New Jersey

Marriage license question

This might be a dumb question...I just wanted to clarify...
The application is valid for 6 months from when you apply, and the license is valid for 30 days from when you pick it up, right?

So we could submit our application up to 6 months prior to the wedding, and pick it up no more than 30 days prior, and we're good?

Just trying to figure out when we need to take off work, since they only do the applications in the mornings 2 days a week in my town.
Thanks!!

Re: Marriage license question

• edited December 2011

Yes- thats how it worked in my town. You can fill out the application, etc anytime 6 months before the wedding and then as long as you dont officially pick it up until 30 days before the wedding or less you are fine. Just make sure the person filling out the application at your town hall knows that and waits to file it. Our town was very confused by it and said most couples only do it 30 days before, but she made an exception for us :)  I just picked it up the other day, and other then FI's bday being wrong and waiting for it to be changed, it wasnt hard at all. Just make sure to check it really well when you pick it up!

• goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You are correct, but I would highly suggest calling the town and speaking to the person there to get their guidelines.
  • Babycakes SEBabycakes SE member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_marriage-license-question-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:37d41c00-1e2d-44d4-bce1-93d2c9d67022Post:ab76f20f-1f23-4de5-b57e-1541f3630d02">Re: Marriage license question</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are correct, but I would highly suggest calling the town and speaking to the person there to get their guidelines.
    Posted by goaliegirl[/QUOTE]

agreed, and also find out the timeline to send your license back.  Ours was 10 days after the wedding, the license has to be sent back with witness signatures and officiant signatures. 

image 291 Invited
    image 140 Ready to Party image 14 Fail image137 testing my patience
    RSVP Date: April 30
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_marriage-license-question-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:37d41c00-1e2d-44d4-bce1-93d2c9d67022Post:86c51017-9aff-4501-9f2b-d347400a22cd">Re: Marriage license question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marriage license question : agreed, and also find out the timeline to send your license back.  Ours was 10 days after the wedding, the license has to be sent back with witness signatures and officiant signatures. 
    Posted by Babycakes SE[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thats a good point.  The town we married in, you had 5 days to file after the wedding, so I would definitely check on that as well.  

</div>
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks girls... actually the 6 month, 30 days thing is a NJ law.. not decided by town you apply in.. I found that here: http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/marriage_apply.shtml

As for after the wedding.. the Priest will be handling that, so I'm sure he is aware of that town's rules.

Gymchick - I'm a little confused about what you said.. if you apply more than 30 days before the wedding, what do you need to tell them? Wouldn't they see on the application when your wedding date is? And why would it matter, as long as you don't pick it up earlier than 30 days and you aren't applying more than 6 months early?

• edited December 2011
    cindy- I dont know for sure- but my town made a big deal about me coming in more then 30 days before since she had to not offically file it until 30 days before. I think all this meant is she types a date on top and the license doesnt really go anywhere, but I was confused to. I just recommend mentioning that your wedding is more then 30 days away when you make the appointment in case they get all confused like my town :)
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Just to add..your officiant should be filing the license in the town where you got married after the wedding not you.  So you shouldn't have to worry about that.  YOu will then go after that and pick up and pay for the certificate.

And I will add...yes it is the law, but it is good to call the town, as they didn't want us coming in really early and then leaving it there until 30 days before in case it got misplaced, etc.    We just made arrangements to go a few weeks before to be safe. 
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_marriage-license-question-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:37d41c00-1e2d-44d4-bce1-93d2c9d67022Post:656a27af-0006-4149-93d4-677f3014fe17">Re: Marriage license question</a>:
    [QUOTE]cindy- I dont know for sure- but my town made a big deal about me coming in more then 30 days before since she had to not offically file it until 30 days before. I think all this meant is she types a date on top and the license doesnt really go anywhere, but I was confused to. I just recommend mentioning that your wedding is more then 30 days away when you make the appointment in case they get all confused like my town :)
    Posted by gymchick05[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification.. makes sense.. there is no reason we need to go more than 30 days early.. I just figured it would be one less thing to take care of then. We will just wait and make it easier for everybody! :)
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_marriage-license-question-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:37d41c00-1e2d-44d4-bce1-93d2c9d67022Post:e7f9ed14-52d6-4df7-84e6-5ebff69de3ea">Re: Marriage license question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just to add..your officiant should be filing the license in the town where you got married after the wedding not you.  So you shouldn't have to worry about that.  YOu will then go after that and pick up and pay for the certificate. And I will add...yes it is the law, but it is good to call the town, as they didn't want us coming in really early and then leaving it there until 30 days before in case it got misplaced, etc.    We just made arrangements to go a few weeks before to be safe. 
    Posted by goaliegirl[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I won't have to worry about filing the license and I checked with someone else that got married in that town and they said they mailed the certificate to them, so I won't have to go pick it up either..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards