New Jersey
Options

Save the Date Ideas Other then the magnets

Hey any one have any Save the Dates ideas other then the magnets. I love the magnets but wondering if there is anything else out there. All i really see is postcard and magnets. Thanks
R
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Save the Date Ideas Other then the magnets

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've seen people send out little buttons, bookmarks, videos, Viewmasters.

We didn't send out STDs at all and we're very glad that we didn't.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend did magnetic word art and another did a die cut (pop out) 3-panel cartoon (but she is a graphic designer and her husband is an illustrator).

If I did it over again, I wouldn't send them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is kinda cute.... Martha Stewart put it out.
    As a reminder for guests to 'pencil in' your wedding date: a Save The Date Pencil!
    LOL
    http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/good-things/save-the-date-pencils

Definitely different, and if you google 'Save The Date Pencils" you find a thousand more kinds.

I would worry it might get cast aside and forgotten about though... plus how could you mail it...?

For the record, we didn't even send STDs. Agree with PP'ers ~ save the expense and just get the word out by telling people.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    edited December 2011

Some friends of ours did Save the Dates that were cardboard coasters, designed like beer coasters you'd find at a bar.

image 219 Invited image 149 Attending image 68 Declined image 2 Haven't Replied
    RSVP Date July 7
    My Bio updated 5/31/10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just did STD postcards from Vistprint. They were free, and we only sent them out to immediate family and very close friends that we knew would never be eliminated from our guest list. There were a few we didn't send a STD to and are happy we didn't because they ended up getting cut in the end
    *~allie~*

• Options
    jtheissjtheiss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think STDs are only really necessary if you're having a lot of OOT guests who might like advance notice to make travel arrangements or if your wedding falls during a particularly busy time or year or a holiday weekend. If all of your guests live nearby it's not really necessary. We did them because my entire side of the guest list would have to travel from the Midwest and beyond to get here, but we sent them to everyone on our invite list. When it came time to send out invites we wished we hadn't because a few of FI's colleagues he wasn't close to anymore or had left the company (and yet they all still RSVPed Yes!). Agree with pp that you might limit them to people who you know you are definitely inviting no matter what.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We sent traditional save the dates, but I wish we had made up bookmarks.  I LOVE that idea!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We sent regular (but I think very pretty) notecards from Felix Doolittle.

http://www.felixdoolittle.com/web/product_stdc2.aspx

(specifically, we chose this one, which I think was perfect for our venue  ... looks like the road it is on: http://www.felixdoolittle.com/web/images/stdc2/countrywedding.jpg).

I'm not a huge fan of magnets personally, because they're way overdone, and I think people should choose whether you merit a spot on their fridge.  I always feel compelled to put magnet STDs on the fridge even if it isn't a close friend (right now we have the STD of one of my husband's random coworkers on the fridge, and we aren't even going to attend the wedding).

If you go with anything novel, I'd just remember that some people aren't going to want to do an activity (crossword puzzle, word find, puzzle, etc.) or will give up easily, so you don't want to make it hard and may want to include the important info elsewhere.  And while, say, a button can be a cute idea I think (depending on the style of button -- could also be tacky looking), WTF is a person going to do with an STD button?  I don't care if you're my sister, I'm not wearing a button with your wedding info on it, and I don't know where I would file it away so I have the date and such handy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards