North Carolina

Married - long, very emotional weekend

Hey girls,

We are married! Yay!  The wedding and reception were perfect!  But it was a roller coaster of a weekend.

Our parents got down on Wednesday.  The plan was to have me driving down with my parents on thursday and FI to follow on friday.  Well, when my parents came over on thursday they told me that my grandmom had unexpectedly become very ill over night and would likely pass in the next few days.  So for a while, my mom and I debated flying home to be with her then coming back down here on Saturday for the rehearsal.  My grandmom had my uncle call me to wish me the best.  It was the hardest phone call I have ever had.  She was saying goodbye and told me that I was not allowed to come up b/c there were more important things. So my parents and I went to the beach that day and everyone else came down Friday. 

The weather was perfect. The beach house was awesome.  We rented a huge beach house that we stayed in with all our friends.  It was great!  Of course most of the weekend was spent handling the situation with my grandmom which made it very hard to focus on everything.

Sunday, wedding day, started out eh.  The rentals came way early. So we had to scramble.  But the reception hall came together so well.  When I left to go get ready, I was so giddy.  Nathan and I did a first look.  It was such a special moment.  We met on the beach and exchanged cards.  Everything was perfect.

Right before the ceremony was about to start, a surfer was pulled out of the water right in front of our ceremony location.  He had been caught in the bad current and was under water for a long time.  Our photog, who is also a paramedic, dropped his gear and began working on the guy.  Our officiant performed last rights.

Once things started, everything was perfect and beautiful!  The reception was a blast.  The band was great, the food was good.  veryone told us it was one of the best weddings they had ever been to.  We continued the party over at our beach house.  However, not too long after, we received the call that my grandmother had passed.  I was heartbroken.  Our photog had e-mailed my family in jersey pictures from the ceremony before the reception in hopes that she could see some.  But she passed before they could get there.

We are not leaving for our honeymoon until Friday.  I am so thankful for that b/c now we can go up to Jersey and be a part of her service.  We are driving up tomorrow morning and will get back in just enough time to grab our bags and board our plane to costa rica.

It is so hard to put into words everything I felt this weekend.  I'm emotionally drained and cannot wait for so relaxing vacation time to recover.  Sorry this is so long.  I've included some pics below.

Re: Married - long, very emotional weekend

• edited December 2011
    So sad about your grandmother but so happy for you! You look beautiful in the pictures! Congrats!! 
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im so sorry to hear about your grandmother, but I am sure she was happy knowing her family was together celebrating a special time and showing their love for each other and her at the same time.  She sounds like a great lady.

Congratulations on being married -- you look gorgeous in your photos.  Good luck with all your family dealings in the next few days, and enjoy your honemoon!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh wow, that was an emotionally draining weekend, so sorry to hear about your grandmother. :o( The wedding however looked beautiful, you looked gorgeous, and I'm glad you all had a great time. Can't wait to hear about the honeymoon!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The pictures are gorgeous and sounds like the wedding was great.  I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother, that brought tears to my eyes. 

Have fun on your HM!  I have always wanted to go to Costa Rica.
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, what a weekend.  You looked beautiful! 

I'm sorry about your grandmother.  I'm sure she was there in spirit.

• edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  She's in a better place now . 

You look absolutely goregous in your wedding gown.  Congratulations on being married.  Now that it's over-- relax and enjoy your honeymoon
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, Allie....I am so sorry to hear about your grandma!  You really have had a tough time these last couple of weeks!  I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers!  Your pictures are gorgeous!!!  It looks like you had a great time in spite of all that was going on around you.  I hope everything goes ok with your trip to Jersey, and I hope you have a fabulous honeymoon!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alyson, I know it must have been such a combination of happy/sad this weekend! I'm so sorry for your loss, but I agree with everyone, you looked so gorgeous in your photos and your wedding sounds wonderful.

-- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Allie, you looked so beautiful!  I am so sorry about the passing of your grandmother and I am sure that she is smiling upon you and your new husband.  I hope that you get the opportunity to relax and recoup in Costa Rica!
    Addie and Matt - October 16, 2010
  • SassyPants150SassyPants150 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear about your grandmother!

Glad to hear though that the weekend was beautiful for your special day...congrats.  You looked gorgeous!
    Favorite thing about fall...Florida Football!

What's cookin'? BFP: May 16, 2011 DD born January 19, 2012 | Chart BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary imageBabyName Ticker

• edited December 2011

Love the picture of you two under the pier. You look gorgeous and so happy. I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother, I know she is so proud of you. :)

Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    wow...so sorry to hear about all of the craziness and your grandmother passing.  Congratulations on your marriage...you looked beautiful!

0Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats our your wedding. Sorry it was bitter sweet w/the passing of your grandma. Glad you are getting a chance to go to Jersey for the funeral. Hope things go well and hope you have a great honeymoon.

We had a meeting at the visitor center this week w/our wedding planner. It was mainly to meet her and toss around ideas. I noticed they had a lil memorial set up on the beach. I was wondering what that was all about. It must have been for that surfer. How sad!

I cant wait till 9/10/11 and to get married there. I think its an awesome little place. Thanks for recommending it.
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards