New Jersey

kind of freaking out

So I just realized the wedding is in 8 months. Which is really exciting. Too bad all we have done as far as planning is the venue for the ceremony/reception. Need to get my (and my fiancee's) @$$ in gear with this planning! Need to find a DRESS and order it like yesterday, feeling the stress now...

Photobucket

Re: kind of freaking out

• edited December 2011
    It'll all work out!  No worries!  :-)  Do you have any ideas about where you're going to go dress hunting?
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a few places on my list so far: Bijou Bridal in Paramus (mostly b/c it's about 10 minutes fro my house), Park Ave in Verona and Hollywood in Kennilworth (my sister got her dress, the BM dresses and tuxes from them when they were in Union when she got married, they do a great job on alterations and were very nice). Any other reccomendations for a nice place that also has plus size samples?

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Don't stress! You still have plenty of time to find a dress. Have you started looking online to get ideas on styles and looks? Also do you already have a price range in mind?
  • edited December 2011
    Park Ave is great! I got my BM dresses from there, they have a huge selcetion of dresses.

• edited December 2011
    I HIGHLY recommend Russell's in Linden.  Everyone there is great, but Erica is my absolute favorite!
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress from Park Avenue in Verona and I was very pleased that they had plus-sized samples.

My suggestion would be to get the alterations done elsewhere, though. I paid a flat fee up front, before I knew I'd only need a hem and nothing else, so I was driving an hour to get there and paying a few hundred dollars just to stand there for 10 minutes and have someone stick pins in my skirt. In hindsight, I would've found a good seamstress closer to my home.
  • edited December 2011
    Right down the road try Arlene's Bridals in Bloomfield- they were sooo nice and they had plus sized samples as well. I got my dress there - very nice selection.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_kind-of-freaking-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:47281826-6411-4cbe-9b12-be287de225eaPost:4abeb711-ef59-49bb-b5a6-72c0ffb42a3c">Re: kind of freaking out</a>:
    [QUOTE]Right down the road try Arlene's Bridals in Bloomfield- they were sooo nice and they had plus sized samples as well. I got my dress there - very nice selection.
    Posted by gymchick05[/QUOTE]

I was in two weddings that used Arlene's for BM dresses. I had a good experience with them as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I also recommend Arlene's.  I ordered my dress there.  I know they have a plus-sized sample section, but I'm not sure how it compares in size to some of the other recommended shops. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    204 Invited image
    7 Ready to Celebrate! image
    1 Going to Miss The Fun image
    196 Making Us Wait image *RSVP Date April 25*
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    Out of curiosity, are you going to see each other's dresses, or are you keeping them a surprise until the wedding day?
  • edited December 2011
    i went to the J.Crew store in NYC and its AWESOME!  i got my dress there and would def recommend going there.  plus...they have stock in all of their dresses, so i got it a week after i ordered it!  GL!
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks pep talk and suggestions ladies! I'll check out Arlene's and Russel's too (Linden isn't too far from Kennilworth is it?). I don't really know what I want. I've looked online and in several bridal magazines. I think I want a tip of the shoulder neckline, but who knows, i need to try some on. price range i don't know, my parents are probably picking up the cost and my mom doesn't tell me these things. I don't like spending a ton of money, so I'll be looking for something affordable, no couture gown for this chick. Probably something pretty simple, maybe a little beading.

MBC - I have no issue with seeing my fiancee's dress, I'd even go dress shopping together, but she's very traditional and doesn't want to see my dress until the ceremony. We'll have friends make sure we don't look silly in our two dresses. And I plan on going down the aisle first because I really want to watch her walk down the aisle. Plus age before beauty, I have almost 3 years on her lol

Photobucket
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    That will be a nice surprise for both of you, then :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards