New Jersey
Options

Friday or Sunday

Well Chris and I went to look at the Manor this weekend and we went back to look at Highlawn Pavilion again and for a few reasons have decided to get married at the Manor. We are so thrilled!

We are now faced with a new dilema, in order to keep costs down we are looking to have the reception on either a Friday or a Sunday.... both of them have pro's and con's but I would love some feedback from other brides.

Thankkkkks =o)

Re: Friday or Sunday

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Are you looking at any dates surrounding a holiday weekend, or a "regular" Friday or Sunday? And would the Sunday wedding be an afternoon or an evening reception?

I would personally rather attend a Friday night wedding than a Sunday afternoon or evening wedding. (This is assuming that it's a "regular" date, not a holiday weekend.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It will be a regular weekend, and the reception will be during the evening and thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What time of year? I ask only because depending on some of your guest it may be easier for them to take off on a Monday if you have a Sunday wedding. So too is the same for a Friday. I am a teacher so if it is over the summer then I am ok with a Sunday wedding.
    Friday weddings are okay.

Sunday maybe hard for some. Then again Friday could be hard for others.

Do what you want. If ppl want to support you and be part of your day they will be there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is on a Sunday. We have a lot of OOT guests who would have to take Friday off if our wedding was on a Friday. This way they can come in on Saturday or Friday night an enjoy all of the pre-festivities with us and leave on Monday. At least that was our thought. And it was the cheaper night.
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Sunday Manor bride! 

I picked sunday because of the obvious pricing benefits.  My reason for not picking Friday was because it is important to me and many of my guests to be able to come to the church ceremony, which is scheduled at 3:00.  My reception will be over by 10:30, so it is not late.  Figured I'd rather have people leave a bit early than not make it to mass, but thats just me.
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on what kind of wedding you want to have and who you are inviting.We are having out wedding on a Sunday evening,but  we are having a fairly small wedding - around 80 of our closest friends and family.  We are also a bit older so, frankly, many of my friends and family have the ability (and won't mind) taking a day off of work.  We liked Sunday because our wedding is being held out of town (upstate NY)  and we are going to have activtiies (such as a wine tasting and a golf outing) the Saturday before.  We  already had a bunch of family members that are even coming up for Friday night! 

I agree - the people you love will be there - if they cannot, realize that a Friday or Sunday ican be inconvenient and in no way feel offended. 

I have a Friday wedding in Long Island to attend soon.  In order to get there in time, I still need to take the day off, so it really makes no difference unless you skip the ceremony, which I would not do. These days, I actually like having a reason to take a day from work ;)

• Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Friday night! But if you're my good friend, I'd come to either and just take Monday off. =)

But a lot of people don't have that luxury...my FI would prob not be able to go if we'd need to travel or if it were local he's be boring because he wouldn't drink much. I'd see what works best for your close family and friends you really want to be there and go with that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had wanted to have a Sunday evening wedding, but will be having a Sunday afternoon wedding because I learned that it will be hard for my out of town friends who really want to be there to make it if it is in the evening.  It is more important to me personally to have those people at the wedding than to have an evening affair.  Do whatever makes you the happiest personally!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, but had an evening ceremony at our venue. 

Honestly, you can't please everyone all the time.  No matter when you choose, some will be there and some will not. 

Congrats on finding the location!
  • Options
    JennM31JennM31 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we chose a sunday wedding with the church in the afternoon and reception in the evening in the summer. Any of our oot guest would have had to taken off on either wed or thursday to come in to town if we had it on a friday. and Most locals would have had to take off on friday or make an early day. So we decided to be fair and make it a sunday wedding. So if anyone so chooses they can take off monday or not.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sunday of a holiday weekend! That's what I'm doing :) you get the cheaper Sunday rate but people don't have to work the next day. 

But if that's not an option, maybe have the reception end by 9 or 10.

I really hate Friday weddings. I'm so exhausted by the end of the week that the last thing I want to do is go to a wedding. So as a guest, I'd greatly prefer Sunday over Friday!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Friday and dont expect anyone to show up at the church
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    How much are you looking to save by doing this?

I prefer Friday night over Sunday.

I've been to several Friday night weddings and there were plenty of people at the church.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing a Friday, but we both have summer's off, so that worked for us.  I like the energy better on a Friday than a Sunday, Sunday you have to leave and be ready for work Monday.  As far as the church, the people that matter most will be there.  Those that go to the ceremony will be there, those that dont wont.  Im using Dash of Class, they record your vows and replay before your entrance at the reception.  I like that.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Friday.  I had a friend who had a church ceremony at 3:00 on a friday and most people were there.  I prefer friday to sunday because I would rather have people miss my ceremony than have them all leave early because its a sunday.  I also think though that you cant please everyone so its your wedding and you should choose what you want to do.  I wanted to be able to spend the weekend with our family that is flying into town and that is less stressful if we do the wedding on friday. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't like sunday weddings.  I would much rather a friday wedding. 
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My preference is Sunday.  As tough as the next day is (and, honestly, because we've only attended Sunday weddings that were around an hour away from home, we typically cut off our fun on the early side and leave a bit early), it is really, really hard for us to cut out of work and get ready for a Friday afternoon ceremony.

My answer is much more neutral if you aren't having a church wedding.  It is REALLY hard for me to be at a 4 pm ceremony on Friday (and I don't believe in not going to the ceremony), but a 7 pm ceremony wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sunday.  I had mine on a Sunday and it was fine.  I am not a fan of Friday weddings because the week has been long, I'd have to take off from work to get to the ceremony as I don't believe in skipping this part, and if for some reason I did skip it I'd have to take at least a 1/2 day.

All that being said depending on how good of a friend you are I'd probably take the day or 1/2 day on Friday.
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I don't really think it matters.  The people from OOT will have to take Fri. or Mon. off anyway to attend. 

The local people would probably prefer a Friday because its easier to take a half day on a Friday then it is to take all day Monday off.  You really don't want people leaving early on the Sunday.

Have you thought about a Sunday afternoon?  In your case it may be a good option.  That would be great for local and OOT. 

• Options
    edited December 2011

I'd say Sunday, but try not to let it go too late. I'm getting married on a Sunday for religious reasons and we are having it from 3 to 9.  That way even the people who are coming from 2 hours away (Philly) can make it home by 11 if they don't want to get a hotel room.

I've been to one Thursday night and one Friday night wedding in the last few months, and although it was fine, I was a little irritated that I HAD to leave work super early to go.  Even if people skip the ceremony they will need time to get ready. I was glad to do it for good friends, but at least on a Sunday people don't have to take off work.   I've also been to a few Sunday weddings and it was nice not too feel rushed while getting ready.

My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    friday night for sure.  Sunday evening is inconvenient because you have to get up for work the next day.  At least with a friday night you get to sleep in the next morning
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I chose Friday. I would prefer guests have the chance to stay as late as possible having fun at the reception than to stress to make the ceremony.  I won't mind having less at the ceremony if people have to work. Our cocktail hour is at 730 which gives the guests extra time if they did go to work.
    Sundays wouldn't jive with me unless it is a holiday weekend. Holiday weekends are perfect but regular Sunday's, guests will leave early becuase they have work in the morninng.  Probably won't drink as much and be silly.  Atleast on Friday, you have the rest of the weekend ahead of you.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your feedback everyone!

The wedding is in the fall, either Oct. 14 or 16. 2011, depending on the Fri or Sun, and Columbus day weekend was already booked. <---bummer

We are 90% sure we are getting married in a church, although it is not important to me but it is something my FI wants.

We would be saving about $30 a head, so I would rather get married on a Fri or Sun and invite all 230,  than have to cut the guest list and get married on a Saturday.

I agree that everyone who wants to be there  will make it happen, and we don't have too many out of town guests, I think we just have to talk it out some more and  pick a date!

Thanks again ladies!
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I was able to negotiate a Saturday night at the Friday night price at my place.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely prefer a Friday night over a Sunday.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With 230 people there will be a good chunk of people who may not come to a Friday or Sunday wedding because of work conflicts etc...

Therefore, maybe cut them off the guest list and have a smaller wedding on a Saturday night so those that you are close with are not inconvenienced at all.  Just a thought...

Also, keep the faith, you end up finding money you didn't think you would have and maybe you could cut other things and stretch others so that you can do a Saturday night. 

Or split the baby and book a Sunday of a holiday weekend like Sunday of Labor Day weekend.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Or even better do Friday of Labor Day weekend 2011.  People are more inclined to take a Friday off of work when its wrapped around a holiday weekend.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As far as I've read on here...most girls who had holiday weekend weddings didn't save anything by having it on a Sunday.  Just an fyi.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You save about 10-20 per person for a Sunday of a holiday weekend.  This is what I learned after looking at about 30 venues for the Sunday of Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend 2011. 

It's not as much but its something.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And to add to cvl's point - as you are in peak season they are less likely to negotiate as big of a discount for that.

Loyla - no matter what you are inconveniencing people so cutting the guest list to just those nearest and dearest doesn't work.  What happens if one of them has another wedding to go to?  Then you cut your list and that person still won't be there.  As well not everyone can afford a Saturday night, cut the guest list, or is able to.

A saturday night is not the be all and end all of a wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards