New Jersey
Options

NWR: Looking for a creative way to give money as a gift...

FI's mom is turning 50 next week.  She's in the process of trying to save up money to buy an apartment in South America (she's originally from Colombia).  Instead of a party or a gift, she wants us to give her money; however, I hate giving people plain cash or checks as gifts.  For example, one Christmas I gave a family member (who only wanted cash) a bunch of five dollar bills folded in the shape of little bows tied to a fake wreath.  She absolutely loved it and still talks about it to this day.

Since this a 50th birthday gift for FI's mom, though, I'm looking for something a little more creative.  Can anyone give me any ideas for creative ways of giving cash as a gift?  I already thought of making roses out of money, but I'd like to hear some other ideas too.

Any advice or suggestions would be great!  TIA!
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Looking for a creative way to give money as a gift...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    For my BIL's birthday his dad put it on a tree (a tree he could grow) it was really funny, and its suppose to be a family tradition for them, but no one could remember it being one lol.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My mom taped $50 in singles in a long roll, then coiled it around a rolling pin and gave it to me as a shower gift. The card said, "I hope you're always rolling in dough."

(The gift was "from" the family dog :P)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My Aunt used to do fun things with money for us for Bdays...one year for my brother she froze money in a block of ice.  She must have did one layer of ice in like a bread tray, put a bill on top and then put more water and froze another layer, then put another bill and more water and froze it, etc.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not nearly as ambitious as the other ideas, but you could always make origami houses out of the bills.  You can find instructions if you google.  

Or you could buy a book about home buying or about the country where she wants to move and tuck the money inside.
  • Options
    Roseinbloom2Roseinbloom2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my Dad for Christmas we gave him $100 in ones.  But we put the ones (they were brand new and crisp) in the dryer for a few minutes and they got super fluffy.  They we put them in a shoebox and wrapped them.  He loved it (it was for a ski trip) and so much better than $100 bill in an envelope :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards