New Jersey
Options

Article about Bergen County blue laws

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_blue_law_nj

Thoughts?

I don't really mind not being able to shop there on Sundays. The only thing that I specifically go to Bergen County for is the mall and the stores along Route 17, and that's pretty seldom as it is.

I *will* say that it makes it easy when we're going to visit FI's relatives in Orange County, since we usually take Route 17 up there. We've hit Garden State Plaza traffic coming back home on a few Saturdays, which is not fun. So in those instances, I'm thankful for the blue laws, but otherwise I don't think it'd affect me either way.

Re: Article about Bergen County blue laws

• Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i was just reading that too!

i used to work up at the gsp, so i'm glad i don't anymore....that was the one thing that made working there tolerable, knowing that i was guaranteed one day off at least..
    my parents house is not far from gsp at all, so i'm glad i don't live there anymore, but, just trying to get from their house to 208 in order to go home (which, should take only like, a minute) took me at least 20 minutes during the holiday once becuase rt4 was all backed up from gsp traffic....
    and then, it was nice knowing that you could go to the movies there on a sunday and find parking....

i kind of hope they don't change it, but then, not sure if that's sounding bratty and spoiled by living there with the blue laws for so long...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hate the freakin' Blue Laws. I really only have 2 days a week to get my running around done, and this law basically chops it in half. I can't beleive that they still exist in this day and age.

This may be the *only* thing I could get behind Christie for.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't live in Bergen County but my parents do, so I hope this doesn't pass! Sundays are so nice from a traffic standpoint. Also, I heard that the main reason for this is b/c they want to make sure that eyesore Zanadu can be opened on Sundays which will not only make 17 a mess with the malls but now route 3 as well. I honestly try to shop early in the day if I have to be out on the weekend, if not it's just crazy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There was a post about this the other day on the Nest and I was shocked that pretty much everyone who lives in Berge County thought the blue laws were great.  I always assumed that people must hate them, because I didn't think about the traffic issue.

I've never lived/worked/spent much time in Bergen County, but there have been many times that I've wanted to escape the city on Sunday to go to Target/Ikea/etc.  I've  driven to Paramus and then realized that everything was closed :(

I couldn't deal with the traffic in that area so I see how a day of rest can be a good thing for the locals -- but it has to be a huge inconvenience to people if they are tied up on a Saturday and therefore have to drive far to do their errands on Sunday.  And doesn't it cause a lot more congestion on Saturday because everyone is out taking care of things rather than having it spread out over two days?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I grew up in Paramus, my parents and a bunch of friends still live there.  We'd all flip out if the blue laws are repealed.  During the holiday season, my parents try to avoid even leaving the house on Saturdays because the traffic is so bad (it can literally take them an hour to get across town).  Sunday is the only day that the town is relatively quiet and bearable to drive around - year round.  I believe that the mayor of Paramus made some comment about how Christie's proposal would happen over his dead body, and I think that almost everyone who lives in Paramus would agree.

Also, plenty of stores and malls that are open on Sunday aren't far away at all - Willowbrook is literally 15 minutes away, for example.  As a kid, if I desperately needed something from the store on a Sunday, I'd just take a trip there - just like everyone else who lives in Paramus.  It just seems like Christie is willing to sacrifice quality of life of some of his constituents for the convenience of others.
  • Options
    Kris10_NJKris10_NJ member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I were just talking about this over the weekend.  We live in Bergen County and while it is sometimes annoying to have to cram everything into Saturday, come Sunday it's kind of nice to have the roads less crowded.  I think it's a nice break for employees to have Sunday off, esp since Sunday is supposed to be the "day of rest" (in Christian religions at least). 

I can see how retailers might want to repeal them, especially in this economy, for an extra day of commerce but I think in this case some things are better left unchanged.  Plus, if you REALLY need something on Sunday traveling to another county isn't such a huge deal.
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I hate that the Bergen County stores are closed on Sundays.  I may be in the minority, but I hardly ever get out during the week to the store and we usually are pretty busy on Saturdays, so I would love if the stores were open on Sundays.  As for the traffic...this is North Jersey, there is always traffic, I am used to it by now! LOL

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Eh, the whole thing sinks.  Extra sales tax revenue....but guess what, they will collect that and it still won't be enough...and now the whole area will be a congested mess 7 days a week.

If they want to do it for the sake of collecting more money, fine....but don't lie and say the reason is so people can buy sump pumps and generators........everyone that lives there knows where to go on Sunday's to buy that stuff albeit the stores are a few miles further......
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards