the story- don't worry about it!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it is a big deal and no sense in worrying about it now. It is too late. Just try not to let your dad's comments bother you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! For a second I started thinking everyone was going to hate the invites or think we were nuts for having a black response card. I'm just trying to not worry about the small stuff and enjoy the next few months!
  • Options
    rachaelb16rachaelb16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The invite is very nice.  Don't worry about it.  If I really felt like you couldn't read what I wrote on the response card I would just slip a note in with it.  And I would never think that someone got them on sale because of the color.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards