New Jersey
Options

Monetary Wedding Registries

Has anyone used or registered with a monetary wedding registry, such as WeddingGreen.com or RainfallofEnvelopes.com.?  What did you think about it?
Thanks for sharing.
Pat

Re: Monetary Wedding Registries

• Options
    edited December 2011
    NO....that's extremely tacky IMO.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't even imagine registering for money.  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really wouldn't do this.  I got mostly money for my wedding, but almost all gifts for my shower (and some money and gift cards).
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    Here's another option, although I wouldn't tell your guests you're doing this (I know someone who openly told people her plan).

Register at a place like Bed Bath and Beyond.  They have a ridiculously good return policy.  If you really only need a few things for your house, then return the rest and they will give you cash.  I know it's a whole process, but you don't even need the receipt and you won't offend your guests this way.

Another option would be a Honeymoon fund.  I guess it's sort of like asking for cash but it doesn't across as tacky. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No I can't imagine coming out and asking for money......its bad etiquette
  • Options
    PalocksPalocks member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This type of registry is not asking out right for money but can be used for items, specifics on your honeymoon (dinners, massages) etc...   Someone mentioned this to me and I just wanted to know if anyone else as heard of it or used it.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would then use honeyfund.com or some website like that. It sounds more like a honeymoon registry than WeddingGreen.com or RainfallofEnvelopes.com
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard of those types of websites but I would never do it myself.  I would rather not go on a honeymoon or postpone the honeymoon until I saved enough money. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had to laugh at the name Rainfall of Envelopes. Make it rain on em!!

Seriously though, not a good idea. Very rude to your guests.

• Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Two gems:

A registry:

I created this site just for you. Your monetary support is appreciated. Please send money to Rance as often as you can(monthly preferably). It automatically emails me once you add money, so you dont even have to contact me at all. You can use your debit/credit card to send the money using the secure paypal site below. You can send money no matter if you're in the US or Europe.

Their stance on asking for money:
    Is it appropriate for me to ask for money gifts for my event?
    Yes. Money has always been an acceptable gift for most occasions. Store-bought gifts became popular in part by advertising that convinced consumers "it's the thought that counts." This caused problems with duplicate and unwanted gifts, leading to the creation of the gift registry. These registries have become so popular that it is now considered inappropriate not to offer a gift registry for a wedding or other large event. As a result, many individuals now find it difficult to politely request money.

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No way.  Super tacky.

Honeymoon registries are much more okay in my mind, although you should note that a lot of people find those rude as well.  I just think they're stupid because I know that the most sites take a fee (whereas I wouldn't pay a fee if I gave the couple money directly), and I know that at the end of the day the couple gets a check that they can use for anything.  Therefore, I really don't need to buy into the charade of buying the couple "A relaxing signature heavenly massage side-by-side, with the sounds the ocean under a private poolside cabana" (stolen from a random profile on honeyfund).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tif - a lot of BBB have stopped giving you cash back.  I tried 3 different ones and none of them would do it as they said corporate policy changed.  Maybe a few do but I know a lot do not anymore.

As for the honeymoon fund - personally I still find those tacky.  Especially since many charge you the person giving the gift fee and as uppereast said most just give the couple a check. 
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother did because the wedding was in Peru.  Dont do it though, because they keep a percentage!
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_monetary-wedding-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:468aeecd-1ae0-46f3-b47c-621df104bc53Post:079ff562-65ee-4842-bfba-1aba223998f4">Re: Monetary Wedding Registries</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tif - a lot of BBB have stopped giving you cash back.  I tried 3 different ones and none of them would do it as they said corporate policy changed.  Maybe a few do but I know a lot do not anymore. As for the honeymoon fund - personally I still find those tacky.  Especially since many charge you the person giving the gift fee and as uppereast said most just give the couple a check. 
    Posted by caketime[/QUOTE]

Wow! Last year I returned stuff that I had received doubles of on more than one occasion and I was shocked that they gave me cash instead of store credit.  It makes sense.  It was a ridiculously easy policy.  Other stores wouldn't even let me exchange without a gift receipt! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think these types of registries are much more popular/accepted in other areas of the country. I find on the national boards and on my club board a lot more people use them than here. I have to agree it's a bit tacky IMO. Why not a regular registry?
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do a honey moon registry instead.  If people think they are tacky still then they don't have to buy off of it.  As for the person who is against them because they charge a fee, to me, it's the same as if paying for shipping.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honeyfund.com doesn't charge fees
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards