New Jersey
Options

Cost to meet with a travel agent?

Is the initial meeting free (and we just pay if we book through her), or is there some kind of fee?

My family is traveling to Ireland this summer, and DH and I are going with them. They're going to stay in Ireland for maybe a week ... we plan to stay with them about half that time and then go to Italy on our own. Initially we figured that we'd let my mom plan the Ireland portion through the travel agent and just get us one-way plane tickets to Ireland, then we'd plan the Italy portion ourselves.

Mom met with the TA, who said that she can't book me and DH a one-way ticket if the whole family will be getting round-trip tickets. She either plans the whole trip (Ireland and Italy) for me and DH, or we plan the whole trip ourselves and have to make sure that we sync up with my family in Ireland. I feel that it's easier to just let the TA plan everything, but DH thinks it'll be cheaper to do it on our own and she's just saying this to get the commission from us.

I said we should meet with the TA to hear her out on pricing and then compare it to our own research. Is there a cost for this? I don't want to pay a big fee just to say, "No thanks, we'll plan our own trip."

Re: Cost to meet with a travel agent?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We met with a travel agent to discuss our honeymoon...no fee for the consultation.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    never heard of a fee.... we've gone in and out of travel agencies without booking anything many times
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Cool, thanks!
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's free, but I agree that's a weird thing to say. She could have said she could only book your family's travel (and leave you and your husband to book the same flight there and same hotel or whatever on your own)...I find it odd that she said she would do the whole thing or nothing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are paying nothing for the travel agent at all.  She has booked our entire honeymoon with never a fee.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_cost-meet-travel-agent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:478b4489-b602-4cdd-9623-8e6dc179c6c0Post:42bf867d-7dcc-45fe-8f93-473f7b27bba7">Re: Cost to meet with a travel agent?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's free, but I agree that's a weird thing to say. She could have said she could only book your family's travel (and leave you and your husband to book the same flight there and same hotel or whatever on your own)...I find it odd that she said she would do the whole thing or nothing.
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]

Oh, she'd book my family's trip. She was just saying that, if DH and I are not coming home from Ireland with them, she wouldn't be able to book one-way tickets for me and him. She could still book my family's tickets and DH and I would be on our own.

DH is fine with doing everything ourselves, but I'd personally rather let someone else handle it. But I'm lazy :P
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I see...I misunderstood the "us" in the OP.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, should've clarified! I edited the original post to make it clearer in case anyone else chimes in late.
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where are you going in Italy?  I went last year and loved it if you need any recs! :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_cost-meet-travel-agent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:478b4489-b602-4cdd-9623-8e6dc179c6c0Post:305a95c8-3d9b-48e7-9db6-ee8e07590edd">Re: Cost to meet with a travel agent?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where are you going in Italy?  I went last year and loved it if you need any recs! :)
    Posted by jchristel[/QUOTE]

Would you mind emailing me any of your recs? We're going to Rome and Florence as part of our honeymoon. swalcheski at gmail dot com. Sorry to hijack the post!

I feel like you'd be better off booking everything on your own- but that's just in my experience.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree. I would see their price and compare the research you do.

From what I understand, TAs (not sure if all do) get paid their fee / commission through the hotels and airlines that they book people with.  I never use a TA but we did for our honeymoon and her prices were the same or better than I found from calling the hotels directly.
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_cost-meet-travel-agent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:478b4489-b602-4cdd-9623-8e6dc179c6c0Post:c110717d-1898-44e6-978f-c513855a605f">Re: Cost to meet with a travel agent?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cost to meet with a travel agent? : Would you mind emailing me any of your recs? We're going to Rome and Florence as part of our honeymoon. swalcheski at gmail dot com. Sorry to hijack the post! I feel like you'd be better off booking everything on your own- but that's just in my experience.
    Posted by smw42[/QUOTE]

<div>YGM :)</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    maddie7maddie7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its free, but they make commission.  We are members of Triple A, I went there and Liberty and I still did better booking it myself online through Expedia.  If its not a real "tricky" trip in the world of computers its easy and cheaper to do yourself through one of the big name travel sites.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_cost-meet-travel-agent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:478b4489-b602-4cdd-9623-8e6dc179c6c0Post:305a95c8-3d9b-48e7-9db6-ee8e07590edd">Re: Cost to meet with a travel agent?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where are you going in Italy?  I went last year and loved it if you need any recs! :)
    Posted by jchristel[/QUOTE]

Definitely Rome.

We were also tossing around the idea of visiting Venice and Florence. From what I've read, Florence is the better bet if we have to pick just one. 

FIL is originally from Naples (well, Torre del Greco, technically), so DH was interested in visiting there if possible, and also Pompeii which seems like it's only 20-30 minutes away.

If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it! <strong>mbcdefg2009 (at) gmail.com</strong> if you would prefer to e-mail them to me :) 
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely go to Florence MB!  It is an amazing city with amazing things to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards